User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: War Toys

Default War Toys

I just recently bought some nerf toys after a friend of mind and his kids started to play with them, I was surprised when some of his neighbouring kids came and joined in that they said their parents had prohibited any toy guns in their household and wouldnt be pleased that they were actually playing with them.

Its not enough that most toy guns, including nerf, dont actually resemble any real guns but for some households war toys are just out of the question, I was wondering what anyones opinions are? Perhaps you have outlawed them in your own family or would? What's the aim? What does it teach or not teach?

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I think that the idea of not allowing kids to play with nerf guns beause of some fear that it will inspire violence is non-sensical and stupid. Just because ten-year olds play with toy guns, rough-house, and engage in other physical play doesn't mean that they're going to be more violent when they're older. Hell those things are the norm for most male children, myself being no exception.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    I think that the idea of not allowing kids to play with nerf guns beause of some fear that it will inspire violence is non-sensical and stupid. Just because ten-year olds play with toy guns, rough-house, and engage in other physical play doesn't mean that they're going to be more violent when they're older. Hell those things are the norm for most male children, myself being no exception.
    I agree. I played with toy guns all of the time. When I got older I shot real guns.It didn't make me a violent person at all. I simply grew out of that phase of childhood.
    I don't think there is any causative connection here.

MBTI
    INTP

Rule #1: No fun allowed

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Originally posted by nebbykoo
    I agree. I played with toy guns all of the time. When I got older I shot real guns.It didn't make me a violent person at all. I simply grew out of that phase of childhood.
    Exactly, I mean if playing with toy weapons and imaginary violence really had a negative effect on children I'd be an axe-crazy psycho killer by now.

Originally posted by Beargryllz
    Rule #1: No fun allowed
    But all work and no play like totally sucks.

MBTI
    SEXY

I loved playing with NERF guns. Besides, being out of the house playing wargames gets the kids their excersize.
    (removed)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    EXPP

These parents are awesome! I think my kids will be raised like this. No violence ever. No meat. No dairy. Just love. And airplanes. And electric cars.

But they would be allowed chemistry sets. And model rockets. And geology kits.
    a cat is fine too

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    EXPP

Violence and war shouldn't be allowed in kids play because it programs little boys to think and behave like warriors - like that is their main purpose in life. War is hell, toys trivialize this.
    a cat is fine too

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6-5

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    This.

I shot real guns when I was as young as 5 yrs old (sounds crazy today huh?). Supervised of course. I had toy guns, bb/pellet guns, cap guns, army men, GI joes, Bow and arrows and never got into trouble with them. I knew the consequences. I was in archery club in middle school and 3 consecutive years I won a 20lb turkey at the turkey shoot (target shooting) for thanksgiving. That was a pretty cool feeling at that age to win thanksgiving dinner for your family.

I still play "violent" FPS computer games and I am far from a violent person. I think banning kids from having these toys will only server to have to opposite of the intended effect. Just like telling kids you can't have beer, can't have sex, can't have sweets etc. It only drives the need more. My parents used to offer me tastes of alcohol as a young teen, but I never even aquired the taste for it til much later and never really wanted it. I had junk food at my disposal, but I exercised all the time. When I was off to college and did enjoy alcohol, I never went bezerk with it. I was allowed to have private time with girlfriends in HS behind closed doors and never got someone knocked up.

We are making your youth pussified and soft and are so overprotective it is ridiculous.

I know when you look outside yourself and think about kids playing with toy guns it can seem bizarre, but it must just be some primal urge we have inside, even if it is only fantasy. Its funny, I was watching Bill Mahr last night and he showed these photos of when he was a kid and always had guns/holsters on and refused to take them off.

Now you know what they ought to ban, is those stupid child beauty pageants. Those are outright creepy.
    Type 6w5 sp/so/sx I think..I have not fully explored this and just discovered it.

ThatGirl

Yeah the thing about kids though, is they have an imagination.

My mother used to watch westerns, and my nice and nephews would play cops and robbers. My son at age one or 1 1/2 would bite his sandwiches into the shape of a gun and shoot everyone with the crusts in public. This got me some weird looks.

I'd rather teach children that it is fake. It is a game you play, but not something you actually do. Rather than create some mysterious taboo around the subject, making them curious about what it is really like.

I played with toy guns when I was younger...and I turned out fine.