User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I suggest you avoid sickle-cell anemia, Orangey. It's racist, as are alpha and beta thalassemia.

Damned racist diseases...

MBTI
    INTP

Sickle-cell TRAIT on the other hand, is an unfair advantage in many circumstances...

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Sickle-cell TRAIT on the other hand, is an unfair advantage in many circumstances...
    If you live in sub-Saharan Africa.

MBTI
    INTj

It's clear that the author of this thread is African.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

^^ :ouch:

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I suggest you avoid sickle-cell anemia, Orangey. It's racist, as are alpha and beta thalassemia.

Damned racist diseases...
    Sickle-cell disease, usually presenting in childhood, occurs more commonly in people (or their descendants) from parts of tropical and sub-tropical regions where malaria is or was common. One-third of all indigenous inhabitants of Sub-Saharan Africa carry the gene,[2] because in areas where malaria is common, there is a fitness benefit in carrying only a single sickle-cell gene (sickle cell trait). Those with only one of the two alleles of the sickle-cell disease, while not more resistant, are more tolerant of infection and thus show less severe symptoms when infected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sickle-cell_disease
    The two major forms of the disease, alpha- and beta- (see below), are prevalent in discrete geographical clusters around the world - probably associated with malarial endemicity in ancient times. Alpha is prevalent in peoples of Western African descent, and is nowadays found in populations living in Africa and in the Americas. Beta is particularly prevalent among Mediterranean peoples, and this geographical association was responsible for its naming: Thalassa (θάλασσα) is Greek for the sea, Haema (αἷμα) is Greek for blood. In Europe, the highest concentrations of the disease are found in Greece, coastal regions in Turkey, in particular, Aegean Region such as Izmir, Balikesir, Aydin, Mugla and Mediterranean Region such as Antalya, Adana, Mersin, in parts of Italy, in particular, Southern Italy and the lower Po valley. The major Mediterranean islands (except the Balearics) such as Sicily, Sardinia, Malta, Corsica, Cyprus and Crete are heavily affected in particular. Other Mediterranean people, as well as those in the vicinity of the Mediterranean, also have high rates of thalassemia, including people from the West Asia and North Africa. Far from the Mediterranean, South Asians are also affected, with the world's highest concentration of carriers (16% of the population) being in the Maldives.

The thalassemia trait may confer a degree of protection against malaria, which is or was prevalent in the regions where the trait is common, thus conferring a selective survival advantage on carriers (known as heterozygous advantage), and perpetuating the mutation. In that respect the various thalassemias resemble another genetic disorder affecting hemoglobin, sickle-cell disease.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalassemia
    In other words, Africans have a high rate of these anormalies not because they belong to the "African race" but because the African continent is part of the worldwide net of malaria regions that almost all show this anormaly. It's not their "blackness" that causes these deseases, it's their "malarianess"! In this case, skin color is a red herring!

How do you connect the theory that there is a correlation between "race" and "intelligence" (two incredibly fuzzy and complex concepts) with the prevalence of an anti-malaria mutation in malaria regions that is apparently dependent on local climate and/or malaria threat rather than skin color/ethnicity/race?

Isn't this comparing apples and pears?

What about Rh blood groups?

Population data for the Rh D factor and the RhD neg allele
    Population Rh(D) Neg Rh(D) Pos Rh(D) Neg alleles
    European Basque approx 35% 65% approx 60%
    other Europeans 16% 84% 40%
    African American approx 7% 93% approx 26%
    Native Americans approx 1% 99% approx 10%
    African descent less 1% over 99% 3%
    Asian less 1% over 99% 1%

Does this mean that Basques are a race of their own? Actually, come to think of it, there are a few Basque nationalists who argue like that.
    Call ETA! We might be on to something here!!!
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    It's clear that the author of this thread is African.
    As must be most Americans.

MBTI
    INTj

Whatever, Archy. You didn't have to go there.

Besides, I'm Jewish. So no matter where you reside, I'm looking down on you.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    If you live in sub-Saharan Africa.
    Sort of, but malaria isn't exactly confined to Africa.