User Tag List

Default Who cares about the young and jobless?

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/02/2...uth/index.html
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/22/ma...od-t.html?_r=2
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...WhatsNewsFifth
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/02/2...ers/index.html

These articles made me laugh. Yes, I seem to be part (maybe unwillingly) of that 20 something crowd. The crowd that doesn't believe that he/she might not find a rewarding degree until much later (who knows... and BS/BA degree doesn't mean good enough pay these days.) The crowd that believe that he/she won't really be marrying someone until much later in his/her life. The crowd that also somehow believes that the government don't give a crap about its own countries education. The crowd that believes that the government would rather cut spending to education only to yell back at the "youngins"(particularly GenYers) to say that education is failing and the fact that education costs even more because of the cuts (it has been said on and on... apply for financial aid, apply for loans, and apply for a job so you can go to college.) The crowd that gets shafted because the older generation were the cause of the debt and now they are willing to put into our shoulders to wrestle off the huge amount of debt just because it is "the right thing to do" when they aren't even thinking of pushing unemployment down before wrestling the debt. Yay! Go tea party that wants the young people to pay their own damn problem! Their own damn institutions that they so loved 40+ years ago that they also want to cut. Defense is such a priority when we rank so freakin low on our education compared to other countries.

I sound so pessimistic.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

We 20 somethings don't have the money for Washington to give a damn about us!

We're ranked #1 in confidence though:

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...idence/5j6xhcs

I'm not too worried about it. Things will work out for people, even if things change. Even if people start to protest left and right about the changes being propose....oh wait.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Rank 1 in ability aswell

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwcwqQa9fzM"].[/YOUTUBE]
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Rank 1 in ability aswell

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwcwqQa9fzM"].[/YOUTUBE]
    Fudge, I would be lucky if I can gulp half a glass of beer in twice the time of that video.

Quote Originally Posted by tawanda View Post
    We 20 somethings don't have the money for Washington to give a damn about us!
    Which is sad because they are willing to go crazy with making us pay for everything that was their fault in the first place by cutting every damn thing imaginable.

We're ranked #1 in confidence though:

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...idence/5j6xhcs
    Seen that before, funniest thing ever.

I'm not too worried about it. Things will work out for people, even if things change. Even if people start to protest left and right about the changes being propose....oh wait.
    And I hope the protests continue.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

The notion of "getting a job" is now past its prime. We need to create jobs, start-ups should be based on business ideas which can only be sold to other jobless-20-somethings, thus creating a parallel economy which - over time - will takeoever the old boring big businesses (they'll outsource everything anyway, by the time we're 40).
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Education doesn't get fixed by throwing money at the problem. Thats been proven time and time again with public school. The government just sucks at delivering superior... anything. When you have kids do them a favor and send them to private school, or move to a very wealthy/rich white neighborhood where the public school are of top quality (not because of available funding, but because of various demographic and social-psychological nuances). And I'd rather they clamp down on the debt now, even if it means some higher taxes. Its better than me getting into my late 20s/early 30s and finding that the USD isn't worth shit, food and oil costs are through the roof in the country, and it's influence on the world stage is horribly diminished. Oh wait, we're already getting there -_-. If you want to be FAIR about it, the boomers should have their social security cut back and have to pay higher tax rates for all the debt partying they did in their time, instead of levying it against the younger generations.

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Education doesn't get fixed by throwing money at the problem. Thats been proven time and time again with public school. The government just sucks at delivering superior... anything. When you have kids do them a favor and send them to private school, or move to a very wealthy/rich white neighborhood where the public school are of top quality (not because of available funding, but because of various demographic and social-psychological nuances). And I'd rather they clamp down on the debt now, even if it means some higher taxes. Its better than me getting into my late 20s/early 30s and finding that the USD isn't worth shit, food and oil costs are through the roof in the country, and it's influence on the world stage is horribly diminished. Oh wait, we're already getting there -_-.
    It does, at least when it comes to higher education. Many of the public colleges are dependent enough to the government that even if just a little bit of the funding gets cut, somewhere along the lines education gets cut. Professors get cut, classes cost more, classes get cut (less classes for students to get into), classes size get bigger, newer prospective students won't be allowed in because the college has accepted the maximum amount that they could for the year because of money issues. It is to the point that the very popular public colleges cost as much or even more than the private colleges. The colleges have to make a decision, cut faculty earnings, or cut some of them altogether or push the cost towards the students so that they pay more

Along those lines, the students have to pay. Whether it be working longer hours, taking out more loans, or not being able to get into the class that they need/want. Not to mention students that are in the fine line between not being able to get financial aid but still needing quite a bit of income to attend college have to find some way to pay for it.

Another way to fix education is to use a bit of that money to develop ways to make a better education. Very much like the costly billion dollar experiments the Defense Department is spending. Find a way to fix the teachers union without lashing out at unions altogether. Find a way to fix how classes are taught.

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    If you want to be FAIR about it, the boomers should have their social security cut back and have to pay higher tax rates for all the debt partying they did in their time, instead of levying it against the younger generations.
    Fine by me. Might help taxing some early GenXers too since a bit of them really want to pay off the debt by cutting everything. And not to mention the tea party. If they are willing to cut everything to pay off the debt, they should also be taxed.