12 25.53%
  • I support the formation of Israel and its policies

16 34.04%
  • Indifferent/other (explain)

19 40.43%
First 12345 Last

sammy

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    Male Muslims are the agitators in this situation so removing them would settle things. Israeli Jewish men tend not to be quite as crazy though there may be some extremists that need to be dealt with.
    Where are you basing your conclusions from?

MBTI
    INTP

If we're going strictly by generalities, I'd identify myself as anti-Zionist but pro-Israel. I don't agree with many/most of their policies (especially the neo-manifest destiny ideas), but it's an incredible country. Whether they have a claim to the land is an obsolete objection: They're there, they're turning the desert green, get used to it. Unfortunately, most people, at least in the US, feel like they must either side with the Arabs or the Jews. If you ask an Evangelical or other Right-wing, you will hear about democracy, the messiah, fulfillment of prophecy, etc. Liberal groups and the liberal Christians hold awareness conferences for the suffering Palestinians and talk about the war-mongerer of the Middle East which we support. Btw, members of the latter group might be interested in Israel's healthcare. Considering the diversity of their population, it could be one of the better models of socialized healthcare. Also, they have significant medical research comparative to the region.

That said, I don't like how we're dumping so much money into the country. It's a little suspicious, nu? I've heard more than a few conspiracy theories, and some of them aren't too off.

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    A pox on both their houses. I loathe Islam and the Jews picked a really stupid place to set up shop. I understand that back in 1948 they may have been a bit panicky and looking for a safe place to hang out. If I ruled the earth I'd just go through the middle east and put every male over 12 into concentration camps, unless his decency can be vouched for by several women. Then let the women take over and establish a matriarchy free of Islam's filth.
    Putting Israel under Jewish matriarchy, especially after imprisoning their sons, would not be good for anyone. Remember, there be nukes in Dimona.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Another mess the United States has gotten itself into and can't extract itself from. Israel would be gone within the next decade if we left it alone now, and yet our further involvement in the Middle East only further perturbs things.
    I don't think that is true, Israel is the only country with Nuclear weapons in the Middle East. It could take out every country in the Middle East and it would still have nuclear weapons left over.

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    The country has existed for 60 years, whether or not it was a good idea doesn't really matter anymore. In reality, most of the middle eastern countries are terrible ideas, thanks to the british drawing lines on a map with no regard to culture/ethnicity/etc.

What you said is not true as far as Israel is concerned.

Yes, it is true Britain proposed a Palestine divided between a Jewish and an Arab State, and more or less came up with the lines. But she never voted for the creation of Israel nor the lines. She abstained from the United Nations General Assembly Resolution 181, as she was trying to be neutral.

After world war two The United Nations Special Committee on Palestine was set up, with the aim of being trying to solve the dispute between the Jews and Arabs in Palestine. Britain did not take part, nor did any of the major powers, they hoped it would make the committee more neutral. The committee recommended that the British UN Mandate should be terminated and Palestine should be divided between Jews and Arabs. With Jerusalem and Bethlehem to remain neutral under International control.

If you want to blame anyone on the partition blame all who voted in favour of the United Nations General Assembly Resolution 181, what was more or less a vote on The United Nations Special Committee recommendation; Australia, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Belarus, Canada, Costa Rica, Czechoslovakia, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, France, Guatemala, Haiti, Iceland, Liberia, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Sweden, South Africa, USSR, United States of America, Uruguay, Venezuela.
    Last edited by Falcarius; 03-10-2008 at 01:37 PM. Reason: I was in a rush before so I made it more readable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    I don't think that is true, Israel is the only country with Nuclear weapons in the Middle East. It could take out every country in the Middle East and it would still have nuclear weapons left over.

What you said is not true as far as Israel is concerned.

Yes, it is true Britain proposed a Palestine divided between a Jewish and an Arab State British and more or less came up with the lines. But she never voted for the creation of Israel nor the lines. She abstained from the United Nations General Assembly Resolution 181, as she was trying to be neutral.

After world war two The United Nations Special Committee on Palestine was set up, with the aim of being trying to solve the dispute between the Jews and Arabs in Palestine. Britain did not take part, nor did any of the major powers, they hoped it would make the committee more neutral. The committee recommended that the British UN Mandate should be terminated and Palestine should be divided between Jews and Arabs. With Jerusalem and Bethlehem to remain neutral under International control.

If you want to blame anyone on the partition blame all who voted in favour of the United Nations General Assembly Resolution 181, what was more or less a vote on The United Nations Special Committee recommendation; Australia, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Belarus, Canada, Costa Rica, Czechoslovakia, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, France, Guatemala, Haiti, Iceland, Liberia, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Sweden, South Africa, USSR, United States of America, Uruguay, Venezuela.
    The Israeli were a nation without a homeland.
    The Palestinians are a homeland without a nation.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

Either way whats the point?

World peace is a fallacy anyway. There will always be someone who wants something someone else has.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Firstly, I would like to say the poll is stupid: how can you be for or against the formation of something that has already been formed?

Secondly, I am for Israel right to exist but not for her policies.

I am of the opinion that the main aggressor in this conflict is Israel. As for the Palestinians, half a century has passed since they lost their country to terrorists. I for one cannot blame them for holding onto the hope that they may one day be free of the enemy invaders. Palestinians never asked Egypt, Syria and Jordan to interfere with their county, they never asked Israel to use it as an excuse to steal their land.

You have to understand most Palestinians are not Hamas supporters, but rather their support is an act of desperation. They just want to live in peace and security like anybody else. I think the key word in solving any conflict is "justice". If Israel stops it's injustice towards the Palestinians, lets ordinary Palestinians live with dignity and security, then the conditions generating the suicide bombers will cease, and the blood-letting will stop. If Israel wants to win the heart and minds of the average Palestinian then it has to prove it is serious about peace; Dismantle the illegal settlements it is still building to this day, dismantle the checkpoints, stop the occupation, get rid of the illegal West Bank barrier, and accept a two state solution. As long the West Bank and Gaza are war zones, Israel will be one as well.

If peace breeds peace then violence breeds violence.

The USA should stop blindly supporting Israel. How and why it expects to be took seriously as a negotiator in the conflict while at the same time arming Israel is beyond me.

I am just some guy with a passion for establish peace between the Israelis and the Palestinians. I am also an optimist and see no reason that will not happen in my life time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

I think they have FAR less right to the land than Native Americans have for getting their land back.

I'm pretty sure the only time they actually had Jerusaleam was under the kingdom of David over 2,000 years ago (and only for a few hundred years at most). Compare that with Native Americans having North and South America for thousands of years until just a few hundred years ago.

If Russia or China came here and kicked everyone out of Texas and gave it back to the Indians, and armed them to the teeth merely to set up a base (for easier control of the region and it's oil, insert valuable commodity here). The US would have a shitstorm and would fight tooth and claw, like the Palestinians are today. No American would ever see those acts as terrorism. They would call it justifiable warfare. The Canadians and Mexicans would jump into the fray as well, less so because they care that much about Americans; but because, they'll be afraid, their next.

The rest of the Middle East doesn't give that much of a shit about Palestine, they're more worried about what we were going to do next. And based on the events since WWII and the formation of Israel, they should have been very worried. We've overthrown democracies and replaced them with Monarchies (Iran). We've bombed and invaded them repeatedly directly or via Israel (indirectly).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

both sides obviously do fucked up things. israel is not blameless.

but if the choice is to support them or support terrorists, i'd choose them any day.

you can't support/sympathize with terrorism, no matter what. it's entirely unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    both sides obviously do fucked up things. israel is not blameless.

but if the choice is to support them or support terrorists, i'd choose them any day.

you can't support/sympathize with terrorism, no matter what. it's entirely unacceptable.
    Do you see our overthrow of Mossadegh an act of terrorism? Who was a west leaning secular leader of Iran (which was a constitutional democracy) before we ousted him and put in a corrupt monarchy (the Shah). Do you see the Iranians overthrowing a US backed puppet government as terrorism?

Do you see invading Iraq under false pretenses an act of terrorism. When you carpet bomb a civilian population, do you consider that an act of terrorism? Do you see the Russia-Texas example above as terrorism?

Or is terrorism to you, only when small scale killing occurs, like blowing up a bus or a disco?

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by meanlittlechimp View Post
    Do you see our overthrow of Mossadegh an act of terrorism? Who was a west leaning secular leader of Iran (which was a constitutional democracy) before we ousted him and put in a corrupt monarchy (the Shah). Do you see the Iranians overthrowing a US backed puppet government as terrorism?

Do you see invading Iraq under false pretenses an act of terrorism. When you carpet bomb a civilian population, do you consider that an act of terrorism? Do you see the Russia-Texas example above as terrorism?

Or is terrorism to you, only when small scale killing occurs, like blowing up a bus or a disco?