User Tag List

123 Last

Smile Gun Massacres and Adolesent Schizophrenia

Substantial Australian research recently published has shown that cannabis precipitates schizophrenia in a proportion of adolescents.

So although we don't jail users who possess small amounts of cannabis, it is unlikely in the light of these findings that we will legalise cannabis.

So how lucky can we be? We have banned guns and have had no gun massacres since, and cannabis will remain illegal, and together with a government campaign to limit adolescent use, the worst kind of schizophrenia, adolescent onset schizophrenia, will be limited.
    Last edited by Mole; 02-10-2011 at 06:47 PM.

MBTI
    INTP

Is there a connection between schizophrenia and violent behavior?

MBTI
    INFP

Sigarettes and Alcohol still take the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Is there a connection between schizophrenia and violent behavior?
    I think that the point I was trying to make was that my government has successfully stopped gun massacres and will now seek to limit early onset schizophrenia in adolescents due to cannabis use.

Yet another 'Hail Oz!' message from Julia Gillard.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Yet another 'Hail Oz!' message from Julia Gillard.
    When we read newspapers from the USA, we find almost no mention of Oz. So we have learnt, if we don't speak up, no one else will.

However we have found if we shout at the USA, they will listen. A good example was the liberation of East Timor. Our 25,000 army was faced with a 1,000,000 army, so having a long standing military treaty in good order with the USA, we asked for help. The USA were deaf to our pleas and wouldn't provide help, so we screamed at them, and finally they came to the party. The USA embassador pointed out that the USA would look askance at war against Oz and to back this up, the USA positioned a ship full of Marines off the coast of East Timor while we went ashore. And under the legal auspices of the United Nations we liberated East Timor.

MBTI
    intp

I have a bear-warding stick. Ever since I got it, I have not been the victim of a bear attack, or even so much as seen a bear. Maybe if I also get a headache warding stick I can get rid of those, too.

On a more serious note, my own personal (anecdotal) experience is that it can trigger latent mental illness. In particular, it triggers panic attacks in individuals who are prone to such disorders. That being said, there are major issues with the schizophrenia studies that have been done. In particular, it is questionable whether cannabis use triggers schizophrenia, or it is more common in this population due to self medication. Maybe there is no cause and effect relationship at all, but a gene that predisposes people to schizophrenia also increases risk taking behaviour or some other trait. To ban it based on a mere correlation is a mistake.

Even if cannabis directly causes early onset schizophrenia, this is still not a valid reason for prohibition. The drug has several valid medical uses, and preventing terminal cancer patients from receiving effective pain medication does nothing to prevent schizophrenia. Also, prohibition is ineffective and results in greater access for adolescents than heavily regulated but legal drugs like alcohol and tobacco.

Sniffles

East Timor did not have an army of one million. That's the entire population of the island.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by dala View Post
    I have a bear-warding stick. Ever since I got it, I have not been the victim of a bear attack, or even so much as seen a bear. Maybe if I also get a headache warding stick I can get rid of those, too.
    Meh....it's just good ol' Bear patrol at work!

MBTI
    INTP

Haters gonna hate