First 1234 Last

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

That speech by Muammar Gaddafi blaming Osama Bin Laden and drugs for the current protests was hilarious. Seriously, Falcarius wants whatever Gaddafi takes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

Smile The Romance of Revolution

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    I know, right. Fuck democracy, we should make their decisions for them.
    Well my dear Beargryllz, democracy is politically neutral. It is neutral between liberal democracy and social democracy, and it is also neutral between secularism, Islamism and Nationalism.

Democracy merely gives us the opportunity to improve the human condidition.

As you know, I support liberal democracy and the limitation of power.

Liberal democracy rose in response to our understanding that power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely, and so in response liberal democracy seeks, not to abolish power, but to limit power. You might say liberal democracy seeks to domesticate power.

However Islamism seeks to maximse power in a totalitarian State, and Nationalism also seeks to maximise power for the nation. And unfortunately the two main Arab forces are now Islamism and Nationalism with a smattering of Secularism, all underlain with a virulent hatred of Jews.

And even more important, all of this is underlain with sacrificial and abusive child rearing practices, leading to mass paranoid personalitis and mass abusive personalities.

We should keep in mind that revolutions eat their children, and if I am not mistaken, your own revolution ate its children in a bloody Civil War.

We have had no revolution here, neither a bourgeois revolution nor a proletarian revolution, and we are successfully limiting power over women and children.

The romance of revolution is simply a reaction to the success of the Enlightenment.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    The Egyptians (as well as the Tunisians) have reignited their protests because neither of their demands for a new government (on each part) were met. That's no surprise. There're uprisings pretty much every where across the Arab World, which is engaging. Just waiting to see what'll happen with Gaddafi in the end. The protests were sporadic to begin with. Now the Libyan situation is insane!
    For all Mubarak's faults, he didn't have the army shoot the protesters. Unfortunately the Libyan situation looks likely to involve a lot more bloodshed. And even if the revolutionaries succeed, there is going to be a lot of rage and bitterness as a result - this doesn't tend to create a stable democracy (at least in the short term).
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Can't believe the assholery of the renewed Egyptian protests is going to be remembered. With the turn of events we're seeing - it was pretty obvious Mubarak wasn't the kind of artisan to surrender his position on a bare moment's notice, to begin with. Guess we'll end up seeing really one sh*tty regime being consecutively overrun by another, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    For all Mubarak's faults, he didn't have the army shoot the protesters. Unfortunately the Libyan situation looks likely to involve a lot more bloodshed. And even if the revolutionaries succeed, there is going to be a lot of rage and bitterness as a result - this doesn't tend to create a stable democracy (at least in the short term).
    +1

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Of course Sub-Saharan Africa is undergoing struggles also, but there has been less western media attention.

http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth...254698620.html

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    That speech by Muammar Gaddafi blaming Osama Bin Laden and drugs for the current protests was hilarious. Seriously, Falcarius wants whatever Gaddafi takes.
    I caught this sneaky paparazzi picture whilst hanging around outside Gadaffi's compound.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    EXPP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    When the dust settles, the Jews will be hated with the same intensity, and the Christians will still be persecuted, women will know their place, and children will continue to be abused.
    I know my place. It's standing victoriously, with my heel shoved into some guy's skull.

a cat is fine too

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Discussion of the "Arab Spring" seems to have died down somewhat in the media, but the movement is still ongoing in several countries and Libya is still in the grips of civil war.

There is an interactive timeline here if anyone is interested:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/inte...ctive-timeline

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    Discussion of the "Arab Spring" seems to have died down somewhat in the media, but the movement is still ongoing in several countries and Libya is still in the grips of civil war.

There is an interactive timeline here if anyone is interested:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/inte...ctive-timeline
    Major bloodshed in Sana'a, Yemen yesterday as well. I was surprised that it hasn't yet tipped over into full civil war there. I have friends who have friends and family there, so I feel more of a personal connection than would be usual.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

The Hatred of Jews in the Arab Spring

The Egyptian Islamists have violated diplomatic immunity by attacking the Israeli embassy, taking down its flag, replacinging it with the Egyptian flag, and driving the Israeli diplomats out of Egypt.

At about the same time Egypt allowed an attack on Israeli civilians from its own soil.

And the Turkish Islamists have broken off diplomatic relations with Israel and are threatening Israel with Turkish warships.

The golden thread of anti-semitism, the hatred of Jews, stretches from the Koran to the Arab Spring.