User Tag List

First 678

ByMySword

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    OTOH, the vast majority of murders in the United States occur in cities with very stringent gun control. Of course, the high murder rate is the rationale for the gun control, but it clearly does little-to-nothing to affect murder rates. If we truly want to lower the murder rate in America's inner cities, one thing would do it instantaneously, and save us hundreds of millions of dollars a year: decriminalize drugs.
    Yes!!!!! Its about time someone brought up the legalizing of drugs.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    Yay or nay and your reasons/argument.

Yay - Something needs to be done. The whole thing is getting out of hand. Every other week there is a shooting or at least someone brandishing a fire arm. The people that have properly done what needs to be done in order to qualify to carry a concealed hand gun shouldn't be denied their right to defend themselves and others. Isn't that what they went through the trouble of getting their concealed carry permit for in the first place?
    Not at all. Don't worry. It's a fairly negligible risk of you getting shot up on campus. Besides, approximately half of people who get shot survive, due to poor marksmanship and loads shooters use. Besides, most shooters can only claim about 30 kills anyways. Considering thousands of people in schools, those aren't terrible odds. It's far more probable that you will die from a car crash or colon cancer or a heart attack. If you are actually interested in saving people, then you should invest your force and energy into those areas. They claim far more lives than an occasional shoot up. No need to worry about such small incidents.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    I'm sure I've said this before, but more kids die playing football each year.
    Sporting accidents equate with murder?

OP: Yes. Lunatic cowards should assume that even a late-day physics lab includes at least three people packing heat. Rigorously train and arm public safety, and offer small scholarships to students willing to be similarly vetted.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

People who have permits should be able to take them everywhere. If one place is regulated, then soon everywhere will be off-limits. And if some crazy bastard takes a rifle to class and start shooting people, then somebody might be able to gun him down before he does much damage. If there are as many guns as there is in the U.S. there should be people carrying guns too, as a safety measure. It sounds bad, true. But if everyone leaves their guns at home and some nut brings it to the mall, school or something, then it will already be too late when the cops/military arrive.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    xNTP

You are alluding to one of my favorite arguments concerning laws.

Laws only deter "good people" from doing X or Y not the "bad" ones.

MBTI
    ENTP

Guns only create a deadly cycle, if the murder rate is high in other places it is because it is a centre of crime, not because guns make no difference. Having guns allowed certainly doesn't help, because the 'murders' have an additional 'tool'.

ByMySword

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Guns only create a deadly cycle, if the murder rate is high in other places it is because it is a centre of crime, not because guns make no difference. Having guns allowed certainly doesn't help, because the 'murders' have an additional 'tool'.
    But they don't need the "tool" if they are gonna murder anyway. The "tool" would be for law abiding citizens.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    But they don't need the "tool" if they are gonna murder anyway. The "tool" would be for law abiding citizens.
    It is available to them, it makes the situation far more dangerous. When gunpowder came around, it made the warrior class useless. These weapons are dangerous, and for the sake of someone's 'right', it shouldn't be at the expense of someone's life. Like I said, guns certainly don't help the situation.

I also know there is a correlation between gun control and murders. They are banned in the UK, but do you see many gun related crime? No.

ByMySword

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    It is available to them, it makes the situation far more dangerous. When gunpowder came around, it made the warrior class useless.
    Wrong. It just created a new type of warrior. The gunslinger.

You're talking to one right now, by the way.

And if they really want them, they can get them anyway. At least in the U.S. they can. Which is why in OUR case, anyone who has purchased a handgun legally and gone through the required safety and education courses should be allowed to carry their weapons anywhere. In my opinion, its like deputizing civilians in a sense. Do you think that the real criminals are gonna go through all that paperwork and those background checks? No. They have their own ways of getting them.

And in my opinion, rights are worth lives. Its the principle of the right itself. No one has full control over what a person will do. And that means that no one can really predict it either.

But I don't believe that a government has the right to try to prevent people from committing crimes by taking away rights. In my opinion, one isn't guilty till they commit the crime. So I think they should be given free range as long as they're not infringing on anybody else's rights. Everyone shouldn't be punished just because there are a few rotten apples in the barrel.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    This is why people shouldn't merely depend on others to protect them. They should take their safety into their own hands. True story.
    The tragic thing is that even if that emergency device did work, our law enforcement is not legally obligated to protect anyone. It makes perfect sense, as it would be a huge economic burden and they're spread thin as it is. But this makes the rejection of the 2nd Amendment so fucked up. If we can't proetect ourselves, and neither can the police, what other recourse is there? I guess we're just supposed to smile and die.
    I don't wanna!