User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 75

  1. #11
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    I don't want them to cut defense spending at all.

    The main reason for that, is because my mother works for a defense contractor, and her keeping her job depends on the government NOT cutting defense spending. I think a lot of other people would lose their jobs in that instance as well.

  2. #12
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Everything needs to be on the table for cuts.

    That's the only way we can make a substantive change to our fiscal outlook.

    This includes medicare and medicaid, social security, and defense.

  3. #13

    Default

    I hope to see more and more libertarians in the US being bold enough to field serious arguments against military spending and militarism because it could expose some of the contradictions in their ideology and the economy and perhaps put the first serious dent in their seemingly unassailable popularity.

    I think that finally once libertarianism has had its 1989 and suffers the same crisis as the more radical strains of revolutionary socialism or communism then the business of real politics could finally begin.

  4. #14
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    The first hearing I went to once I started work here in DC was a CATO hearing on reducing defense spending.

    Everyone here knows what needs to be done... It's just a matter of making it politically palatable to the masses.

    could expose some of the contradictions in their ideology and the economy and perhaps put the first serious dent in their seemingly unassailable popularity.
    That knife cuts both ways. There's a saying about glass houses and stones that comes to mind.

  5. #15

    Default

    Why is it so important to make cuts?

    I see this all as a huge indication of an economic pardigm in serious decline, savagely curtailing spending and cutting taxes isnt any substitute for real profit margins or growth but board rooms and shareholders appear to be convinced it is or will suffice in the interum until growth is possible again.

    In the UK the bonuses the, virtually nationalised and tax dependent, banks are handing out are indicative that the upper classes expect their lives to improve year on year whether there's a recession or not, if its going to be at the expense of everyone else then that's well and good, the services will be cut and the money redirected to their personal coffers.

    While I do think that some politicians will be happier to preside over this than others I ultimately think they'd all do the same thing, cutting spending also cuts the responsibility and liability of government and ultimately them personally.

    Anyone who breals with those norms would have to deal with their peers first and gamble that the financial sectors wont simply migrate to some place else and exact a terrible cost on them for their boldness in the process.

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    The first hearing I went to once I started work here in DC was a CATO hearing on reducing defense spending.

    Everyone here knows what needs to be done... It's just a matter of making it politically palatable to the masses.
    What masses is that then? Sounds like government's businesses appointed manager, there's me thinking it was a democracy.


    That knife cuts both ways. There's a saying about glass houses and stones that comes to mind.
    How so? I'm unsure what you mean by this.

  7. #17
    nee andante bechimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I hope to see more and more libertarians in the US being bold enough to field serious arguments against military spending and militarism because it could expose some of the contradictions in their ideology and the economy and perhaps put the first serious dent in their seemingly unassailable popularity.

    I think that finally once libertarianism has had its 1989 and suffers the same crisis as the more radical strains of revolutionary socialism or communism then the business of real politics could finally begin.
    Lots of fluff, not much stuff. What does this mean, especially considering all the subsets of libertarians and their beliefs. This is like saying:

    "I hope to see more socialists realise the lack of value within any kind of all-encompassing socialistic policies considering the fall of the USSR, East Germany and the erosion of China's once stringent Great Leap Backwards."

  8. #18
    Senior Member ScorpioINTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6-5
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I don't want them to cut defense spending at all.

    The main reason for that, is because my mother works for a defense contractor, and her keeping her job depends on the government NOT cutting defense spending. I think a lot of other people would lose their jobs in that instance as well.
    Kinda selfish reasoning. I suppose you vote republican for the same reason, despite any differences in ideology? (I've known people who do). People lose jobs. That is life. You move on.

    Does she not have skills that could be transferable to any other industry? If it meant the country spending itself into economic failure would you still feel the same way?

    One year of this unnecessary war spending alone could probably solve all our health care, education, economic problems at home.

    America is an empire and has no vulnerability to invasion. We have great geographic borders and positioning too. Military spending is far overstretched to be sustainable. Its kinda like buying a $50 DVD player and then purchasing a $30 extended warranty.

    Our entire way of life needs changing. Those who fail to adapt will be left behind. Just wait til the fresh water starts to run dry and global food demand rises. Will will wish we had the problems we have now.
    Type 6w5 sp/so/sx I think..I have not fully explored this and just discovered it.

  9. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Lots of fluff, not much stuff. What does this mean, especially considering all the subsets of libertarians and their beliefs. This is like saying:

    "I hope to see more socialists realise the lack of value within any kind of all-encompassing socialistic policies considering the fall of the USSR, East Germany and the erosion of China's once stringent Great Leap Backwards."
    No its not. That's a complete dodge.

    There are not that many subsets of libertarians and there is a far greater, not to mention simpler, coherence between different libertarian camps than there were or is between socialists, there isnt going to be any major schism between libertarian camps united by a simple "government is bad, needs to spend less, tax less, do less".

    While there are still plenty of socialists who're unphased by the harrowing history of their ideology if there's any good in the socialist camp at all it is in part a consequence of reflecting on its failures as successes.

    Libertarianism hasnt and doesnt look likely to be able to learn from the mistakes of others, instead it looks likely to carry on repeating the mantras that on "the morrow of the revolution we'll all live happily ever after" and if there's ever been a disappointment in the practical application of their ideas its always been because it "didnt go far enough". The diversity of libertarian thinking doesnt enter into that, its typical of them all.

  10. #20
    Senior Member chachamaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    EXPP
    Posts
    451

    Default

    Cut spending, not wrists.
    a cat is fine too

Similar Threads

  1. I'm sure we can find other places to cut spending
    By ygolo in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-26-2011, 08:56 AM
  2. We must cut entitlement spending
    By DiscoBiscuit in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 03-11-2011, 07:27 PM
  3. Hi, cut the grass here
    By disregard in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 04-26-2007, 11:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO