User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Default Cutting defense spending

One of the issues that frustrates me most about Republicans is their refusal to even discuss cuts in defense spending. It seems like an enormous blind spot to me. They complain about the waste in other parts of the government, and rightfully so, but when cutting defense spending is mentioned, they come up with an infinite number of excuses as to why that part of the budget should be off limits, or at best they say they'll "get to it later".

With the most recent debates over the budget and a potential government shutdown, this frustration for me is renewed. In my opinion, the Republicans are trying to play a political posturing game. They're trying to give the impression that they are a fiscally responsible party, but what they are saving is pennies compared to what could be saved by making cuts in Medicare and defense. This is the opposite of what they should be doing if they were actually trying to solve the budget problem.

It's one thing to call for cuts, but I don't know how much would be saved by doing something like closing 50% or more of the 700+ foreign military bases or completely cutting out certain contractors. The reason I'm starting this thread is that I'm interested in peoples' ideas on what exactly could be cut in the defense budget. If anyone has a detailed breakdown of where all of the defense money is going, I'd love to see it.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTj

You and I are on the same page on this one.

In reality, I want them to cut offense spending. I'm cool with the actual defense part.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6-5

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    You and I are on the same page on this one.

In reality, I want the to cut offense spending. I'm cool with the actual defense part.

Exactly. It's not a blind spot, it's called corruption.

To put it in perspective

Type 6w5 sp/so/sx I think..I have not fully explored this and just discovered it.

Can't provide a detailed breakdown but here's a breakdown of the entire 2011 proposed budget where there's a subcategory breakdown at a skyhigh level. If you run your cursor over each subcategory, it gives a one line description and the dollar amount comparison between 2010 to 2011.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...us/budget.html

National defense is a touchy subject. When discussing cuts, there's an emotional element involved considering the number of military personnel, their support network and their social network. The political rhetoric includes phrases like "the men and women who are willing to risk their lives to defend their country and beliefs".

Pragmatically speaking, if you reduce military spending, what will you replace it with when copious amounts of military personnel are flooded back into the current economic climate with high unemployment figures?

Also, if you consider the numbers of voters impacted by cuts, military could vote as a unit.

Agreed.

Ohh yeah, the Air Force just got into a 35B dollar contract with Boeing. I don't remember the issues with the military contractors... so I won't get into it until I can find the article about it.

EDIT: Now I remember, the military don't bargain enough for their money. If they find a contract they like, they just buy it... no bargaining. All in all, if people are that adamant about cutting, Defense, Medicare, and probably a bit on Social Security is the way to go.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Can't provide a detailed breakdown but here's a breakdown of the entire 2011 proposed budget where there's a subcategory breakdown at a skyhigh level. If you run your cursor over each subcategory, it gives a one line description and the dollar amount comparison between 2010 to 2011.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...us/budget.html
    Thanks, I've seen that before. I don't know what all of the terms refer to, specifically. What is the military "procuring"? Does "military personnel" include the salaries of all enlisted men and women? What all is covered under "operation and maintenance"? I would assume that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are included in that, but what else? Other foreign military bases?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

To be honest if the US where to cut defense spending radically, ie deal with the military industrial complex, its going to take a restructuring of the US and international economy and perhaps not in a way which would please those who would see the US military spending cut for reasons of "fiscal responsibility".

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Thanks, I've seen that before. I don't know what all of the terms refer to, specifically. What is the military "procuring"? Does "military personnel" include the salaries of all enlisted men and women? What all is covered under "operation and maintenance"? I would assume that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are included in that, but what else? Other foreign military bases?
    Wish I had a definitive breakdown as well. Any response to you would only be best guess on my part, based on business and finance terms so I don't want to lead anyone astray.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    EXPP

Remember Charlie Wilson's War? Blank checks to cover secret wars?

Well, yeah, it's the American Way.

It's not good, and it needs to be changed.
    a cat is fine too

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    To be honest if the US where to cut defense spending radically, ie deal with the military industrial complex, its going to take a restructuring of the US and international economy and perhaps not in a way which would please those who would see the US military spending cut for reasons of "fiscal responsibility".
    You can try to make similar arguments for many other government programs. That doesn't make it strong or valid. You're going to have to do more than make broad assertions like this.