User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Well, it is not really up to us how such things are really done, is it?
    Yeah, stupid U.S. Constitution with its silly freedoms of assembly and religion and association. . .
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Yeah, stupid U.S. Constitution with its silly freedoms of assembly and religion and association. . .
    Money rules in a plutocracy.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Money rules in a plutocracy.
    I don't think it's money in this example. I really think it's puritanism. It's funny; the attitude is almost "Don't sully the sex by adding money to the equation." It just doesn't make sense that adultery and fornication are legal, but prostitution is not. If Spitzer had been plowing the neighbor's wife, he may still get taken down politically, but he wouldn't be worried about federal charges.

heart on fire

Sure, if you feel more comfortable with the obvious position of puritianism, that's fine. I don't think that the obvious answer is always the one at play.

One either sees it or they don't. Doesn't matter either way to me or to the way things are. The world keeps on a turning anyway. The more we expect and push for change, the more things stay the same. The reason? We never get to the core issues, we accept the wrapper for what the box contains inside.

Money represents power and power pulls the strings. Give the people a bang up show and they put their money down, too busy stuffing their faces with popcorn and laughing it up to pay attention to what really goes on.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

From the little bit I'm reading, he did tick off some money. Supposedly there were cheers on Wall Street when the news came out. He prosecuted somekinda financial thingamajigs (Don told me, but I suck with details).
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

What I don't understand is, why do they always make the spouse stand up there with them during the public confession?

She didn't do anything wrong; why should she be part of the public spectacle.

He's the one who's humiliated himself. He should go up there alone and take it like a man.
    There's reason to be afraid, and reason to open your heart. ~ Seal

Refreshment for your ears: www.kexp.org

MBTI
    ISTP

Spitzer deserves it. I especially disliked what he did with Greenberg. He brought charges against him, made a big spectacle out of it, basically forced him out of the company he ran for 37 years.....and then, all the criminal charges got dropped, and it looks like the civil ones will be too.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by anii View Post
    What I don't understand is, why do they always make the spouse stand up there with them during the public confession?
    Did you get a good look at her? She's clearly a robot.

Besides, the chances that she actually loves him are slim to none.

MBTI
    GONE

The spouse and usually kids as well, are always up there to show the public that the family unit is still intact and the family is behind them. Apparently it's opinion suicide if you even hint that your own family is not backing you 100%, especially in instances of infidelity (and moreso when that infidelity involves a member of the same sex).

If you don't even have your family together as a politician, you basically suck as a person and have no business trying to tell other people how to run their own families. Which is why it used to be (and still is) a big deal when politicians get a divorce. It's also rare to see a single congressman.

Something must be very wrong with you to have your own family reject you and if you are in the middle of a crisis control, it's baaad news. When people are still on the fence about hanging you or letting you stick around and they see your own family has deserted you, they will desert you too. And finally, in infidelity cases, it's to show the public that the politician is not a homewrecker and/or not gay.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    The spouse and usually kids as well, are always up there to show the public that the family unit is still intact and the family is behind them. Apparently it's opinion suicide if you even hint that your own family is not backing you 100%, especially in instances of infidelity (and moreso when that infidelity involves a member of the same sex).

If you don't even have your family together as a politician, you basically suck as a person and have no business trying to tell other people how to run their own families. Which is why it used to be (and still is) a big deal when politicians get a divorce. It's also rare to see a single congressman.

Something must be very wrong with you to have your own family reject you and if you are in the middle of a crisis control, it's baaad news. When people are still on the fence about hanging you or letting you stick around and they see your own family has deserted you, they will desert you too. And finally, in infidelity cases, it's to show the public that the politician is not a homewrecker and/or not gay.
    I'd be willing to believe that a guy who was about to spend $3,300 on a call girl is not gay, but the whole "family" thing takes the edge off, I guess. For me, I'd embarrass my cheating celebrity spouse on TV.