User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should minimum wage be abolished?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

10 18.52%
  • No.

39 72.22%
  • I don't know.

5 9.26%
First 8910111220 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    also, if you actually were willing to work for 2$/hour babysitting, mowing lawns, walking dogs, etc I guarantee you that people will pay you. This is how I know that you haven't even put in an effort to find THOSE jobs. There's nothing stopping you from going door to door asking people to hire you. There's no minimum wage for those jobs.
    Exactly, if you think the government is jipping you out of a minimum wage job, guaranteed that private pay people will not. Most people would pay anyone 3 or 4 dollars an hour to do their odd jobs. Anyone, not even those with references or a great resume. That's how people start out building references that get you the job with a standard paycheck. If you can't look for those jobs, then you're just plain SOL because that just shows that you have no motivation whatsoever.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yup, plenty of people will pay you shit wages under the table to do menial labor...you can do those jobs. You could also probably pretty easily find a hellish "commission only" job at a call center or something.

Thing is, you abolish minimum wage, and most low paying jobs will be that way. It'll be like the 19th century all over again, people dying in factories and living in coal camps being paid with scrip with shit running down the hills.

Yes, third world living is the way to be....for elitist or deluded people who imagine they'll be the ones at the top.

Fucking Christ.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Okay... well, I would have to learn the language, somehow get a work visa or something there... and find a job as a foreigner.

Just as soon as I can figure out a way to do all that... you're on!

I would actually like to do that, and then report back if I could. I've never actually experienced anything like that before. At worst, it would help me understand where all of you are coming from. At best, I can tell you that I survived it, and you're all greedy and unreasonable.
    Actually all you'd have to do is travel to some of these countries, get hooked up with volunteer organizations who might be able to hook you up with 'home stays' to live with the people, etc. Forget about having to learn the language- you wouldn't have to. Simply visiting these countries and walking around and observing with your own eyes would do a lot. Or meet/hire a local who speaks english reasonably well and who could do some translating.

The reality is that you'd have to live in that country for quite some time to *really* get a feel for the ins and outs of things, and the cultural reality, as as a tourist who hasn't grown up there or really had all of that engrained, you'll always have a bit of a superficial sense of everything. But regardless, just getting your feet wet would open your eyes to many things that you can't possibly know by sitting in the comfort of your home on a computer in the U.S., theorizing about things you really don't know the reality of.

You can do pretty much anything - you're just setting up obstacles/excuses as to all the possible reasons why it can't be done, forgetting about all of the ways it can be.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    yupp

if we start a nudist colony that has a farm we could be self suffient, than fuck jobs. fuck america. fuck minimum. but until that happens we're stuck with what we got and getting rid of minimum wage isn't going to solve problems.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Exactly, if you think the government is jipping you out of a minimum wage job, guaranteed that private pay people will not. Most people would pay anyone 3 or 4 dollars an hour to do their odd jobs. Anyone, not even those with references or a great resume. That's how people start out building references that get you the job with a standard paycheck. If you can't look for those jobs, then you're just plain SOL because that just shows that you have no motivation whatsoever.
    Is that legal?

If so, I guess I should start looking for those jobs. All the ones I've applied to have offered minimum wage. I've specifically avoided applying to jobs that pay more, because I know that my qualifications are abysmal.

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    Actually all you'd have to do is travel to some of these countries, get hooked up with volunteer organizations who might be able to hook you up with 'home stays' to live with the people, etc. Forget about having to learn the language- you wouldn't have to. Simply visiting these countries and walking around and observing with your own eyes would do a lot.

You can do pretty much anything - you're just setting up obstacles/excuses as to all the possible reasons why it can't be done, forgetting about all of the ways it can be.
    No, not really. It just didn't occur to me that there might be such organizations in those countries.

To be honest, I've always been curious about what people in India are like... it would be interesting to go there and see the people. I really think I ought to go there at some point.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Is that legal?

If so, I guess I should start looking for those jobs. All the ones I've applied to have offered minimum wage. I've specifically avoided applying to jobs that pay more, because I know that my qualifications are abysmal.
    Yea it's legal to pay a kid whatever they'll take to walk dogs and rake leaves and watch their children. People do it all the time. Also, no one's qualifications are abysmal if they are willing to show up on time and sober and well dressed, and are willing to learn.

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    Even if all US citizens were taxed 100% of their income.. we would not be able to balance our budget.. we actually HAVE to borrow money to continue living the way we live..
    You have to either way. That's a matter of the money system. Money comes from the banks by giving credit. I heard some easy example to explain it. Let's say at a starting point there is 10 people who get a credit of 10$ each. So there is 100$ in the economy. The bank however takes 10% interests, so you have to pay back 11$ to pay back your debts. Now assume everyone had 10$ at the end of the loan time again, now no one can pay their debts, so everyone has to take a new credit to pay the old one. Of course the money could have been distributed differently, one guy could "loose" his money to the others so the others can pay their debts, but at least someone cannot pay back their debts so he has to take new debts to pay the old ones. That will continue as it goes, and that is our money system. It is impossible that at least everyone can pay back their debts, and since debts increase exponential because of interests, the debts get more and more and so no government can really pay their debts anymore. That's no problem as long as with the increasing amount of debts and money there comes an economic growth which represents that growth in money, but economy cannot grow exponentially all the time eventually. Either way, in the current system debts are not avoidable and so it does not help to make thoughts about how to pay back debts since you cannot anyway, you just can try to minimize the growth of debts.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhart View Post
    You have to either way. That's a matter of the money system. Money comes from the banks by giving credit. I heard some easy example to explain it. Let's say at a starting point there is 10 people who get a credit of 10$ each. So there is 100$ in the economy. The bank however takes 10% interests, so you have to pay back 11$ to pay back your debts. Now assume everyone had 10$ at the end of the loan time again, now no one can pay their debts, so everyone has to take a new credit to pay the old one. Of course the money could have been distributed differently, one guy could "loose" his money to the others so the others can pay their debts, but at least someone cannot pay back their debts so he has to take new debts to pay the old ones. That will continue as it goes, and that is our money system. It is impossible that at least everyone can pay back their debts, and since debts increase exponential because of interests, the debts get more and more and so no government can really pay their debts anymore. That's no problem as long as with the increasing amount of debts and money there comes an economic growth which represents that growth in money, but economy cannot grow exponentially all the time eventually. Either way, in the current system debts are not avoidable and so it does not help to make thoughts about how to pay back debts since you cannot anyway, you just can try to minimize the growth of debts.
    Good point.
    Were still going down =/
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    Were still going down =/

Nothing like hysteria to make a thread complete.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Nothing like hysteria to make a thread complete.
    I'm still waiting for the S and N stuff to come up.

All N's want to do is lower the minimum wage to deprive us S's of the jobs that we strived for. S's can't help it if we get all the good jobs with our real world practicalities. Thoughts anyone? / (I'm kidding. Don't answer that.)

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.