User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 107

  1. #51
    Tier 1 Member LunaLuminosity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    2,484

    Default

    Who said anything about legalizing cannabis for adolescents?

  2. #52
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,534

    Default

    We can read about cannabis and psychosis by clicking on -

    http://www.unsw.edu.au/news/pad/arti...bis_study.html

  3. #53
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,678

    Default

    I am the only that is seeing a potential fatal hole in this plan ?


    Cartels have already systematic and mass production while the producers in the US are basically just a bunch of enthusiast. Which means that if you legalize pot the odds are pretty good that you will just get swarmend with pot from the south. Especially since they can rise the amount of pot that they produce pretty quickly since they already have mass production going on.

    Plus they would probably have the ecomomic advantage in the long run. Since the workforce in much cheaper than in the States and they probably wouldn't need to pay taxes at home since their business would still be ilegal at home(especially since they technically own their goverment). So in the end they would have even more money that is needed to control their own goverment(s). Also it is quite likely that the pot industry in the US would need a strong and organized security since conservative people would probably try to destroy it with their own guns , explosives and other tools. What means that the odds that this industry can freely maintain itself in the US are minimal. Since expences would probably be a way too high and competition from the south is too well organized and too cheap. What means that you are pretty much doomed to the import and that basically means that you just got the another channel for sucking the money out of the US and harming its economy.


    So even if you legalize pot on the US you will have to defend yourself from the cheap pot that is being imported in order to maintain homeland production. And even if you do so you will still make much easier to distribute the cheap and ilegal pot from the south since the police would not spend so much time analyzing the "pot business".

    Not to mention that with so much pot around the demand would probably increase as well.



    So my answer to the OP is: I think that you are brainwashed by cheap pop culture propaganda.

  4. #54
    Another awesome member. Curator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    9
    Posts
    901

    Default

    most people even now dont smoke the cheaper stuff from the south, cause its all super crappy quality, the best weed in the world is grown in the green triangle(up in northern california), and hundreds of tons of it are grown there every year... all of our current medicinal mj comes from inside the country, mexico produces crap weed... they may still try to sell some, but their revenue stream will be massively reduced... Just in my home town, cops have destroyed 10's of thousands of plants in single busts be4... lots of commercial pot growing been going on in california for a loooooooong time. (I have even worked trimming in a field once, they easily had over 10k plants, they weren't a mexican gang either,lol)

  5. #55
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Antisocial One, I question your understanding of economics.

    If pot is legalized, US corporations will get into that game because there is money to be made. I wouldn't be surprised if US tobacco companies got into it. There's no way in hell any drug cartel is going to out-compete a company like Philip Morris.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  6. #56
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,678

    Default

    Well I live very very far from the US-mexican boreder so I will not hide that I don't know the "details".


    However I still think that the industry would have problems in the case that it gets legalized. Plus Mexico can always increase the quality of the goods if they realize that the business is not going that well. While on the other hand the cops would not be that much after them. But ok I see your point.


    Also I will not hide that I don't want legalization of pot in the US since I can clearly see how this would quickly spread on other countries simply as a extension of the pop culture that already exist. So people and cultures that don't want to live in a pot culture will be even more under pressure to legalize the pot.

  7. #57
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    I think that even if we don't legalize drugs, we should still scale back on fighting it. I think the current laws are ineffective, but if they remain on the books, we should simply put less money and effort into enforcing them. Basically, it's still technically illegal, and you can't sell drugs in front of a police officer, but no more effort into actively fighting the problem. The only really effective deterrent the laws provide, is discouraging conscientious people from using them. Enforcement does little or nothing anyway, and should be minimal, just done once in a while to make an example of people.

    I think that the money we save on scaling back enforcement of the anti-drug laws, could be used for recovery clinics and anti-drug social campaigns. Shift the money into helping people recover from drug addiction, and discouraging the use in the first place, rather than on punishing them for what they do.

  8. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I am the only that is seeing a potential fatal hole in this plan ?


    Cartels have already systematic and mass production while the producers in the US are basically just a bunch of enthusiast. Which means that if you legalize pot the odds are pretty good that you will just get swarmend with pot from the south. Especially since they can rise the amount of pot that they produce pretty quickly since they already have mass production going on.

    Plus they would probably have the ecomomic advantage in the long run. Since the workforce in much cheaper than in the States and they probably wouldn't need to pay taxes at home since their business would still be ilegal at home(especially since they technically own their goverment). So in the end they would have even more money that is needed to control their own goverment(s). Also it is quite likely that the pot industry in the US would need a strong and organized security since conservative people would probably try to destroy it with their own guns , explosives and other tools. What means that the odds that this industry can freely maintain itself in the US are minimal. Since expences would probably be a way too high and competition from the south is too well organized and too cheap. What means that you are pretty much doomed to the import and that basically means that you just got the another channel for sucking the money out of the US and harming its economy.


    So even if you legalize pot on the US you will have to defend yourself from the cheap pot that is being imported in order to maintain homeland production. And even if you do so you will still make much easier to distribute the cheap and ilegal pot from the south since the police would not spend so much time analyzing the "pot business".

    Not to mention that with so much pot around the demand would probably increase as well.



    So my answer to the OP is: I think that you are brainwashed by cheap pop culture propaganda.
    Agreed.

    If it's legalized it will have to be practically given away - therefore literally pricing
    the cartels out of the market. The only industry we currently have in place to mass produce, package, and distribute pot safely is the pharmaceutical industry - and I don't see them being willing to do so cheap enough to price out the cartels.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    watch where you're driving f$cktards! I have the right of way!!! :steam:

  9. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Antisocial One, I question your understanding of economics.

    If pot is legalized, US corporations will get into that game because there is money to be made. I wouldn't be surprised if US tobacco companies got into it. There's no way in hell any drug cartel is going to out-compete a company like Philip Morris.
    I think it's more of a question of how long will it take them to get in to the game and if they will eat the costs of doing so to drive down the costs of pot because if the cartels can produce it cheaper (and since they don't have to pay their workers much at all they can) the US corporations selling pot will not be able to compete.. Even if they open up factories in Mexico to get access to the cheaper labor they will likely face fierce opposition from the cartels (in the form of terrorist attacks on their factories or intimidation of their employees or both). If they're willing to fight a war at the border of the USA I think it is pretty obvious what low levels they will stoop to in order to maintain control over the market. US corporations in Mexico will also likely become very familiar with the corruption in the Mexican government (also the result of the cartels) in record time...

    Thus,
    Unless US corporations setup their pot producing factories overseas in places like India or China (which would also require cooperation of their governments in legalizing the production of pot) - based on what american workers expect to get paid per hour I think it will be very difficult to offer pot at a price cheaper than what the current drug dealers already in place are asking... Most people will probably just grow their own - and those that cannot for whatever reason will simply continue to buy it from the cheapest source because if they didn't care about their effect on the drug violence before the legalization of pot they won't care about it after the legalization.

    So if pot is legalized I don't think it should be with the premise that we will somehow reduce crime but rather with the premise that people should be allowed to do whatever they want to their own bodies so long as they are not allowed to hurt anyone else and are doing so from a position of making informed decisions about potential impacts..
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    watch where you're driving f$cktards! I have the right of way!!! :steam:

  10. #60
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Curator View Post
    most people even now dont smoke the cheaper stuff from the south, cause its all super crappy quality, the best weed in the world is grown in the green triangle(up in northern california), and hundreds of tons of it are grown there every year... all of our current medicinal mj comes from inside the country, mexico produces crap weed... they may still try to sell some, but their revenue stream will be massively reduced... Just in my home town, cops have destroyed 10's of thousands of plants in single busts be4... lots of commercial pot growing been going on in california for a loooooooong time. (I have even worked trimming in a field once, they easily had over 10k plants, they weren't a mexican gang either,lol)
    yup my weed comes from their. And when I went and visted my brother their I had the best weed ever. I time traveled, after smoking it, pretty sweet I was in the 1920s. Oh and I do support legalizing it. Mostly because the dealers with the best weed usually know they have the best so they feel like they can be jerks because they know they'll always have customers.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

Similar Threads

  1. smart ways to save money other uber-cheap living ideas
    By Sanctus Iacobus in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-09-2011, 08:06 PM
  2. Famous Living NFs
    By Economica in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 144
    Last Post: 08-04-2009, 02:33 PM
  3. Sometimes guns do save lives.
    By Sniffles in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-06-2009, 07:59 PM
  4. Famous living Sensers
    By Economica in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 04-27-2009, 10:52 AM
  5. Famous living NTs
    By Economica in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 08-19-2007, 01:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO