User Tag List

First 5678 Last

ByMySword

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    What about having it, not needing it, but using it anyway?
    Those would be called "criminals".

Or, needing it, and not having it, and stealing it from someone else who also needs it?
    Hey, I would do anything I could to save me and my own. Are you telling me you wouldn't do the same?

MBTI
    ENTP

I just don't understand the logic of strict gun control advocates. If an individual isn't going to let a law against murdering people deter him, why would he care about a rule against gun possession?

I'd love to see this sign if I was a crazy asshole that wanted to shoot as many defenseless people in a given location as possible:
    jackpot!

I wouldn't be like "oh damn, now I have to go to the store down the street so I don't get in trouble with the rent-a-cop for carrying a pistol, after I shoot him in the face"
    I don't wanna!

ByMySword

Ok, I'm back at this old thread because I'm just that bored. Just kidding. I actually have something to say in hopes of continuing this thread (like I really care, lol).

I just heard of another college shooting today. Except this one was a little closer to home. It occured at a college in Tyler, Tx. This is where my friend Meta goes to school at. I wasn't really concerned about him, since I heard it occured in a dorm, and he doesn't live in a dorm. But I called him just the same. It turned out that it was a another college rather than the one that he went to. It occured at Texas College in the dorm parking lot. No one was killed, but there was 2 wounded. But just one more to add to the list.

Ironically, I was walking to class earlier this week and saw this in the college parking lot and thought it was picture-worthy.

Yeah.......our schools are real safe. LOL

This is why people shouldn't merely depend on others to protect them. They should take their safety into their own hands. True story.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Its probably irrelevant. If the dems win the election all guns will be things of the past.

btw... went to jr. college in Tyler.

heard a good one groaner yesterday on why we carry guns... because cops are too heavy.

ooops... I guess that's fluff... right?

ByMySword

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    Its probably irrelevant. If the dems win the election all guns will be things of the past.
    Eh, they've been saying that for years. Just let them try it.

They'd have to pry them from my cold dead fingers. No joke.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Yeah.......our schools are real safe. LOL

This is why people shouldn't merely depend on others to protect them. They should take their safety into their own hands. True story.
    That's been two sets of shootings in the past year, not sure how many deaths, out of probably several hundred thousand or million going to some form of college. That's pretty safe. (I grew up i n a city of about 75000 people, for a comparison, I think there were maybe 1-2 murders a year there, and it qas overall considered quite safe. So colleges are doing quite well, at least by comparing events that we've heard abou on this forum.)

Also, the fact that shootings occur says nothing about how to make guns available in a way that most reduces the amount of murders, as well as not creating other problems. (One could also argue that a lot of these shootings occur in areas with good gun availability, making it easier for someone to just pick them up and use them, though my overal point is that none of these examples provide enough information to make a good overall decision.)

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    That's been two sets of shootings in the past year, not sure how many deaths, out of probably several hundred thousand or million going to some form of college. That's pretty safe. (I grew up i n a city of about 75000 people, for a comparison, I think there were maybe 1-2 murders a year there, and it qas overall considered quite safe. So colleges are doing quite well, at least by comparing events that we've heard abou on this forum.)

Also, the fact that shootings occur says nothing about how to make guns available in a way that most reduces the amount of murders, as well as not creating other problems. (One could also argue that a lot of these shootings occur in areas with good gun availability, making it easier for someone to just pick them up and use them, though my overal point is that none of these examples provide enough information to make a good overall decision.)

OTOH, the vast majority of murders in the United States occur in cities with very stringent gun control. Of course, the high murder rate is the rationale for the gun control, but it clearly does little-to-nothing to affect murder rates. If we truly want to lower the murder rate in America's inner cities, one thing would do it instantaneously, and save us hundreds of millions of dollars a year: decriminalize drugs.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    OTOH, the vast majority of murders in the United States occur in cities with very stringent gun control. Of course, the high murder rate is the rationale for the gun control, but it clearly does little-to-nothing to affect murder rates. If we truly want to lower the murder rate in America's inner cities, one thing would do it instantaneously, and save us hundreds of millions of dollars a year: decriminalize drugs.
    If the "source" of a high murder rate comes from something other than large/small/medium amounts of guns, than the rate will be higher no matter what, but there will still be an amount of gun control that will make the murder rate the least high.

For math oriented people, I'm thinking of murder rates as a function of gun control, drugs, population density, etc., and arguing about how much gun control is needed is like comparing murder rate amounts with gun control as the variable allowed ot change, while all the other ones are held constant. (Obviously it works in a more complicated way than that, but it does seem useful to think about it along the lines of "with other laws and attitudes fixed, what amount of gun control leads to the least murders")

i also am not arguing for a particular type/amount of gun control, the best one may be high in certain areas, medium in others, low in others, low everywhere, high everywhere, etc., but just arguing against "here are some crimes, these mean that we need ***** amount of gun control".

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

i also am not arguing for a particular type/amount of gun control, the best one may be high in certain areas, medium in others, low in others, low everywhere, high everywhere, etc., but just arguing against "here are some crimes, these mean that we need ***** amount of gun control".
    *mumbles* You'll need to conduct an experiment in order to figure out the how gun regulations impact the rate of murder... Actually I believe studies have been done before... Do I feel like searching through a database or something? Not really... perhaps you can zergling...

Pubmed would not be a good choice... try Academic Search Premier...

ByMySword

Cool

That's been two sets of shootings in the past year, not sure how many deaths, out of probably several hundred thousand or million going to some form of college.
    Two? No, more like three or four.

I know. I'm an asshole.