User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I am a member of a polity. That polity is called the Commonwealth of Australia. And we are liberal democratic. So one of the duties of Australians is to obey laws that are democratically arrived at, unless they offend one's conscience.

If a democratic law offends one's conscious then one may engage in civil disobedience. However an essential element of civil disobedience is to advise the police once an act of civil disobedience has been committed. This is simply an act of good faith.
    Have you ever disagreed with a position your government has taken?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    I understand that, but what would I even say?
    If you are acting in good faith, you simply say, I have committed an act of civil disobedience at such and such a time, at such and such a place and of such and such a kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Have you ever disagreed with a position your government has taken?
    In a liberal democracy, such as my own, half the country disagrees with the elected government. However in voting we agree to follow the laws of the elected government of the day, unless they offend our conscience, and then we may decide to commit a public act of civil disobedence. Anything else is undemocratic.

One might say that the essence of liberal democracy is that we agree on how we will disagree.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

In a liberal democracy, such as my own, half the country disagrees with the elected government. However in voting we agree to follow the laws of the elected government of the day, unless they offend our conscience, and then we may decide to commit a public act of civil disobedence. Anything else is undemocratic.

One might say that the essence of liberal democracy is that we agree on how we will disagree.
    Why do you agree with certain positions your government has taken and not others?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Because an essential element of a legitimate act of civil disobedience, is to turn yourself into the police after committing the act.

Forgive me for not believing you, but I have noticed that druggies are liars and cowards, without a shred of dignity.
    Victor real drug addicts are sick. They have mental and/or emotional illness.

I understand your frustration with addicts, I wouldn't do well working with them myself, but it's a bit ridiculous to expect people to turn themselves into the police.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

OP: Not amongst a lot of heavy drug users by any means, but it would make sense to me that since drugs have a tendency to distort reality, they would also delay maturity in the real world. A lot of people do drugs and alcohol so that they don't have to face problems and emotions. And, facing problems and emotions is an essential part of becoming mature. Hence, higher amounts of drug users appearing immature for their age. (Regardless of their original circumstance and reasoning.)

(Only read the first couple of pages, sorry if I am repeating!)
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Why do you agree with certain positions your government has taken and not others?
    We don't just have a government. We have nine parliaments and each pariliament has at least a government and an opposition. So this means we have eighteen potential governments at each election.

But why do I agree with some policies and not other? Well I consider the national interest and my own interest and balance between them.

However I would emphasise that our Constitution is procedural, whereas yours is ideological, so as long as the procedure is followed, that is, the procedure of how we will disagree, I am happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Victor real drug addicts are sick. They have mental and/or emotional illness.

I understand your frustration with addicts, I wouldn't do well working with them myself, but it's a bit ridiculous to expect people to turn themselves into the police.
    A disease is caused by a leison or an infectious agent. And addiction is not caused by a leison or infectious agent.

Imagine if one hundred thousand druggies commited a public act of civil disobedience and then turned themselve into the police, surely at that point we could call it a successful act of civil disobedience.

Civil disobedience was good enought for law abiding Gandhi, why not us?

MBTI
    INTP

Civil disobedience was good enought for law abiding Gandhi, why not us?
    I'm a fan of the referendum, myself. Democracy and all that, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    I'm a fan of the referendum, myself. Democracy and all that, you know.
    Sure, a referendum, an election or civil disobedience are all legitimate ways of changing the law. What is illegitimate is breaking the law. And anyway, breaking the law doesn't even change the law.