User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 80

  1. #51
    ByMySword
    Guest

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    Yup.



    I disagree, because that's typically the part you learn after buying the gun (practicing with it), and as for loading and shooting, there isn't too much you can really do wrong...either it works, or you jam it/do it wrong and it doesn't. Most civilians won't be much worse of a shot than the police I've seen are anyway. (Friend of mine is a cop, I got to watch some of their target shooting).

    I have no problem with a few basic tests to make sure you aren't going to kill yourself accidentally with it. Assuming you pass them, then you can buy whatever you want, and carry it however you want.
    Eh, too each his own. LOL. I think people should have some schooling on everything. There are proper forms in order to insure safe and accurate handling. But I don't have to worry about it. I know how to shoot properly. LOL.

  2. #52
    ByMySword
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    That's why I'm more afraid of the police carrying guns than the criminals and civilians. Criminals can't shoot straight at all, while any civilian with even a little interest in practice is a better shot than the vast majority of police officers...
    Criminals can't shoot straight? Where did you get that little peice of info? Hollywood? What about the mob? They're pretty affective in their killings.

    And the accuracy test that we take here for our CCW is the same that our DPS officers take.

    I agree with you on the issue, but I think you're stereotyping in this instance.

  3. #53
    only bites when provoked
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    Okay, I was generalizing too much. Your average street thug with a stolen pistol is almost certainly so inaccurate that the only way they could hit you is if they're up really close.

    In other news: Most uses of firearms in self defense happen at such close range that you barely need a barrel on the gun and effectively no training, except in safe handling.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

    Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

  4. #54
    ByMySword
    Guest

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Okay, I was generalizing too much. Your average street thug with a stolen pistol is almost certainly so inaccurate that the only way they could hit you is if they're up really close.

    In other news: Most uses of firearms in self defense happen at such close range that you barely need a barrel on the gun and effectively no training, except in safe handling.
    Yeah I figured that's what you were thinking of. I can't believe anyone would fire their gun sideways and above their head!

    But true, most gunfights are short range. It's not like the sterotypical Western move where two guys square off 10 ft apart. LOL. Pistols are very innacurate. So these movies where you see long range shots with pistols, are usually just fiction. That's not to say that you can't make a long-range shot with a pistol, but its generally not done.

  5. #55
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ExTJ
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    On the issue of CCW holders pulling their weapons: In the courses here, they teach you not to pull your weapon until the moment when you feel you are forced to use it. If you pull your gun as a threat, that is against the law and you can be arrested. I've heard several stories of guys who have used their guns for this purpose and their assailant called the cops and got the guy arrested. Sucks the way loopholes in the law works, doesn't it?
    Not that much, the use you describe seems more to be a use of a gun for control over someone else rather than for the purpose it is in theory being used for. (Not to mention the fact that some arguments or other disagreements just don't seem worthy of bringing weapons out for.) This seems like one of those situations that may end up as a reason to avoid having lots of weapons around, since it seems a safety issue when arguments ofr disagreements more easily stretch to weapon usage.

  6. #56
    Per Ardua Metamorphosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    3,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    Not that much, the use you describe seems more to be a use of a gun for control over someone else rather than for the purpose it is in theory being used for. (Not to mention the fact that some arguments or other disagreements just don't seem worthy of bringing weapons out for.) This seems like one of those situations that may end up as a reason to avoid having lots of weapons around, since it seems a safety issue when arguments ofr disagreements more easily stretch to weapon usage.
    I understand what you mean. But that's like saying that cops exist to catch criminals but not deter them.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

    Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

  7. #57
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ExTJ
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I understand what you mean. But that's like saying that cops exist to catch criminals but not deter them.
    Not really, it may be that we have different situations in mind, and it sounds like the system may need more flexibility to be useful. I'm thinking in general of an argument where someone might get angry enough to bring out a gun (knife, etc.), but than the next day after they calm down, would realize that the argument was not work bringing out the weapon for. (Of course, with no actual information on how often, and in what situations, these sorts of things occur, there really isn't anything to argue over.)

  8. #58
    no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Carrying a gun is like wearing a seat belt. I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
    What about having it, not needing it, but using it anyway?

    Or, needing it, and not having it, and stealing it from someone else who also needs it?
    we fukin won boys

  9. #59
    Procrastinating
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    954

    Default

    I don't think it will happen because administrations don't want the negative media coverage they would attract. I would like to see designated students carrying them though... perhaps having gone through a special police-run class. A shooter wouldn't know if there was one in the class. The problems with that are that somone in the office might divulge the names of the people carrying and the administration might also fear being sued since they would, then, be involved.

  10. #60
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    I am in favor of gun rights and people having the right to protect themselves.

    I think teachers and professors and other staff should especially have the right to carry guns on campus.

Similar Threads

  1. The Republican assault on college
    By LovecraftianMonstrosity in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-08-2017, 02:16 PM
  2. Airline to charge for carry ons
    By kendoiwan in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-07-2010, 12:17 PM
  3. What if Ns weren't allowed on the internet?
    By 527468 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 05-25-2009, 11:53 PM
  4. Concealed vs. Unconcealed Carry
    By Metamorphosis in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-06-2008, 05:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO