User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: War Toys

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

These parents are awesome! I think my kids will be raised like this. No violence ever. No meat. No dairy. Just love. And airplanes. And electric cars.

But they would be allowed chemistry sets. And model rockets. And geology kits.
    Violence and war shouldn't be allowed in kids play because it programs little boys to think and behave like warriors - like that is their main purpose in life. War is hell, toys trivialize this
    I wonder if your kids will enjoy the hermetically sealed bubble you intend to raise them in...

MBTI
    INTP

WOOOOOOOOOOOOSH

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioINTP View Post

I think banning kids from having these toys will only server to have to opposite of the intended effect. Just like telling kids you can't have beer, can't have sex, can't have sweets etc. It only drives the need more. My parents used to offer me tastes of alcohol as a young teen, but I never even aquired the taste for it til much later and never really wanted it. I had junk food at my disposal, but I exercised all the time.
    My experience tells me exactly the opposite.

When I was young, my parents and grandparents banned toy guns or anything close to that description, but I never felt the need or the urge to possess or to use a real gun. The truth is that now that I am an adult, I still think America's gun culture is deeply and utterly insane. Curious isn't it?

When you have witnessed many times what kind of damage these wonderful "tools" could do to real humans -just like I did in Africa or in the Middle-East for instance-, well... It makes you think twice.

Always remember guns are primarily designed to kill other fellow men the most effective way, and nothing else.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Smile The Limitation of Power

Political violence is the antithesis of liberal democracy and the limitation of power.

However the limition of power is counter-intuitive while the maximising of power is intuitive.

Guns of course maximise power so we limit guns to our police and military under the control of our unarmed civilian liberal democratic government.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

What age group? I wasn't allowed to have toy guns, or even water pistols until "middle school age" because my parents don't like guns.

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

I played with toy guns. I'm the next Ted Bundy. College bitches better watch the fuck out.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6-5

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    My experience tells me exactly the opposite.

When I was young, my parents and grandparents banned toy guns or anything close to that description, but I never felt the need or the urge to possess or to use a real gun. The truth is that now that I am an adult, I still think America's gun culture is deeply and utterly insane. Curious isn't it?

When you have witnessed many times what kind of damage these wonderful "tools" could do to real humans -just like I did in Africa or in the Middle-East for instance-, well... It makes you think twice.

Always remember guns are primarily designed to kill other fellow men the most effective way, and nothing else.
    I'm quite aware of what real guns can do, as are 99.9% of people. If you are referring to the drug lords and children in Africa fighting drug wars with AK47's then I am pretty certain they didn't have toy guns growing up. They were coerced in some way to join the fighting. It has nothing to do with toys, which is the topic of conversation. All my friends and I had toy guns or used our fingers if we didn't. We weren't stupid enough to think that real guns don't kill people. Give me a break. It's just what kids do (here), like playing football, baseball or riding a bike.

Is America gun crazy? Sure, I agree. I'm sure it looks even more so from your perspective in France. People like guns for different reasons. Hunting, collecting, sport shooting, self defense, paintball, airsoft etc. Me, I have no desire to hunt any animal and frankly I hate to see animals like bears hunted for sport, but I understand when deer herds need to be thinned. I guess at least that is more humane than bear traps though. I find guns interesting from a historical and engineering prospective, but I have zero desire to be involved in war myself. Fact is, guns are here to stay, and if people weren't using guns to kill each other they would be using swords, arrows, rocks, chemicals or something else.

Much of the violence and "gun abuse" is a direct result of the illegal drug trade IMO. If they were made illegal, I wouldn't mind that much, but all I am saying it toy guns don't lead to murderers. Nor do video games.
    Type 6w5 sp/so/sx I think..I have not fully explored this and just discovered it.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

ScorpioINTP,

Thank you for your unexpected "sane" answer, even from my perspective in France.

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioINTP View Post
    I'm quite aware of what real guns can do, as are 99.9% of people. If you are referring to the drug lords and children in Africa fighting drug wars with AK47's then I am pretty certain they didn't have toy guns growing up. They were coerced in some way to join the fighting.
    Forgive me, but I think I slightly disagree. Those children weren't "coerced" that much. As I have witnessed, many would kill you just for fun.
    Hence I think the issue is more complex, that it also has to do with our hormones, hidden instincts of aggression and even local culture, human context in a broad sense of the term.

Much of the violence and "gun abuse" is a direct result of the illegal drug trade IMO. If they were made illegal, I wouldn't mind that much, but all I am saying it toy guns don't lead to murderers. Nor do video games.
    I don't think it's that simple. As Victor pointed, the issue involves hidden many political and cultural factors, and I should also mention psychological ones too. Dark factors working deep within the human psyche, but factors we have to take into account nonetheless.

Thanathos, the death drive.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    EXPP

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I wonder if your kids will enjoy the hermetically sealed bubble you intend to raise them in...
    Because they're taught to respect life? Um... okay...
    a cat is fine too

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    EXPP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I played with toy guns when I was younger...and I turned out fine.
    This should be certified by a neutral third party.
    a cat is fine too