User Tag List

123 Last

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Default The New Zealand earthquake

OK so I held off on starting this for several reasons but here goes. This is such a tragedy especially after the luck with the last quake - the video footage, photos and stories just break my heart :sad:

The situation in brief as it stands:

-A magnitude 6.3 quake (though technically an aftershock of the September one) hit the city of Christchurch (population approx. 380,000) 2 days ago
    - it was very shallow at only 5km deep and only 10km from the center city which is why the destruction was quite bad
    - it hit just before 1pm local time
    - the present death toll is 72-76 (depending what you read)
    - 238+ missing (again reports sketchy)
    - 40% of the city has no power
    - 80% have no water
    - hundreds have homes flooded due to liquefaction
    - large numbers are homeless

There are 3 major sites where people have been buried and some survivors have been pulled from them. Rescuers continue to for survivors but hope is fading. In each building there are a number missing presumed dead:
    - CTV building - 122 people (including dozens of foreign students)
    - Pyne Gould Corp. building (photo above) - 14 people
    - The Christchurch Cathedral - 22 people

To get a sense of the the initial situation, an article from tuesday:
    http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/as...?iref=obinsite

Also this is the best pictorial overview I've seen (warning some pictures are graphic):
    http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/201...arthquake.html

I want to ask all the New Zealanders here if they're OK and if any family and friends are safe. I know Raindancing lives in Christchurch, but she doesn't seem to post any more. I'm not sure if any others live in the area so let us know. Personally, I'm fine and live far away from it, and all family and friends are accounted for.
    Last edited by Southern Kross; 02-24-2011 at 06:03 PM.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

We have never spoken.. But that did not stop me from wondering about you today when I saw the newspaper.
    This is tragic and sad.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I used to be on a baby-wearing forum and knew several people that live in NZ. I hope they are all right. Glad you're okay, SK.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Such a tragedy.... all these natural disasters in Oz and NZ lately... it's scary. And sad. We have students in Dunedin but luckily none in Christchurch.
    Last edited by Aquarelle; 02-24-2011 at 09:34 AM.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    INFJ

Good to know you're OK Southern Kross. Yep, we're fine. It's shaken my Grandparents up pretty bad (they live on the Port Hills, over the ridge from Lyttelton) but that's about the worst of it. Invercargill felt the quake, but only as a slight tremor.

From the sounds of things most people with friends and family in Christchurch are getting them out of there (if they'll leave).

I wanted to say thank you to all the countries who are helping us out; it means so much. As it stands, teams have been sent from the USA, the UK, Taiwan, Singapore, Australia, and Japan. These teams are large, include search and rescue personnel and dogs, transport, field hospitals, surgeons and medics, police, firemen and so forth. As Kiwis we tend to have a self-reliant mentality, but no-one (or country) is able to cope with everything on their own. The help you're offering (you are all now proxies for your countries) is truly invaluable. Thank you.

The same thanks of course goes to our own teams here at home. Thanks: you guys are awesome.

Edit: OK, that sounds all smooshy and Fe. It's meant sincerely

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Dear me! How awful!
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sx

There was a report here from a local woman who just moved there a few months ago. She said there were people everywhere, just sitting in the streets with shocked looks on their faces.

I can't even imagine what that must be like. My heart goes out.

The news of the missing Japanese has been on the TV a lot and there has been a lot of coverage. I've had a lot of messages from friends here wondering about my family, I am from Auckland. It's strange and sad watching it on TV from over here. Accents and things make it easy to relate in a really personal way watching from over here.

So sad.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

It's horrible. I'm glad you're ok, SK (and any other members in NZ, but you were the only one I could think of).
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Wow, when I saw the cctv footage of the supermarket, it was so violent! No wonder there has been so much devastation that was one hell of a jolt! I have been going home each night and watching all the news hard not to tear up with all the stories, such a tragedy.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations