User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 107

  1. #61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Antisocial One, I question your understanding of economics.

    If pot is legalized, US corporations will get into that game because there is money to be made. I wouldn't be surprised if US tobacco companies got into it. There's no way in hell any drug cartel is going to out-compete a company like Philip Morris.
    Actually the need of those companies to have a marketable addictive substance is why I believe that it will eventually be legalised and probably even promoted as a healthy substance to use.

  2. #62
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,776

    Default

    except for the fact weed isn't addictive. at least not physically.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  3. #63
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    In another few years, Gen Xers will be taking over.. I assure you the war on Weed will be declared a losing battle and weed will at least be decriminalized if not out right legal.

    Where I live .. Simple possession is a misdemeanor and can result in a fine. What it doesn't result in, is a criminal record.

    We, as free citizens, are either responsible enough to self medicate and self sedate , or we aren't. The inconsistency in drug and alcohol laws speaks of conspiracy.

    Tobacco is more harmful than weed.. so obviously it's not the health issues.
    Alcohol is temporary insanity in a bottle and addictive.
    Weed is not addictive and "might" evoke a psychotic episode in someone who already has a preexisting condition.
    SO obviously it's not the behavior modification potential or the fact it can take over your life and ruin it.
    it's fucking ludicrous. it's simply because of the image pot and the people who smoke it has...smoking it does not seem as civilized as sipping on a martini...an alcoholic can wear a socialite mask but there's nothing prim n proper about passin around a doobie...it's really all it is. it's an image thing....pills and cocaine are more acceptable in those circles as well...but i truly doubt any of them actually believe they are less addictive or less detrimental to your health. everyone knows it.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    it's fucking ludicrous. it's simply because of the image pot and the people who smoke it has...smoking it does not seem as civilized as sipping on a martini...an alcoholic can wear a socialite mask but there's nothing prim n proper about passin around a doobie...it's really all it is. it's an image thing....pills and cocaine are more acceptable in those circles as well...but i truly doubt any of them actually believe they are less addictive or less detrimental to your health. everyone knows it.
    Well, several industries in the early- mid part of the 20th century, spent a lot of money smearing weed and attaching a very false label to it.
    The cotton industry, Tobacco and a few Pharm companies were 3 of the biggest examples.

    Weed is not a Narcotic.. Yet it is in the same classification as heroin. Narcotics are Opium based drugs or synthetic opium .. This is known as distortion of truth by association. You take an innocuous drug like weed and associate with something like heroin, and Voila!! your smear campaign is underway.

    Meanwhile.. Stupidity in a bottle.. is packaged as "Sophistication" and "Class"..

    It is fucking ludicrous.

  5. #65
    Another awesome member. Curator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    9
    Posts
    901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spin-1/2-nuclei View Post
    The only industry we currently have in place to mass produce, package, and distribute pot safely is the pharmaceutical industry - and I don't see them being willing to do so cheap enough to price out the cartels.
    There is actually already a business in california that already has all of the facilities ready to start producing enough to cover a huge majority of current usage, with plans to expand, they are just waiting for it to be legalized, which they believed was going to happen this last year... so right now they are just in a holding pattern...

  6. #66
    Another awesome member. Curator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    9
    Posts
    901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Well I live very very far from the US-mexican boreder so I will not hide that I don't know the "details".


    However I still think that the industry would have problems in the case that it gets legalized. Plus Mexico can always increase the quality of the goods if they realize that the business is not going that well. While on the other hand the cops would not be that much after them. But ok I see your point.


    Also I will not hide that I don't want legalization of pot in the US since I can clearly see how this would quickly spread on other countries simply as a extension of the pop culture that already exist. So people and cultures that don't want to live in a pot culture will be even more under pressure to legalize the pot.
    they actually cannot increase the quality of the goods and compete with domestic product at all, because of their environment, the very nature of the modern hybrid plants make this impossible, they are super sensitive to high heat, the vast majority of the cannabis produced in mexico is out door, and needs to be cooled by occasional misting with water to keep the plants from dieing, the high heat can also destroy some of the THC, there is no way they can grow the bulk they do now indoors, so if they do increase quality to compete by growing indoors, they will drastically reduce the quantity they can produce without being easily discovered, and drastically increase the cost of production...

    Also, I would like to point out, that countries that at least decriminalize it, have shown a decrease in use after the first few initial years, as the whole magic about it wears off... so the u.s. isnt going to become a pot culture,lol... places like amsterdam are only famous for going to smoke pot, because of U.S. Citizens going there to do it cause they cant here, if it became legal most places, there would be very little "culture" or otherwise based around it other than the few religious groups that traditionally use it.

  7. #67
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spin-1/2-nuclei View Post
    I think it's more of a question of how long will it take them to get in to the game and if they will eat the costs of doing so to drive down the costs of pot because if the cartels can produce it cheaper (and since they don't have to pay their workers much at all they can) the US corporations selling pot will not be able to compete. Even if they open up factories in Mexico to get access to the cheaper labor they will likely face fierce opposition from the cartels (in the form of terrorist attacks on their factories or intimidation of their employees or both). If they're willing to fight a war at the border of the USA I think it is pretty obvious what low levels they will stoop to in order to maintain control over the market. US corporations in Mexico will also likely become very familiar with the corruption in the Mexican government (also the result of the cartels) in record time...

    Thus,
    Unless US corporations setup their pot producing factories overseas in places like India or China (which would also require cooperation of their governments in legalizing the production of pot) - based on what american workers expect to get paid per hour I think it will be very difficult to offer pot at a price cheaper than what the current drug dealers already in place are asking... Most people will probably just grow their own - and those that cannot for whatever reason will simply continue to buy it from the cheapest source because if they didn't care about their effect on the drug violence before the legalization of pot they won't care about it after the legalization.

    So if pot is legalized I don't think it should be with the premise that we will somehow reduce crime but rather with the premise that people should be allowed to do whatever they want to their own bodies so long as they are not allowed to hurt anyone else and are doing so from a position of making informed decisions about potential impacts..
    I don't agree with any of this. I think it's all wrong.

    Cartels don't have the ability to raise capital. No bank is going to loan money to a drug cartel. And they're going to need lots of capital to compete with legitimate corporations that mechanize the harvesting process and roll and package their own cigarettes.

    Cartels don't have the necessary distribution networks, either. Once pot is legalized, most people aren't going to be buying it on the street from a dope dealer. They'll be buying it at Wal-mart, gas stations, and liquor stores (places that already sell tobacco products). Cartels have no experience in this area. They have plenty of experience shooting competitors on the street, but that experience will not help them. Companies like Wal-Mart may even refuse to buy from former drug cartels. Corporations with real, legitimate business people will slaughter cartels in this respect.

    Cartels don't have a chance in hell of competing with legitimate businesses.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  8. #68
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,776

    Default

    think it would do the country a lot of good for it to be legal. I know tons of people my age who don't smoke, but support the legalization of it, and I doubt those people are going to all of sudden start buying it just because it's legal. Most of them have tried weed, and simply didn't like it, I think the people who are going to smoke already smoke, and the ones who don't probably won't start. So legalizing it won't lead to a nation of pot heads, hell I know people in their 30's and 40's with careers who smoke pot. So pot really isn't just for highschool and college, it's for relaxing. some people use it to expand creativity, I'm not saying that doesn't work for some people. It's just never worked for me. I use it to unwind, not find some truth about the universe.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  9. #69
    Another awesome member. Curator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    9
    Posts
    901

    Default

    http://www.trutv.com/conspiracy/in-t...t-arrests.html

    Very good article for anyone interested, its long, but has lots of good information on it, oh, and its posted by a mainstream news outlet, tru tv, owned by turner broadcasting, so the lack of propaganda is interesting.

  10. #70
    Senior Member guesswho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,983

    Default

    Uh cool..I can smoke pot for scoliosis

Similar Threads

  1. smart ways to save money other uber-cheap living ideas
    By Sanctus Iacobus in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-09-2011, 08:06 PM
  2. Famous Living NFs
    By Economica in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 144
    Last Post: 08-04-2009, 02:33 PM
  3. Sometimes guns do save lives.
    By Sniffles in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-06-2009, 07:59 PM
  4. Famous living Sensers
    By Economica in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 04-27-2009, 10:52 AM
  5. Famous living NTs
    By Economica in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 08-19-2007, 01:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO