User Tag List

First 56789 Last

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Lets assume there is room for the facts to be known. I wouldn't say I support testing all hypotheses, merely that I cannot see anything wrong with wanting to know something.
    Just read the Bell Curve. that will satisfy your curiosity for 'truth'.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Also read "Tests: Building Blocks for the New Class System" by Noam Chomsky.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Just read the Bell Curve. that will satisfy your curiosity for 'truth'.
    Why is that?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Or read this article. Or "Vaulting Ambition: Sociobiology and the Quest for Human Nature" by Phillip Kitcher. Or any of the literature mentioned in that SEP article.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Or read this article. Or "Vaulting Ambition: Sociobiology and the Quest for Human Nature" by Phillip Kitcher. Or any of the literature mentioned in that SEP article.
    Oh, I already suspected as much.

>The current consensus among philosophers of biology is that heritability analyses are misleading about the genetic causes of human traits.

At the end of the day, heritability is heritability, and a person is a person. They cannot define each other to an extent that we would determine sufficient information about an individual, even knowing the whole of the individual's inherited traits. This much should be all too obvious for anyone interacting, even briefly, with siblings or twins. Throw the town or the country or the race into the mix and you aren't even grasping at straws, you're grasping at something more than nothing, but still less than straws...

MBTI
    NiTi
    Enneagram
    5w1

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    What you are saying is self-defeating due to your huge generalizations. The world is much more complicated.

Africa isnt just a big Savannah, it has some very diverse and very harsh climates that certainly require creativity and ingenuity to survive in. Africa is also the most genetically diverse place in the world; apparently the various different ethnic groups of Africa are more different from eachother genetically than all the people from the rest of the world (because the rest of the world is descended from the same group that migrated out of Egypt so very long ago). At times in history it has also had some of the most advanced and educated civilizations in the world, if I am not mistaken. It sounds like you are finding reasons to support your theory rather than creating a theory based on evidence.

I think the reason that questioning the status quo on race equality is unencouraged is because it is very, very dangerous. We as a human community are recovering from centuries of racism and colonization and exploitation that was justified by the logic that these people were inferior. To reopen the discussion on if they are inferior is just a terrible idea because all it could really amount to is more suffering and discrimination.

We do not even have a consensus on what intelligence is and it can not truly be quantified. The conversation on who is smarter than who is going nowhere, especially with the dark past surrounding the debate.

What is race even? It's not like when you walk across the world you reach a point where everyone's skin colour suddenly changes.
    You're right in many of your points, but I'm not talking about race so much as the heritability of intelligence in general. In the Southern United States, there's a higher proportion of inbreeding (Among whites, mind you). As you probably know, inbreeding leads to all sorts of genetic problems caused by deleterious alleles in a gene pool being amplified. What should we do about these people? If they breed with non-inbred, their offspring will be generally less intelligent than if there were no inbreds involved in the process. Do we make it illegal for people who are inbreds to have children? What about Iceland? Icelanders are pretty much all inbreds because the group of explorers who landed there was pretty small. They're one of the most advanced countries, in terms of living quality and social equality, in the world.

MBTI
    NiTi
    Enneagram
    5w1

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Too lazy to address the entire opening post but felt I had to respond to the Asian point.

How in the world would planned marriages make a difference considering that money/property, beauty and family name/honour were all that mattered? Yup, yup, got face, you smaht.
    Parents would rather choose a wealthy person than a poor person, and wealthy people are generally slightly more intelligent than poorer people. Again, this is all vague and our knowledge of genetics is far too limited to make any such conclusions; this is just pure speculation. We will never be able to find these things out for 100% certainty since it's impossible to separate people from their culture and environment.

MBTI
    NiTi
    Enneagram
    5w1

I'm not comparing minorities to inbreds, by the way.

MBTI
    NiTi
    Enneagram
    5w1

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    My mother is a blueblooded Asian, a classic example of inadvertent eugenics. She can trace her ancestry back many, many, many generations where they were all arranged marriages. Sound impressive?

There isn't a day that goes by where there isn't some kind of emergency of her own making. Her ability to get up and get ready in the mornings should be put in Ripley's Believe it or Not. Yes, she's that scatterbrained! She's forever using kitchen table chairs with removeable cushions on them, as stepladders. She's forever falling off the chairs since the cushions slip.

I made stew as a teenager. Then realising that I needed potatoes, ran out and bought a 10 lb bag, then prepped and put the potatoes into the stew. After the stew was ready, I told the family it was dinnertime, grabbed a bowl and went off to hideout and eat in my bedroom. After finishing eating, I came back out to put the bowl in the sink and saw her peeling potatoes. I asked her why she was peeling potatoes and she said in a sarcastic voice "why else did you buy the potatoes if not to put into the stew?". Has anyone ever seen a stew that required 10 lbs of potatoes? Has anyone ever been told that it was dinnertime, then without checking in the pot sitting on the stove, proceeds to prep more ingredients for a dish you weren't cooking?

The stories I could tell about a woman who can turn her head and forget her name! Maybe one day she'll wander off and leave her body behind.

So Perch, don't go there about Asians, arranged marriages etc. Inbreeding is bad.
    What? What is this? What does this have to do with genetics? I don't care about your boring irrelevant example. Logic and evidence are the way to prove your point, not anecdotes.

MBTI
    NiTi
    Enneagram
    5w1

Quote Originally Posted by chachamaru View Post

Topic needs to die.
    Agreed. I don't want any new thoughts or thinking about controversial things. Anything that isn't familiar to me I immediately dismiss. Now where's my shitty anime and 4chan? I want to laugh at uninspired image macros and lolcats, not use my brain for thought and discussion.