User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Default Revolution in the Middle East and Northern Africa.

I'm surprised there aren't more threads on this topic. There have been major protests in Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iran, Jordan, Libya, Morocco, Tunisia, and Yemen, with significant bloodshed.

Given the changing demographics in these countries, these mass protests were inevitable sooner or later. Of course the bloodshed is always ugly, with over 600 deaths in Libya in the last week.

The "risk" we are told is the consequences of anarchy - even worse groups taking power, including the Muslim brotherhood who have shown their true colours - their anti-democratic beliefs in Palestine.
    But the given the underlying causes of these protests - the fact that the young are increasingly aware of exactly what life is like for many in the west. It seems that should dictatorial groups seize power, we would simply see more protests and unfortunately, a risk of more bloodshed.
    Last edited by Octarine; 02-23-2011 at 05:09 AM.

The USA is leaving the Middle East. The dictators know this and have lost their confidence.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The USA is leaving the Middle East. The dictators know this and have lost their confidence.
    Can you explain what you mean by this? Isn't it the people who have (a) lost confidence in their leaders and (b) feel that their protests might actually result in positive change?

MBTI
    INTP

It's like the communist domino theory, except in reverse. I, for one, welcome our new democratic friends.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    It's like the communist domino theory, except in reverse. I, for one, welcome our new democratic friends.
    Does that include our new democratic friends under the Palestinian Authority, who voted a Hamas government into power?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Does that include our new democratic friends under the Palestinian Authority, who voted a Hamas government into power?
    I believe it does.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    EXPP

Remember, kids. The Egyptian regime fell to the Egyptian military - NOT TO THE PEOPLE. Thus it was a coup. It will not be a democracy until democratic elections are held, and the leaders are brought to power.

I am cautiously hopeful. Keyword is cautious.
    a cat is fine too

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    Can you explain what you mean by this? Isn't it the people who have (a) lost confidence in their leaders and (b) feel that their protests might actually result in positive change?
    The people lost confidence in theiir dictators a long time ago, but were suppressed with the help of the USA.

I don't think the people know the USA is leaving the Middle East but the dictators do. And so the dictators know they have no one to back them up and so have lost confidence.

All this is because the only thing that has changed in the Middle East is that the USA is leaving.

MBTI
    INTP

I was waiting to see what would happen first

Would a person accuse the US of instigating these revolutions after all these years?

or

Would a person accuse the US of suppressing these revolutions during all these years?

Today, I am pleased that my predictions came true, though it took longer than I had anticipated, still I must thank you.

Smile Render unto ....

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    I was waiting to see what would happen first

Would a person accuse the US of instigating these revolutions after all these years?

or

Would a person accuse the US of suppressing these revolutions during all these years?

Today, I am pleased that my predictions came true, though it took longer than I had anticipated, still I must thank you.
    C'mon, these dictators tortured their own citizens and those rendered to them by the USA.

The USA has realised it doen't need to physically possess the oilfields of the Middle East, it can simply write a cheque for oil.

And although it is barely acknowledged, the USA has lost in Iraq as they lost in Vietnam, and are now leaving.

The only thing that has changed in the Middle East is that the USA is leaving.