User Tag List

First 123 Last

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Fife View Post
    Good to know you're OK Southern Kross. Yep, we're fine. It's shaken my Grandparents up pretty bad (they live on the Port Hills, over the ridge from Lyttelton) but that's about the worst of it. Invercargill felt the quake, but only as a slight tremor.
    Oh man, the Port Hills. I heard they were hit quite badly being so close to the epicentre. I hope their house is OK. Have they been able to get out or are the roads blocked by landslides?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    The news of the missing Japanese has been on the TV a lot and there has been a lot of coverage. I've had a lot of messages from friends here wondering about my family, I am from Auckland. It's strange and sad watching it on TV from over here. Accents and things make it easy to relate in a really personal way watching from over here.

So sad.
    You're so right about the accent thing. Its strange how much more it affects me to see Kiwis reacting to a tragedy in such a Kiwi way. It makes it seem so much more real.

And like you say this will have a big affect on other countries too. So many tourists are missing or killed. Especially Japan, by the sound of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Wow, when I saw the cctv footage of the supermarket, it was so violent! No wonder there has been so much devastation that was one hell of a jolt! I have been going home each night and watching all the news hard not to tear up with all the stories, such a tragedy.
    I know that video was crazy. I will post it here for the others to see. It makes it pretty clear, even though it was only a M6.3, it was extremely violent.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLtEWOn6AWg"]CCTV Footage Of The Christchurch Earthquake[/YOUTUBE]
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Also this is the best pictorial overview I've seen (warning some pictures are graphic):
    http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/201...arthquake.html
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

BTW the updated figures:

113 confirmed fatalities - four names released
    228 missing
    70 live rescues
    10 international teams on the ground
    559 rescuers on the ground
    594 seen by emergency departments - 164 of those admitted to hospital
    2000 people have had treatment for injuries
    11 patients in intensive care
    452 people still in welfare centres

Some more pictures:

The collapsed Catholic Cathedral

More destruction

Cracks opened up by the quake

A lot of people have had enough and have left the city. Some with a sense of humour

The 24 storey Hotel Grand Chancellor which is appears to be on the verge of collapse

Student volunteers cleaning the silt from the streets (I love this picture )
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    ----

horrific images.

i have been disappointed (though not surprised) with some of the insensitive media coverage. i saw footage of a woman shouting 'leave me alone' at the camera. she was distraught and covered in dust. i would hope this event could be depicted in a way that is respectful to those who are suffering.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    Such a tragedy.... all these natural disasters in Oz and NZ lately... it's scary
    Definitely.:sad:

It makes one wonder what a country like New Zealand can do so prevent similar disasters again as it already as some of the strictest building regulations. Sadly, major earthquakes in New Zealand seem to be getting more frequent in the last few decades.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

What a tragedy....

Glad to hear you & your friends/family are okay, SouthernKross.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    Definitely.:sad:

It makes one wonder what a country like New Zealand can do so prevent similar disasters again as it already as some of the strictest building regulations. Sadly, major earthquakes in New Zealand seem to be getting more frequent in the last few decades.
    It seems they weren't tough enough on the older buildings:

Christchurch earthquake: Pre-70s buildings are 'at risk'

However this is interesting:
    Another Auckland University engineer, Dr Quincy Ma, said Tuesday's building collapses did not necessarily show that the structures were not strong enough, because the quake was so violent.

"The ground motion in Christchurch was over what we expect for a 1000-year return period," he said. "We design for a 475-year return period."

This means the ground shaking from Tuesday's magnitude 6.3 quake was even more violent than Christchurch can expect from a magnitude 8 jolt on the Alpine Fault, which is expected every 300 to 400 years and was regarded as the test that buildings had to be designed for. The fault last moved 290 years ago.

Dr Ma said the fault that shook the city this week had not been identified as a major risk before.
    I read in another article that the peak ground acceleration (which measures the true force felt by people) was 1.8g - thats 1.8 times the force of gravity, which is very strong.

Hamish Campbell: Technically it's just an aftershock
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by strawberries View Post
    horrific images.

i have been disappointed (though not surprised) with some of the insensitive media coverage. i saw footage of a woman shouting 'leave me alone' at the camera. she was distraught and covered in dust. i would hope this event could be depicted in a way that is respectful to those who are suffering.
    Agreed. The media have been behaving rather badly at times. They were even worse with the Pike River Mine disaster.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

The Grand Chancellor definitely doesn't look in good shape, I wonder if it will bring down other buildings when it comes down?

Yeah they were worse with Pike River but still pretty vulture like.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

This is all so sad and upsetting. What aid has been coming in?
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious