User Tag List

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Default What type do you suppose this lady is?

I'm going with ENFP. What do you think?

Teacher loses job over bumper sticker
    By David Menzies for MSN Autos

Be it “No Nukes” or “The day they outlaw handguns is the day I’ll become an outlaw,” a bumper sticker gives a car owner a mobile platform in which to support his or her political causes. Yet, a question arises: is displaying a bumper sticker worth losing one’s job over?

Consider the case of Tarah Ausburn, a teacher in Surprise, Ariz.

Ausburn drives a Toyota Prius (of course), which happens to be festooned with no fewer than 61 bumper stickers (NASCAR, eat your heart out.) The stickers promote causes ranging from feminism to the environment.

Apparently, no one had a problem with 60 of the stickers on Ausburn’s hybrid. Alas, it was the 61st sticker that landed Ausburn in hot water. Namely, a bumper sticker posing the question, “Have you drugged your kid today?”

Ausburn says the bumper sticker is taking as stand against those who tend to overmedicate hyperactive children.

“It’s kind of a criticism of us tending to overmedicate hyperactive kids who might not need those medications," the English teacher told the local CBS News affiliate.

Apparently, the sticker offended some people and school officials told her to remove it. She refused. Ausburn was then told she could keep the sticker as long as she agreed to park her Prius off campus for the remainder of the school year.
    Ausburn, pointing to the First Amendment, said no dice. She also noted she never discussed her personal opinions on overmedication in class.

Feeling they had little choice, school officials sacked Ausburn. Now she wants her job back, claiming her constitutional rights were violated. (Perhaps she should rail against the injustice done to her in print by custom-making Bumper Sticker #62: “Was fired for bumper sticker above.”)

It’s a curious case indeed. Personally, I don’t find Ausburn’s message offensive and even if I did, I wouldn’t demand her termination over her taking such a position. Even so, although I’m a free speech advocate, surely there was another way to handle this – for example, perhaps Ausburn could’ve covered up the offending sticker whenever parked on school property? (Which would actually serve as a bumper sticker protesting censorship.)

Now the whole kerfuffle is likely headed to a courtroom all because those in the education system couldn’t find a way to strike a compromise.

Perhaps they should all go back to school?

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

The teacher is definitely an xxFP, Fi is clear in her decisions to fight against the system in what she beleives in. Considering that she has covered her car in dozens of bumber stickers, I'd say ENFP for her as well.

I'm also on her side in thiscase, the school board has no damn right telling her what she can or can't do with her vehicle, nor should she have to park elsewhere simply for voicing her opinion.

This also reminds me of the recent case where a teacher was suspended for calling her student lazy, disrespectful, and rude brats on a blog. I am so sick of the freedom of speech being trampled into the ground by a bunch of robotic machines who think they can control what others are allowed to say, it disgusts me.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I'm going with ENFP. What do you think?

Teacher loses job over bumper sticker
    By David Menzies for MSN Autos

Be it “No Nukes” or “The day they outlaw handguns is the day I’ll become an outlaw,” a bumper sticker gives a car owner a mobile platform in which to support his or her political causes. Yet, a question arises: is displaying a bumper sticker worth losing one’s job over?

Consider the case of Tarah Ausburn, a teacher in Surprise, Ariz.

Ausburn drives a Toyota Prius (of course), which happens to be festooned with no fewer than 61 bumper stickers (NASCAR, eat your heart out.) The stickers promote causes ranging from feminism to the environment.

Apparently, no one had a problem with 60 of the stickers on Ausburn’s hybrid. Alas, it was the 61st sticker that landed Ausburn in hot water. Namely, a bumper sticker posing the question, “Have you drugged your kid today?”

Ausburn says the bumper sticker is taking as stand against those who tend to overmedicate hyperactive children.

“It’s kind of a criticism of us tending to overmedicate hyperactive kids who might not need those medications," the English teacher told the local CBS News affiliate.

Apparently, the sticker offended some people and school officials told her to remove it. She refused. Ausburn was then told she could keep the sticker as long as she agreed to park her Prius off campus for the remainder of the school year.
    Ausburn, pointing to the First Amendment, said no dice. She also noted she never discussed her personal opinions on overmedication in class.

Feeling they had little choice, school officials sacked Ausburn. Now she wants her job back, claiming her constitutional rights were violated. (Perhaps she should rail against the injustice done to her in print by custom-making Bumper Sticker #62: “Was fired for bumper sticker above.”)

It’s a curious case indeed. Personally, I don’t find Ausburn’s message offensive and even if I did, I wouldn’t demand her termination over her taking such a position. Even so, although I’m a free speech advocate, surely there was another way to handle this – for example, perhaps Ausburn could’ve covered up the offending sticker whenever parked on school property? (Which would actually serve as a bumper sticker protesting censorship.)

Now the whole kerfuffle is likely headed to a courtroom all because those in the education system couldn’t find a way to strike a compromise.

Perhaps they should all go back to school?
    I had something very similar happen to me at work years ago. However, my manager had the sense to ignore one silly old man's complaint and admitted that 'my car was my business' and there was no policy against what was in my car.

Y'see, I got tired of having my magnetic bumper "stickers" being stolen by annoyed conservatives and random hooligans in the area, so I started creating my own and sticking them to the INSIDE of my windows.

I was shocked however that an elderly customer had the nerve to come inside and complain that my car was "inappropriate" because it contained opinions he didn't agree with (no swearing, no taboo remarks etc.), not to mention he assumed management could do something about it. This guy didn't even know if the car belonged to another customer, or an employee!

Some people really do feel threatened or as though their rights are violated when others don't share them.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Its interesting to me because I think that bumper stickers are similar to signatures online in forums or profiles.

It doesnt appear offensive to me but the kinds of things that offend different people are generally pretty unique to them, I know that from experience.

The "how are you offended?" response is the most commonplace there is but I tend to believe that people who have a need to express an opinion in an overt, overt manner like that generally are not satisfied with simply doing so but are hoping for some kind of response, sometimes its applause, sometimes they're actually hoping to bait people.

So I can understand, were something like this is indicative or a something greater, something about their personality traits which is all out of whack that it'll result in dismissal.

Its not a great precident all the same, disciplining or dismissing people for their voicing of opinions not strictly relating to or effecting their performance at work is not something I would like to become the norm in management practice, if it isnt already.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Its interesting to me because I think that bumper stickers are similar to signatures online in forums or profiles.

It doesnt appear offensive to me but the kinds of things that offend different people are generally pretty unique to them, I know that from experience.

The "how are you offended?" response is the most commonplace there is but I tend to believe that people who have a need to express an opinion in an overt, overt manner like that generally are not satisfied with simply doing so but are hoping for some kind of response, sometimes its applause, sometimes they're actually hoping to bait people.

So I can understand, were something like this is indicative or a something greater, something about their personality traits which is all out of whack that it'll result in dismissal.

Its not a great precident all the same, disciplining or dismissing people for their voicing of opinions not strictly relating to or effecting their performance at work is not something I would like to become the norm in management practice, if it isnt already.
    I wasn't surprised by someone having an adverse opinion.

It is silly however, for the old man to assume a business manager could "do something" about a car in the lot whose driver's opinions he disagreed with and which he also couldn't verify had anything to do with the business or manager at all. That's preposterous to me.

So someone in the world disagrees with me? Big deal. I don't think they need to be "dealt with" as a result. I see cars all the time in the Stop 'n' Shop parking lot with pro-McCain stickers or pro-NRA seals. I don't march inside to the customer service counter and demand to speak to a manager. That's absurd.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    I wasn't surprised by someone having an adverse opinion.

It is silly however, for the old man to assume a business manager could "do something" about a car in the lot whose driver's opinions he disagreed with and which he also couldn't verify had anything to do with the business or manager at all. That's preposterous to me.

So someone in the world disagrees with me? Big deal. I don't think they need to be "dealt with" as a result. I see cars all the time in the Stop 'n' Shop parking lot with pro-McCain stickers or pro-NRA seals. I don't march inside to the customer service counter and demand to speak to a manager. That's absurd.
    I totally agree with that, in most instances its a form of advertising, mainly political and sometimes cultural too but its still ads.

I'll confess that sometimes it would bother me and other times it wouldnt, although I remind myself when it does bother me that its just ads and I'd not be vexed by someone with a McDonalds ad on display so I'll not get annoyed with someone displaying politics or cultural convictions I think are flawed or wrong too.