User Tag List

123 Last

Default Drug scenes and Drug users

I'm watching a series of documentaries created by the BBC about drugs which are entitled "How do drugs work" and focusing on a particular substance each week, cannibas, ecstacy, MDMA, speed, cocaine.

The substances are different each week are different, the Dr. House style computer generated images demonstrate how it effects the heart, lungs, circulation, respiration etc. etc.

However while the drugs and their effects are different each week the people using them and the sort of social scene and world they are inhabit doesnt change at all.

They all seem to be assholes, reckless and dumb teenagers or people in their twenties, although, seriously, some of it made me think WTF how do you function with a chronological age which is so, so obviously ahead of your emotional age.

The other thing is that while some of the scenes look very different, with sluming rich kids, sink estate kids, yuppies which are obviously in different income or status brackets they all are strikingly similar in apparent behaviour and norms.

The other thing which I found shocking was the extent to which all these people were complete social imbeciles, they all describe complete series of emotional states and cognitive reactions etc. which generations and generations have seriously studied, contemplated, written about, concentrated on but none of the users seemed that bookish to be honest and it was like "Forget that shit, lets short cut it all with this muthafunking sheeeeeeeeettttt!!!".

What's anyone else's experiences or perspective?

BTW if you're a user dont take this personally, I'm talking about the select population featured in TV documentaries, you might consider it propaganda or bullshit but I've also mixed with a lot of people who're immersed in scenes like this too and its accurate in my experience.

MBTI
    INTP

I believe that there are a large number of immature people who use drugs of all different kinds.

Not all drug users are dumb and immature, just sayin...

MBTI
    INTP

Obviously, but if you're going to make a show for television, you better be showing something interesting

Dumb people are quite capable of fulfilling this need

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Producers might have a tiny bit of an agenda...

I have met some really incompetent users, and some very intelligent users who did stupid things, some who were emotional perceptive, some emotionally crippled. Some of it has to do with the particular social circle, some of it is universal.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

More polarizing subjects.. excellent !! Lets the games begin.

*Prepares for the same old generic arguments* *thinks about hearing those generics arguments* *yawns* *leaves*

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I partly blame the drug problem in the US on prohibition. By criminalization, you only really exacerbate the problem by adding things such as organized crime, and the reluctance to seek treatment because of the fear of being branded as some sort of social deviant. As far as younger generations go, I think part of the reason drug use is so prevalent in that age demographic is because the social stigma surrounding it, accompanied with having an age group who reaching the point of finally developing their own personal freedoms after they've spent the vast majority of their lives under regulation from either their parental figures, or other authority figures, and are now only trying to discover their personal identities, but are acting out in defiance of the established social rules and norms. Also, I take the long term detrimental effects of illegal drugs on the body with a grain of salt. With all the disgusting shit we pollute our bodies on a daily basis that are perfectly legal, it's largely irrelevant on an individual basis in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    Producers might have a tiny bit of an agenda...

I have met some really incompetent users, and some very intelligent users who did stupid things, some who were emotional perceptive, some emotionally crippled. Some of it has to do with the particular social circle, some of it is universal.
    Perhaps but I tend to think that what the show illustrated and has been borne out by my own experience was that despite the different social circles they all wind up converging in the same burnt out mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    More polarizing subjects.. excellent !! Lets the games begin.

*Prepares for the same old generic arguments* *thinks about hearing those generics arguments* *yawns* *leaves*

Wait, is this the guy who had a go at everyone for ridiculing a poster and by passing their (frankly confused ran of a) topic lately?

I think so

MBTI
    INFP

A lot of people do drugs. A lot of people are stupid. Logically, there are a lot of stupid people that do drugs. But, stupid people do a lot of things. And they make for great tv.