Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Default Legalize Pot, Save Lives

I have an argument as to why we should legalize pot, that's somewhat unconvential from the traditional run-of-the-mill pro-pot arguments.

First it's important to understand where most pot you get comes from, Mexico and other countries near there, but mostly Mexico. Specifically, Mexican drug cartels, since they're the ones who profit off selling the stuff (along with other illegal drugs).

Now the thing about these drug cartels is that they're violent, ruthless, and corrupt. They maintain a lot of power through large sums of money, which they can use to economic advantage and bribery/corruption in the government. If those methods don't work then they resort to methods of fear; murdering those that stand in their way. The violence generated from their existence is horrific for many who live in Mexico and it is a primary motivation for many families to immigrate out of their Mexico into the U.S. where it is safer to live. Now of course many immigrant families don't have the money and time to wait for legal access into the U.S. and thus they immigrate illegally.

Now currently in the U.S. many people are sitting in prison for drug related offenses; smoking pot and or other drugs can get people locked up for a significant amount of time, and this large number of arrested people uses up a lot of tax payer money. Not to mention, it's just plainly cruel knowing how otherwise innocent people are suffereing the horros of prison.

Also those who do purchase illegal drugs of the street are (at least to an extent) unknowingly supporting drug cartels in power; the local vendors who sell drugs on the street aquire their drugs that come from the supplies of cartels in Mexico. Thus buying street drugs gives the cartels more power.

Now, if we legalize pot (and other drugs) then several things can happen; the cartels will lose a lot of power, giving the Mexican government a better edge of destroying them; illegal immigration will lessen as Mexican families will start to see a less hostile and violent life in Mexico and thus less incentive to immigrate; pot smokers won't have to suffer the horros of prison and prion crowding will lessen a lot; drugs can be produced here in the states, out of the hands of the cartels; companies producing those drugs will need workers, thus more jobs in the economy.

This can aslo be said og many other drugs as well, pot just being one of the biggest and most safest of all drugs.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I just want to ask, are you recommending that we use pot?

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

In another few years, Gen Xers will be taking over.. I assure you the war on Weed will be declared a losing battle and weed will at least be decriminalized if not out right legal.

Where I live .. Simple possession is a misdemeanor and can result in a fine. What it doesn't result in, is a criminal record.

We, as free citizens, are either responsible enough to self medicate and self sedate , or we aren't. The inconsistency in drug and alcohol laws speaks of conspiracy.

Tobacco is more harmful than weed.. so obviously it's not the health issues.
    Alcohol is temporary insanity in a bottle and addictive.
    Weed is not addictive and "might" evoke a psychotic episode in someone who already has a preexisting condition.
    SO obviously it's not the behavior modification potential or the fact it can take over your life and ruin it.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Originally posted by Lark
    Only when it's made here within the U.S. Otherwise use of it from the streets just results in more power for the drug cartels.

Originally posted by Arclight
    In another few years, Gen Xers will be taking over.. I assure you the war on Weed will be declared a losing battle and weed will at least be decriminalized if not out right legal.

Where I live .. Simple possession is a misdemeanor and can result in a fine. What it doesn't result in, is a criminal record.

We, as free citizens, are either responsible enough to self medicate and self sedate , or we aren't. The inconsistency in drug and alcohol laws speaks of conspiracy.

Tobacco is more harmful than weed.. so obviously it's not the health issues.
    Alcohol is temporary insanity in a bottle and addictive.
    Weed is not addictive and "might" evoke a psychotic episode in someone who already has a preexisting condition.
    SO obviously it's not the behavior modification potential or the fact it can take over your life and ruin it.
    right on brother.

MBTI
    INTJ

Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INT-

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Actually, I'd highly recommend that you use pot.
    INTP 4w5 SX/SP
    Tritype 4/5/8

Sniffles

I doubt that would solve the issue of the Zapatistas, so they would just find something else to shoot each other over.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Even if it doesn't stop the gangs completely, it will give the Mexican government an edge against them, as well as fix other social problems.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Brain View Post
    Even if it doesn't stop the gangs completely, it will give the Mexican government an edge against them, as well as fix other social problems.
    Like what? Mexico has been dysfunctional for quite some time. Legalization is not going to bring an end to the gangs, no more than legalizing alcohol brought an end to the mafia.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Originally posted by Peguy
    Like what? Mexico has been dysfunctional for quite some time. Legalization is not going an end to the gangs, no more than legalizing alcohol brought an end to the mafia.
    Still though, even if it doesn't make everything perfect in Mexico, it's but one step towards progress.