First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    So yes, by any definition, thinking that the theory could be substanciated would be racist. The only difference is that the day that would happen we'd have a paradigm shift and racism would be considered scientifically founded rather than pathetic bullshit born out of insecurities and ignorance.
    Yeah, and I'm not holding my breath.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

"Race" exists, but is not discriminated on the basis of skin colour. A scientific conception of race is based on genetic similarities of specific population groups. As such, it makes little sense saying that an individual is a member of a race.

IQ itself has a rocky history and given the greatly varying methodologies, as well as education levels around the world, it is hard to say how much such results actually reflects the actual intelligence differences between population groups.

There are many artifacts. For example, certain languages are very visual, compared to the latin alphabet. Would you expect that practise with such a language would lead to higher scores on IQ tests with more visual pattern based questions?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    That's a little lofty for this context, isn't it? He's stated his opinion on an internet forum...it's not like he's conducting an experiment or even doing any research. And isn't it a little naive to believe that ALL hypotheses are worth testing?
    Lets assume there is room for the facts to be known. I wouldn't say I support testing all hypotheses, merely that I cannot see anything wrong with wanting to know something.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Too lazy to address the entire opening post but felt I had to respond to the Asian point.

How in the world would planned marriages make a difference considering that money/property, beauty and family name/honour were all that mattered? Yup, yup, got face, you smaht.
    because that's not all that's considered. I can't speak for Chinese planned marriages, but I've looked a little into Indian arranged marriages and they surprised me. it's not like your parents are just like "marry this guy because I want you to". no, what they do is sit down with the son/daughter and make a profile of sorts for what they require for a good marriage. for instance, this may include looks, basic personality features, personality features not to have, age and how frequently they want sex. then the parents go out and find suitors and they go on a few dates with each and determine which ones they want, if any. because of this, the divorce rate among Indian Americans (as opposed to Native Americans) is fraction of that of the rest of the population. most americans just marry based on "true love" (lol) and follow their hearts (or their hormones) without making any sort of rational connections like
    1) can it work
    2) what are they going to be like when they're older
    3) what am I going to be like when I'm older
    4) what are they going to look like they're older
    5) feelings aside, can we function well as a couple. emphasis on feelings aside.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    because that's not all that's considered. I can't speak for Chinese planned marriages, but I've looked a little into Indian arranged marriages and they surprised me. it's not like your parents are just like "marry this guy because I want you to". no, what they do is sit down with the son/daughter and make a profile of sorts for what they require for a good marriage. for instance, this may include looks, basic personality features, personality features not to have, age and how frequently they want sex. then the parents go out and find suitors and they go on a few dates with each and determine which ones they want, if any. because of this, the divorce rate among Indian Americans (as opposed to Native Americans) is fraction of that of the rest of the population. most americans just marry based on "true love" (lol) and follow their hearts (or their hormones) without making any sort of rational connections like
    1) can it work
    2) what are they going to be like when they're older
    3) what am I going to be like when I'm older
    4) what are they going to look like they're older
    5) feelings aside, can we function well as a couple. emphasis on feelings aside.
    i'm assuming the divorce rate is lower there because of their cultural values, i don't think that's a fair comparison. i'm sure some people are happy in their arranged marriages but are you trying to suggest that everyone should do it? lol

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    i'm assuming the divorce rate is lower there because of their cultural values, i don't think that's a fair comparison. i'm sure some people are happy in their arranged marriages but are you trying to suggest that everyone should do it? lol
    not quite. what I am suggesting people do is think rationally about marriage. it's not just "oh we love each other, things will work out". if they do, then that couple was extremely lucky.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

not quite. what I am suggesting people do is think rationally about marriage. it's not just "oh we love each other, things will work out". if they do, then that couple was extremely lucky.
    I totally agree with this.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i'd much rather take that risk than be stuck in a loveless marriage that my parents chose for me.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    I think it would be better if we simply cast aside preconceived notions that arranged marriages are absolutely nonfunctional, and instead consider all the considerations (which derive from more than simply 2 individuals) that go into making the decision. Arranged marriages clearly work just fine, otherwise they wouldn't occur at such high frequency, over such a long time (pre-biblical at least), and in so many places.

Here is a book about this topic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bell_Curve

While genetics (30-40%) plays a role in IQ, environment is the largest determining factor of IQ.
    Last edited by ubiquitous1; 03-02-2011 at 03:33 PM. Reason: The 30-40% statistic is from a cognitive psychology book, not The Bell Curve.