User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    TV is basically the movie theatre inside a box, with commercials.
    Keep telling yourself that

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Originally posted by Beargryllz
    Keep telling yourself that
    You mean becuase it's true?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    You mean becuase it's true?
    It's a gross oversimplification so ignorant that you've actually managed to offend me. I didn't think I could have that kind of a reaction in this kind of a discussion, but you managed to do it. This online miracle has given me a chance to regain my composure and assert the following:

No, television is not a cinema in a box with commercials. No, it was not insignificant. No, the implications behind the emergence of a new media by which information is transmitted is incredibly significant.

You're talking about a phenomenon that, even today, in the age of the internet, allows some huge number of people a singular, consolidated perspective. The volume of people reached is enormous and the message is delivered simultaneously. These are all very important details.

To equate this capacity to inform, simultaneously and in such volume, so many people, with such a one-dimensional triviality is just.... silly, I suppose

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    I'd say it's pretty hard to accurately measure. TV wins hands down in terms of longevity and is probably still the easiest way to spread information through different age demographics, but the internet wins through the consolidating the best features of several different mediums into one relatively easily accessible medium.
    But there was still radio before TV. Radio was really significant for the spread of information. I'd say TV was just a small leap up from radio, since now instead of just hearing about what was going on, you could see it.

So overall I'd consider Internet a bigger deal, but like highlander - I wasn't around when TV came out. But all of my mother's stories about their first TV center around there being only 3 channels, and H.R. Puf'n'Stuf.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obxfuFrUTzg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obxfuFrUTzg[/YOUTUBE]
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    But there was still radio before TV. Radio was really significant for the spread of information. I'd say TV was just a small leap up from radio, since now instead of just hearing about what was going on, you could see it.

So overall I'd consider Internet a bigger deal, but like highlander - I wasn't around when TV came out. But all of my mother's stories about their first TV center around there being only 3 channels, and H.R. Puf'n'Stuf
    Is the comparison being made based on which was more innovative? If so, I'd say they're all merely extensions of each other. I definitely agree that Radio laid the foundation for Television as it's basically the same concept with the inclusion of visualization, but couldn't the argument be made that Television influenced some of the initial ideas of the internet in terms of providing an even easier method of widespread data transferring? To me, by looking at it in these terms, you could also say they're all highly sophisticated reincarnations of the idea of Radio that have taken a life fully of their own overtime. If I'm going to analyze each independently I could agree internet is a bigger deal in the sense that while it not only incorporates all of the features of the former two, it's really the only convenient medium for which long-distance interpersonal relationships can be achieved, whereas the only bond possible to be formed through the other two would be impersonally through shared information.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    Is the comparison being made based on which was more innovative? If so, I'd say they're all merely extensions of each other. I definitely agree that Radio laid the foundation for Television as it's basically the same concept with the inclusion of visualization, but couldn't the argument be made that Television influenced some of the initial ideas of the internet in terms of providing an even easier method of widespread data transferring? To me, by looking at it in these terms, you could also say they're all highly sophisticated reincarnations of the idea of Radio that have taken a life fully of their own overtime. If I'm going to analyze each independently I could agree internet is a bigger deal in the sense that while it not only incorporates all of the features of the former two, it's really the only convenient medium for which long-distance interpersonal relationships can be achieved, whereas the only bond possible to be formed through the other two would be impersonally through shared information.
    I would agree with all this. I think if radio were included I would consider it the most innovative. But I consider the internet a MUCCHHH bigger "leap" from TV than TV is from radio. Like Radio >> TV >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Internet.

Fuck the thread rules. I pick radio.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Originally posted by Beargryllz
    It's a gross oversimplification so ignorant that you've actually managed to offend me.
    Sorry about that actually seems to occur quite frequintly

I didn't think I could have that kind of a reaction in this kind of a discussion, but you managed to do it. This online miracle has given me a chance to regain my composure and assert the following:

No, television is not a cinema in a box with commercials. No, it was not insignificant. No, the implications behind the emergence of a new media by which information is transmitted is incredibly significant.

You're talking about a phenomenon that, even today, in the age of the internet, allows some huge number of people a singular, consolidated perspective. The volume of people reached is enormous and the message is delivered simultaneously. These are all very important details.

To equate this capacity to inform, simultaneously and in such volume, so many people, with such a one-dimensional triviality is just.... silly, I suppose
    I wasn't implying that TV was a one-dimensional triviality by itself, I mean alone it's a monumental achievment, but it has nothing compared to the internet which is far more advanced. But essentially TV is just what happens when you take the power of the movie theatre, condense it to a small box in every home, and alter the programs from movies to movies, shows, news, ads, etc.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Naturally the internet creates an information exchange that TV couldn't and that alone unlike the telephone and merely talking from person to person makes the internet a significant step in world wide web communication as a corner stone to learning, being able to access information and communicate unprecedented in any time in the current history of our technological advancements. And with that in mind create a more unbroken kind of exchange between discovering more through the rapid communication and idea exchanges of technologies, socialization, health, political and many more ways in which communication can bridge the gap between the individual and the collective conscious.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

This is a more interesting thread than I thought it would be. The thing that people need to realize is that the Internet has been around since the 70s. The interface was command line driven for a long time though. We are often influenced by what is going on right now vs taking a longer historical perspective. We think the thing now is most important. Is the Internet more important than the printing press or the telephone? Media and TV have an enormous impact on our world and out culture. Anybody who doesn't realize this isn't thinking about deeper implications and insideousness of it all. It impacts our values, our day to day behavior, how we think, out beliefs, etc.

I agree what was said above though that we haven't really seen the full impact if the Internet in society and it is huge.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Why do I need to pick? I like to watch TV and surf the Internet. TV is better when I just want to receive information in a non-interactive fashion and don't want to think too hard, whereas the Internet is better when I want more control over my experience.

If we're talking about cultural significance, I would have to agree with Patches about radio being overlooked. Radio was the first form of communication that was simultaneously broadcast to everyone, creating a shared media experience. It was eventually replaced by television, which was very similar except for having pictures.

However, Television did change things significantly. For instance, appearances became more important. Someone with a beautiful voice but an ugly appearance could no longer get by that way. I think there's a song about that:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiJ9AnNz47Y"]Video Killed the Radio star[/YOUTUBE]

Anyway, it looks as though the Internet is poised to change things once again. What the Internet is permitting, assuming that the infrastructure isn't changed or destroyed by governments to keep it under control... is a more decentralized way of spreading information. Centers of power become less relevant. It becomes harder to control the flow of information. People look for what they want to look for, aren't force-fed quite as much. It sort of allows everyone to have their own subculture.

The thing about the Internet, though, is that completely changes the structure of distribution, allowing everyone to create their own content and distribute it easily, whereas Television only added features to the media structure that already existed with radio.