User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    I partly blame the drug problem in the US on prohibition. By criminalization, you only really exacerbate the problem by adding things such as organized crime, and the reluctance to seek treatment because of the fear of being branded as some sort of social deviant. As far as younger generations go, I think part of the reason drug use is so prevalent in that age demographic is because the social stigma surrounding it, accompanied with having an age group who reaching the point of finally developing their own personal freedoms after they've spent the vast majority of their lives under regulation from either their parental figures, or other authority figures, and are now only trying to discover their personal identities, but are acting out in defiance of the established social rules and norms. Also, I take the long term detrimental effects of illegal drugs on the body with a grain of salt. With all the disgusting shit we pollute our bodies on a daily basis that are perfectly legal, it's largely irrelevant on an individual basis in my opinion.

Well, the users havent heard its prohibited or dont care so I'm not sure how that influences things, you think people are just getting wasted because its naughty or outlawed? I doubt it, although what's society gonig to do when its finally dispensed with its taboos and there's nothing forbidden anymore?

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Drug scenes and Drug users
    Lark, it depends on which drugs you mean. If you mean party drugs, then yes, there are lots of young and/or immature people wanting to escape reality and party as a group. Let's not forget alcohol. It's always at parties, no matter what else.
    Hard drugs are usually taken by people in isolation, who have experienced some severe trauma, usually in childhood, such as abandonment, physical or psychological abuse, rape, etc. The severity of the addiction roughly indicates the severity of the trauma.
    The first group is immature. The second is tragic, and in need of compassion. That's my perspective.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Drug scenes and Drug users
    Lark, it depends on which drugs you mean. If you mean party drugs, then yes, there are lots of young and/or immature people wanting to escape reality and party as a group. Let's not forget alcohol. It's always at parties, no matter what else.
    Hard drugs are usually taken by people in isolation, who have experienced some severe trauma, usually in childhood, such as abandonment, physical or psychological abuse, rape, etc. The severity of the addiction roughly indicates the severity of the trauma.
    The first group is immature. The second is tragic, and in need of compassion. That's my perspective.
    If you're describing drug use/abuse, especially amongst an immature population and alcohol isn't the first, most obvious thing to come to mind, you must be out of touch with reality. The "drug scene" is dominated by alcohol, and few other substances carry the same weight. It is always amusing to see the public sidestep this glaring truth, but there comes a point where we have to make it known again.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    If you're describing drug use/abuse, especially amongst an immature population and alcohol isn't the first, most obvious thing to come to mind, you must be out of touch with reality. The "drug scene" is dominated by alcohol, and few other substances carry the same weight. It is always amusing to see the public sidestep this glaring truth, but there comes a point where we have to make it known again.
    Agreed. I don't know the stats about it, but it would surprise me if it causes more death and social upheaval than any other. It is ubiquitous.

MBTI
    intp

My first thought on this is that there will be a selection bias in this sort of thing. People who will admit to drug use on national television have a lot in common with people who post drug usage on face book; they're more likely to be exhibitionist and less likely to understand or face consequences for doing it. For instance, let's say both a first-year arts student and a reputable lawyer smoke marijuana. The lawyer will have more life experience, an older and more conservative peer group, and a lot more to lose from participating in this type of thing than the student. As a result, these younger more naive individuals end up making fools of themselves while purporting to represent a much wider range of individuals.

On a side note, drug prohibition has an interesting impact on the demographics of users. For instance, before opiates became illegal, two thirds of users were women.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

The TV series is clearly just trying to reinforce a stereotype that drug users are complete and utter immature scum, and that by doing drugs you'll be absorded into a culture with a bad social stigma. Honestly, certain hard drgus may have catastrophic effects on the body but it certainly doesn't mean that the users are all the same in terms of personality. I'd be skeptical of such a TV series and the exagerations that it makes to get its message across.

And pot? Well everyone smokes pot.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Cybin View Post
    A lot of people do drugs. A lot of people are stupid. Logically, there are a lot of stupid people that do drugs. But, stupid people do a lot of things. And they make for great tv.
    And when when we can give up, we don't want to.

And when want to give up, we can't.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

drug users are dumb. Unless they get around to making art or music, then they're the bomb.
    That which does not kill me, improves my looks. - Michael Jackson

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Reckless people do reckless things. Reckless people will always find something reckless to do, regardless of the law.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I didnt mention the alcohol use because I didnt think it was significant, I do think its as harmful as drugs but I dont believe that it has the same scene or culture attached to it.

No one really looks at street drinkers or bombed rough sleepers and thinks awesome, man they are having such a good time, ALL the participants in this series so far have passed comment on themselves, others in their company and their own living spaces in a manner which acknowledges how dumb they are also how cool it still is. Which I think is a major difference.

So far as pot goes, no, I dont think everyone smokes pot, I never did and its been offered to me often enough, by people who should know better too. I'm not sure that the documentary was a work of propaganda either, its easy to dismiss all coverage which isnt positive as propaganda but this was just people who'd volunteered to take part.