User Tag List

12 Last

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Default Anyone else find the news media annoying?

I've been following the election coverage on CNN lately. (This could be my problem, but anyway read on). Right after the Super Tuesday results a month ago, a variety of news sources stated that Hillary Clinton would be focusing her campaigning in Texas and Ohio since they were bigger states, while Barack Obama would be spending a fair amount of time campaigning in all of the states.

Now I would think a reasonable person with this information would assume that Barack Obama would take all of the states up until March 4, and then Hillary Clinton would win Texas and Ohio. But if you look at the news media's reaction to the whole thing, it's like they've been making each state some monumental victory/loss. First Obama has unstoppable "momentum" in winning 11 contests in a row, and then Clinton has miraculously gained "momentum" by winning Texas and Ohio. :rolli: To me it seems like they are overinflating the news and creating a story that is not really there.

In reality it looks like the story, to me, is that Obama won by greater margins than expected in the first 11 contests, and Clinton won by smaller margins than expected in Ohio and Texas. The end result is that Obama is up by about 100 delegates, but it's still a close race.

I know that margins are not as exciting as "momentum", but isn't there something to be said for reporting facts and trying to keep some perspective. It seems to me that, in the past few years especially, all of this 24 hour news coverage and so forth has lead to a lot more hype even in the "real news" (i.e. I'm not even including the Britney, Linsey, Paris, etc... news.)

Has too much news ruined the news?
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

god i hate the news.

i'm pretty much politically apathetic, though. if i started to care, i'd get way too pissed off. i'd rather focus my attention on something i can change.

MBTI
    INTJ

Yeah. Every election is "the most important election ever." I don't really even watch the news on t.v. anymore and I study politics.

The news is very little information mixed with a lot of attempted entertainment.

and even if I liked it before, the coverage of Ron Paul despite grass roots support would have made me stop
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I hate TV news anchors with such a passion that I end up reading the news- usually both a conservative and liberal US publication and a few foreign ones

They are incredibly shallow about things, blow stuff out of proportion and usually have no clue what they're talking about I suppose that's what happens when people are hired more for looks than for thier knowlege
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

The media in general is a pain in the ass. They're either blowing crap out of proportion or completely ignoring facts leaving you with a more censored view of things.

Thanks to the media being themselves, my hobby of working on my car is now canned, since I really have no desire to lose my car for a week, face thousands in fines, all while losing my right to appeal. All it would take is one cop on a power trip to make it happen. They can thank the media for it as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I do find their propensity for yellow journalism irritating, but you just have to ignore the spin and inferences they put on it, and look only for details and facts. CNN has been said to be worse than some others, though... I don't know what would be a better source, though.

MBTI
    ISTx

I don't want to hear the latest on celebrities unless they killed someone or went streaking in public and caught it on tape. Brittany did this today, Paris did that today, Tom Cruise said this today, blah blah blah. Celebrities aren't important. I'm sure there's an epidemic, a crisis or something else more worthy of airtime. A majority of people do care about stupid and worthless pop-culture related stuff which goes to show that the media's main focus is showing what people want and what gains attention, thus generating $ and leaving us with a half-assed and watered down display of "what's going on in the world." I haven't even mentioned politcal/social biases and political correctness.

News media sucks.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Thanks to the media being themselves, my hobby of working on my car is now canned, since I really have no desire to lose my car for a week, face thousands in fines, all while losing my right to appeal. All it would take is one cop on a power trip to make it happen. They can thank the media for it as well.
    Which law was added that makes this an issue?

MBTI
    ISTP

I don't like much of the news media. (Especially all of the major TV stations). Local papers usually have a relatively unbiased view in my experience, and the internet offers more news than you could possibly need. (And, you can find it on what you're interested in, not which person got shot in Newark today).
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    Which law was added that makes this an issue?
    Bill 203. It's aimed at Street Racers after the media went on a field day with one story followed by nothing but "Street Racing" stories for ages. Tho for months they neglected to mention the other people involved in the original story were driving drunk.

In the end the fines for street racing, and what constitutes street racing were all changed, you could be alone on a highway with no one around for miles and still get nailed with a street racing charge, there was an 80ish yr old man charged with it a few months back. You're better off driving drunk as the fines are smaller. The police don't even have to catch you in the act, they just have to "suspect or believe" that you have or are planning to be involved. The Attorney General is running around comparing performance shops to drug labs and bomb factories.

In the end all it's amounted to is millions in fines collected being payed by people who never would have been charged with it in the first place.

Heres an article on it. A hard look at the 'street racing' law
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.