User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    infp

First Cat Stevens now Mickey!

Mickey needs to get his ass sued for this.
    Whats Minnie's position on this, where is she, tucked away somewhere wearing a burka? Is she even safe?

How did Mickey ever get out of his contract with Disney and still keep his name? He must have a slew of lawyers. Frankly I never liked Mickey Mouse in the first place. I don't think he should be allowed to return to this country.

Who is next?

"We will win, Bush, we will win, Sharon...oh shit he's dead...I mean Olmert...whatever"
    dead man talking

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by meshou View Post
    Uh, should we have killed them all or something?

They were kind of displaced without being heard in the UN in the 40s, and were given the bits of Israel without airable land, making some of them go from well off to destitute. and then when they protested, the Israelis put them under Martial Law and didn't hold to the original agreement the UN brokered.

It's a sticky situation, but really, they're in a shitty shitty place, and I don't see how they could possibly be any worse off without there being more shooting at them. I wouldn't call the conditons the Palestenians live under "nice" by any stretch of the imagination.
    I love the revisionist propaganda history...keep it up!

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    The Palestinians did it to themselves. They weren't displaced until they caused trouble, then only the troublemakers were displaced and given a big chunk of land, too. Really, they were entirely too nice to them.
    'Nice' is irrelevant when discussing politics. Groups act in self interest, not to be 'nice'.

I love the revisionist propaganda history...keep it up!
    What is your position? Is it is black-and-white? One group is the good guys the other the bad guys? Whatever is the truth of it, it is clearly not simple.

Societies act in self-interest. When two societies conflict neither are acting from a completely charitable or 'good' motivation, but making decisions to serve themselves best, regarding the interest of the other only to the extent it benefits themselves. This conflict would be no different.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Let me put it this way:
    In the vacuum after the war, they were cutting up the war zones and giving them to various people. Pre-war Palestine was a shithole. Not quite as bad as the current Palestine, but still pretty bad. It was mostly a bunch of squatters, aside from a few things built there by someone else (for example, The Dome of the Rock). These people were the lowliest of the Muslim world long before then.

All the lines in the sand in the middle east make no sense because they are completely artificial. From Turkey on through that area there were no real nations as we know them, let alone borders, until after Turkey took the initiative to create them. You had random tribes, kings, nomads, mass settlements, etc. Then in the vacuum after the empire fell, it all reverted. The lines there are being held and maintained by empires that want to maintain those borders, not by popular demand. If it was natural, none of those countries would be cut out the way they are, because it's like the US/Canada border, only with groups that truly hate each-other.

The Western world created the mess that is the middle east from the mess left by many failed empires and war.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    Of course. If everything was exactly the same then everything would be exactly the same, but then we wouldn't be talking about two different groups of humans, since there status as a different group is contigent upon preexisting differences.
    Can't argue with that! Eh hem, *cleans glasses*, *places nose in the air*, indubitably!, and I thought of that all by myself. A fine moment of my impeccecceccable reasoning, indeed.

The Western world created the mess that is the middle east from the mess left by many failed empires and war.
    I haven't studied it in depth, but am always cautious against passionate statements.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

The Palestinians did it to themselves. They weren't displaced until they caused trouble, then only the troublemakers were displaced and given a big chunk of land, too. Really, they were entirely too nice to them.
    The first displacement after WWII?

Are you talking about Europe feeling bad about gassing 8 million jews (that and having friendly bases to control the region militarily); so they they gave them their own state; at the expense of the palestenians who've lived there for thousands of years?

Or are you talking about the trouble they caused AFTER they were forced out of their homes?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Ah, the wonders of mind control! (Didn't Donald Duck play the Führer during WWII?)

I had a movie idea where a Palestinian terrorist ties a bomb vest around his child before consulting his wife and uses him to blow up Israel. I can call the movie Honey, I Blew Up the Kid!

Quote Originally Posted by meanlittlechimp View Post
    The first displacement after WWII?

Are you talking about Europe feeling bad about gassing 8 million jews (that and having friendly bases to control the region militarily); so they they gave them their own state; at the expense of the palestenians who've lived there for thousands of years?

Or are you talking about the trouble they caused AFTER they were forced out of their homes?
    Britain, ruler of Palestine, promised it to the zionists in the 1920's, and they had desired to return to their Holy Land throughout their history. It wasn't like we randomly offered them Palestine when Patagonia would have been just as adequate.

You're right that blaming the Palestinians for their own predicament is pretty damn short-sighted though. I don't blame the Israelis either. It's a delicate situation where you have two sets of people who want one area of land. However, the British were dishonest with both sides, and tried to pelase evryone, and post cold war, both sides used the situation for leverage, rather than to work in the people's interest.

And now, the Arab states still keep the Palestinians in hellish camps, when a tiny proportion of their oil wealth could house them; and they propagandise them into hating Israel. I guess it's not in the Arab elites interest to solve this problem, as it's a handy distraction from their own actions, and whenever things get bad at home they can just rally the troops to oppose Israel and suddenly they become heroes.

So I don't think the hate directed at Israel is at all justified. But to blame the Palestinians for their predicament isn't going to get us anywhere, it's hardly their fault that they were born landless.
    dead man talking