User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Merkw View Post
    Looser restrictions on gun laws will never result in any form of safety whatsoever. The more we allow people to freely purchase guns, the more dangerous society will become.
    This isn't about loosening gun laws and who can carry them...

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    like Cops?
    people with adequate training and experience, yes.

i think CCW is fine (I would even encourage it) for people who are willing to put in the time and money necessary to become trained... as well as practice from time to time. the more "good guys" with guns the better, but someone who has a gun and doesnt know how to use it will probably only contribute to the danger.

i have a handgun as well as a CCW license, but I dont carry it around because i havent been to the gun range for months and i would feel more comfortable with a less volatile form of self defense (baseball bat!)

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    Probably not technically but it's a serious issue and the frequency has escalated.
    I'm not really sure if that's true. The number of people killed/hurt in school shootings is pretty minimal. I'm sure I've said this before, but more kids die playing football each year.

My good friend told me today that someone from my old high school shot themselves in the gym at school in front of a bunch of students today. Got me to thinking more about it.
    Well, he shot himself. He didn't harm anyone else. Don't see how that matters much in the argument.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    I'm not really sure if that's true. The number of people killed/hurt in school shootings is pretty minimal. I'm sure I've said this before, but more kids die playing football each year.

Well, he shot himself. He didn't harm anyone else. Don't see how that matters much in the argument.
    :rolli:

Football is a voluntary sport with understood risks, as is any physical sport. Accidents happen and it's a damn shame. However, no innocent persons should ever have their arms tied (figuratively speaking) when in the presence of a psycho with a firearm. Frequency has escalated, you kidding me?... Was there even a single report of a massacre style shooting 30 years ago on a college campus? How can you say it's not a significant problem when the massacre at VT that claimed 5 faculty members 27 students and wounded many more just happened a few months back?

I realize the guy at that high school shot himself and it wouldn't/shouldn't even be legal for HS students to have CCW. Same principle applies though. How easy would it have been for him to turn the gun on others first?

A college campus where there are students old enough and responsible enough to have a CCW, there's no logical reasoning for why their right should be revoked on their school campus in light of what's happened at VT and other like incidents.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Question: How does having an extra gun (or two or a dozen or a few hundreds) make the campus any safer?

The safest way is to have no potential weapons available on campus. So maybe that's not very reasonable as you can turn pretty any thing into a weapon. But things those primary use is to harm should not be allowed. Do what those US highschools/elementary does (or so I've been told) Put a fence around the place, and install metal detectors.

That's the paranoid route... a secondary question... Perhap it'll be better to figure out why people are shooting in the first place (the source of the problem) and address that as oppose to having more guns around.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Question: How does having an extra gun (or two or a dozen or a few hundreds) make the campus any safer?
    Someone pulls a gun. They get shot.

or

Someone pulls a gun, shoots 30 people, then kills himself.

The safest way is to have no potential weapons available on campus. So maybe that's not very reasonable as you can turn pretty any thing into a weapon. But things those primary use is to harm should not be allowed. Do what those US highschools/elementary does (or so I've been told) Put a fence around the place, and install metal detectors.
    I've never been to a high school like that. Plus, I'm sure there would be ways around it.

That's the paranoid route... a secondary question... Perhap it'll be better to figure out why people are shooting in the first place (the source of the problem) and address that as oppose to having more guns around.
    That's great, but not really feasible. You can't help every individual psychologically, especially if you don't know there's a problem.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post

College campuses are too open and not confined enough to arm every entrance to a building with a metal detector. Not only that but you'd need people 24/7 to be at those detectors to separate contraband from normal everyday items.

People are shooting because they are depressed and not fully mentally healthy. Society has glorified violence more and more over the years and these massacres continuing to happen and getting heavy media coverage aren't a suggestion that they'll just end.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Someone pulls a gun. They get shot.

or

Someone pulls a gun, shoots 30 people, then kills himself.
    How about somebody pulls out a wallet and they get shot? I'm referring to this incident: Amadou Diallo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

These are police officers making a mistake... I think they would have more training with handling a gun than the average citizen. (I don't even want to think about people ill equip with handling one). My question to you... is it more likely for an accidental shooting to happen? or is it more likely for an actual crazy shooting to happen?

That's great, but not really feasible. You can't help every individual psychologically, especially if you don't know there's a problem.
    College campuses are too open and not confined enough to arm every entrance to a building with a metal detector. Not only that but you'd need people 24/7 to be at those detectors to separate contraband from normal everyday items.
    Fair enough... but having more guns isn't the way to go. Seriously if people need help, the system should try to address that.

Yes I'm a pacifist.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    Yay or nay and your reasons/argument.

Yay - Something needs to be done. The whole thing is getting out of hand. Every other week there is a shooting or at least someone brandishing a fire arm. The people that have properly done what needs to be done in order to qualify to carry a concealed hand gun shouldn't be denied their right to defend themselves and others. Isn't that what they went through the trouble of getting their concealed carry permit for in the first place?
    Yeeeehaaaw, I think you should also bring Hummers or helicopters with mounted machine guns and grenade launchers on campus. That way oposing camps could properly exterminate each other in live action battles. You could even make a Game Show out of it. Maybe you can even use some of your super-harmless mini-nukes for extra spectacular effects.

ByMySword

Quote Originally Posted by Merkw View Post
    Looser restrictions on gun laws will never result in any form of safety whatsoever. The more we allow people to freely purchase guns, the more dangerous society will become.
    Not true. Tell me...if you knew that everyone was carrying a gun, you would be very hesitant to get into a confrontation with them wouldn't you? And they would probably feel the same way. Everyone would be a lot more respectful to people. If more people carried guns there would be less shootings.

Now if nobody had guns, the criminals would be able to get them anyways. So now the public is defenseless. The cops can't possibly protect everyone at all times.

Edit: Oh and as ironic as this is: Just watched the news. There have been two killings at two different college campuses leaving two girls dead. One at Auburn University and another at a college in N. Carolina. The worse part is that the killers are still on the loose. Yeah.....our colleges are so safe.