MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default "Clean" NY Mayor (Cheaters!) -- Might Resign

Most of you have probably heard of this by now:

NEW YORK - Gov. Eliot Spitzer's political career teetered on the brink of collapse Monday after the corruption-fighting politician once known as "Mr. Clean" was accused of paying for a four-hour romp with a high-priced call girl.

The scandal drew immediate calls for the Democrat to step down. At a news conference before about 100 reporters, a glassy-eyed Spitzer, his shellshocked wife at his side, apologized to his family and the people of New York.

"I have disappointed and failed to live up to the standard I expected of myself," said the 48-year-old father of three teenage girls. "I must now dedicate some time to regain the trust of my family."...
    Here is what puzzles me when these things happen (seemingly all the time).

1. The person in question put themselves on a pedestal, thinking they could do no wrong.
    2. Other people treated the person as if they could do no wrong.
    3. When the person does wrong, suddenly he publicly castigates himself and is mercilessly whipped by those who helped put him on the pedestal.

What is this odd pattern? Where people (and others) think too highly of themselves, then are shocked when they actually do err and insist on full and devastating punishment?

If Spitzer had a more realistic appraisal of his own humanity, would he have erred at all? Would others have attacked him so mercilessly? Curious...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Hmm, I'm not really that familiar with Spitzer's history as "Mr. Clean", but it seems you analysis is missing a crucial element- the public. When public figures are "put on pedestals" - is it themselves, or is it the public? Or a function of both, as perhaps he (and perhaps others who had his same goals) needed the image of "Mr. Clean" in order to galvanize interest in his project/ gain clout. And the media needed an unlifting story.

And now, when he has been publically called out on his law-breaking, is that genuine remorse and shock - or is it merely a game? He's lost, so he's going to fall down as a pawn in order to avoid creating further mess for those associated with him (Democratic party, government, etc.)- and full well knowing the "public" has a long history of forgiving those who appear repetant (Bill Clinton, Rush Limbaugh, etc). And the media has turned on him for a more interesting story, so to speak- when perhaps all along he was the same person. (Though you could also argue he changed.)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    Hmm, I'm not really that familiar with Spitzer's history as "Mr. Clean", but it seems you analysis is missing a crucial element
    welp... it was a pretty thin analysis, I just wanted to get the ball rolling...

more later when I get time.
    but, no, I don't really think it's remorse... unless there is remorse in getting caught.
    (I just felt bad seeing his wife standing there next to him, she's in a no-winner here...)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    1. The person in question put themselves on a pedestal, thinking they could do no wrong.
    3. When the person does wrong, suddenly he publicly castigates himself and is mercilessly whipped by those who helped put him on the pedestal.

What is this odd pattern? Where people (and others) think too highly of themselves, then are shocked when they actually do err and insist on full and devastating punishment?

If Spitzer had a more realistic appraisal of his own humanity, would he have erred at all? Would others have attacked him so mercilessly? Curious...
    Not caffeinated enough to form a response, so I'll go for a derail instead.

Spitzer, xNTJ?
    Extremes: Need To Pursue

I like my cars fast, my music loud, and my women even faster and louder!

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Most of you have probably heard of this by now:

Here is what puzzles me when these things happen (seemingly all the time).

I don't know his past.. only what I've heard recently but I think the problem wasn't that he thought he could do no wrong but that he had made many enemies by judging (for political/power reasons) them in the same way he's being judged now. What goes around comes around. As for castigating himself, as far as I'm concerned, that's a political maneuver. He's doing that while henchmen have been sent out to defend him. I can't think of his name right now but the Texan who invented spin was already on TV doing that. This guy works for Hillary and ran her hubby's campaign. I expect to see more of the big gun spinners coming out of the cracks. The spin is "What's so wrong with what he did?" Doesn't everyone?" Forget it was a felony. Pretty much the same thing they did with boy Clinton.

MBTI
    INTJ

I don't see anything wrong with it personally. His social life isn't my concern (even if he was Texas governor). It would have barely made the news in most countries.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with it personally. His social life isn't my concern (even if he was Texas governor). It would have barely made the news in most countries.
    He went after criminals in much the same manner he was caught.

How Spitzer was brought down by the same kind of investigation he pioneered. - By Daniel Gross - Slate Magazine

He is a hypocrite, and it's always good to see hypocrites in power exposed.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

It's an odd pattern. I don't know if they attack something because they hate it about themselves or if they get over confident because they believe their knowledge of their pet crime/vice is extensive enough to keep them from getting caught or if they become so immersed in it that they need to try it out for themselves or if it's something that doesn't occur to me. It's an interesting pattern, though.

Personally, if a couple decides that they want an open marriage, I don't have a problem with it, but as a public figure, you either have to be unapologetically open about it or extremely discrete. Taking a single mistress and making it worthwhile to her to keep a low profile by supporting her in a manner in which she is not accustomed would have been smarter and easier on his family.

If the marriage is not open and one partner is betraying the trust and risking the health of the other partner, that's just a pretty crumby thing to do, IMO.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    He went after criminals in much the same manner he was caught.

How Spitzer was brought down by the same kind of investigation he pioneered. - By Daniel Gross - Slate Magazine

He is a hypocrite, and it's always good to see hypocrites in power exposed.

MBTI
    INTJ

Everyone is a hypocrite. People in power don't get there by being nice guys. And if they do, they don't stay long.

And I can't believe that he wouldn't be attacked for this if he hadn't focused on crime fighting.

There's a ton of cops out there who have smoked marijuana but that doesn't keep them from arresting people for it.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume