Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Default Is Car Towing Unfair?

Like when someone parks in a private parking space for whatever reason. Couldn't a simple tiket and small fine suffice as proportional punishment? Especially if they didn't mean to park in the wrong spot or only parked there for a couple minutes.

But when I watch those reality shows where they tow peoples cars...

I mean com'n! Some of these people could be miles away from their damn homes without any access to additional transportation, and they may need their vehicle for other daily things. Not to mention the impound lots and DMV's charge an arm and a leg and are innefeicent bureacracies that make people waste absurd amounts of time with paper work and all that.

As far as I'm concerned car towing (under most circumstances) is diproportionate punishment and theft by the state.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Yeah, it can bite. I've had a car towed once because it broke down and I had to roll it out of the road. I put a sign in the window and....

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Brain View Post
    Like when someone parks in a private parking space for whatever reason. Couldn't a simple tiket and small fine suffice as proportional punishment? Especially if they didn't mean to park in the wrong spot or only parked there for a couple minutes.

But when I watch those reality shows where they tow peoples cars...

I mean com'n! Some of these people could be miles away from their damn homes without any access to additional transportation, and they may need their vehicle for other daily things. Not to mention the impound lots and DMV's charge an arm and a leg and are innefeicent bureacracies that make people waste absurd amounts of time with paper work and all that.

As far as I'm concerned car towing (under most circumstances) is diproportionate punishment and theft by the state.
    I agree that in this particular instance, towing seems a disproportionate punishment to the offense.

In other cases, towing may be necessary. What if you parked somewhere and blocked someone's driveway- whether intentional or not?

Sometimes parking lots need to be cleared so that they can be snow plowed. This is true for the apartment complex I live in. We are given so much time to move our car out of the parking lot or get towed. It can be inconvenient to have to move our cars but we are given advance warning and plowing is necessary otherwise too much snow gets in the way. Someone who doesn't move their car should get towed so that the area can be cleared of snow.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Oberon

Local government doesn't give two shits about you and your little difficulties. It's all about the revenue.

Yeah, it's often unjustified, but if you don't pay the ransom you don't get your car back out of the impound lot, and that's that.

After reading your post I have a piece of advice for you SB, don't ever live in downtown Chicago. You would really flip out.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    After reading your post I have a piece of advice for you SB, don't ever live in downtown Chicago.
    I think that advice should apply to everyone, really, not just SB. And to uptown and the suburbs as well, not just downtown.

MBTI
    yupp

I live in downtown chicago, of course I don't have a car but i sometimes grab a car from my parents and go on road trips I've managed to get tickets both times i came up with the car. so annoying and they're so expensive.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I think that advice should apply to everyone, really, not just SB. And to uptown and the suburbs as well, not just downtown.
    Depends on why you're saying it, mouse. I lived downtown Chicago for years. I love the city, but how it's actually run is . . . . well, perhaps that's for another thread.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

I am a rental property manager and unfortunately if we evict a tenant and they leave their vehicles there, having their cars towed is the only legal recourse I have to getting the vehicles off the property.

Thankfully I've only had to do this once and it turned out the vehicles belonged to people who didn't even live at the friggin' house, they were just parking them there just because. We gave them two weeks notice to move the cars and they didn't budge so I didn't feel the slightest bit of regret when I had those suckers pulled off the property.

In instances like the above, I have no sympathy at all for the people getting their vehicle towed. They deserve it entirely.
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

...why is it unfair? It makes perfect sense. If you're not allowed to park somewhere, there's almost always a reason for it, and often a good one. You're usually blocking something.

If you're in a private parking space, you're preventing the person who pays for that space from parking there. Why? Because you're too lazy to find a real space, and/or too cheap to pay for parking. And you think it's "unfair" for your car to be removed???

Therefore, for that reason, your car is removed asap so it isn't blocking the way. If you don't like it, read (and obey) the parking signs....if anyone thinks they're entitled to park anywhere without regard for others, they deserve to be towed. If they "needed" their vehicle maybe they should park it in a legal parking space. It's not like the city runs around wantonly towing cars.....
    -end of thread-