User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    And please, before this gets out of hand, I'll send a reminder to you all to not even get close to using the terms IQ and intelligence interchangably
    This is an important point. It deserves special emphasis. I, for one, am glad I don't often have to deal with psychometrics. They seem so inadequate for this sort of thing.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    What you are saying is self-defeating due to your huge generalizations. The world is much more complicated.

Africa isnt just a big Savannah, it has some very diverse and very harsh climates that certainly require creativity and ingenuity to survive in. Africa is also the most genetically diverse place in the world; apparently the various different ethnic groups of Africa are more different from eachother genetically than all the people from the rest of the world (because the rest of the world is descended from the same group that migrated out of Egypt so very long ago). At times in history it has also had some of the most advanced and educated civilizations in the world, if I am not mistaken. It sounds like you are finding reasons to support your theory rather than creating a theory based on evidence.

I think the reason that questioning the status quo on race equality is unencouraged is because it is very, very dangerous. We as a human community are recovering from centuries of racism and colonization and exploitation that was justified by the logic that these people were inferior. To reopen the discussion on if they are inferior is just a terrible idea because all it could really amount to is more suffering and discrimination.

We do not even have a consensus on what intelligence is and it can not truly be quantified. The conversation on who is smarter than who is going nowhere, especially with the dark past surrounding the debate.

What is race even? It's not like when you walk across the world you reach a point where everyone's skin colour suddenly changes.
    A very good post.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Perch420 View Post
    Asians and Jews have a higher IQ on average. Why is that?
    You apparently missed the 'Tiger Mom' thread.

Incidentally, just about every culture has had arranged marriages.

My mother is a blueblooded Asian, a classic example of inadvertent eugenics. She can trace her ancestry back many, many, many generations where they were all arranged marriages. Sound impressive?

There isn't a day that goes by where there isn't some kind of emergency of her own making. Her ability to get up and get ready in the mornings should be put in Ripley's Believe it or Not. Yes, she's that scatterbrained! She's forever using kitchen table chairs with removeable cushions on them, as stepladders. She's forever falling off the chairs since the cushions slip.

I made stew as a teenager. Then realising that I needed potatoes, ran out and bought a 10 lb bag, then prepped and put the potatoes into the stew. After the stew was ready, I told the family it was dinnertime, grabbed a bowl and went off to hideout and eat in my bedroom. After finishing eating, I came back out to put the bowl in the sink and saw her peeling potatoes. I asked her why she was peeling potatoes and she said in a sarcastic voice "why else did you buy the potatoes if not to put into the stew?". Has anyone ever seen a stew that required 10 lbs of potatoes? Has anyone ever been told that it was dinnertime, then without checking in the pot sitting on the stove, proceeds to prep more ingredients for a dish you weren't cooking?

The stories I could tell about a woman who can turn her head and forget her name! Maybe one day she'll wander off and leave her body behind.

So Perch, don't go there about Asians, arranged marriages etc. Inbreeding is bad.

MBTI
    intp

It's not that it's wrong to ask this question; to deny physical differences is to deny the value of genetic diversity, and to deny cultural differences is to deny the strength we gain by learning from others. However, there is risk in assigning value based on these differences, and humans are very, very good at doing that. Measurements of things like intelligence are, by nature, somewhat arbitrary and extremely judgmental, and certain groups would happily use them as an excuse to subjugate others. For that reason, this question has to be approached with extreme caution.

I think that a better question would be, what impact does culture have on intelligence? What happens when a kid grows up in a culture that values education highly? One that values conformity over individuality? One where half the population goes to jail, and almost no one graduates from high school? These are things that people can control and change in an ethical manner, so in my mind this is a more productive question to answer.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Well, the thing is, even if Africans are of inferior intelligence, that doesn't justify mistreating them. Especially since SOME of them would still have high intelligence, even if the majority of them didn't.

Also, if this were widely believed, a lot of people would call for racial cleansing, or at least demand that miscegenation be outlawed. None of this would lead to anything good in terms of intercultural trade and communication.

So, I think that we should hold off on finding out whether some races are less intelligent, until we can find a way of stimulating their brain development to compensate for this fact, and then make it irrelevant.

Oberon

This topic came up once before and I was informed by several members of the forum that race doesn't exist... so I let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    This topic came up once before and I was informed by several members of the forum that race doesn't exist...
    The Chicago Marathon. Schmuck.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    EXPP

Topic needs to die.
    a cat is fine too

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    This topic came up once before and I was informed by several members of the forum that race doesn't exist... so I let it go.
    I remember explaining that to you. What didn't you understand? Do you have anything substantive to add here?