User Tag List

First 3456 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    and we've never come up with shitty reasons to go to war?

you're restating my evaluation there and adding your opinion on the end

now if you'd left it at that in the first place I wouldn't have found the need to torment you.....
    Chavez seems pretty serious about at least appearing as if war is imminent, though. I don't like the sound of his rhetoric right now. But full-scale war is not the likeliest outcome. Still, I think he should be denounced for his actions. Cutting off ties with your neighboring country is a fairly drastic action, diplomatically, especially when that country is not making antagonistic noises.

Venezuela troops head to Colombia border - Yahoo! News

Also, the United States doing something wrong in the past is no excuse for Venezuela doing something wrong now, at all. If this were an Iraq War thread, then you'd have my views to that effect there.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

It won't be permanent- one of the more powerful politicians down there will talk some sense into him- he realizes in the back of his mind that Latin American countries need to stick together for the good of thier economies- and if not someone else will remind him of it!

nobody's that dumb- if you can survive in power as well as he has you have to have a good brain and ability to strategize!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    OMNi

Just thought I would interject a point here. It's impossible for a news publication to not have a slant. Even independent, centrist views, are a slant. In fact, the moment you read something that you can't tell has a slant, you have found your own personal slant. So whenever anyone tells me that this or that has less slant than this or that, I can tell where there slant is. In fact, the only way slant could be avoided, is if every view was presented in its entirety and I have yet to read (or see) a publication which does that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    It won't be permanent- one of the more powerful politicians down there will talk some sense into him- he realizes in the back of his mind that Latin American countries need to stick together for the good of thier economies- and if not someone else will remind him of it!

nobody's that dumb- if you can survive in power as well as he has you have to have a good brain and ability to strategize!
    Knowing how to stay in power does not = being a good leader, though. Being a canny politician, perhaps, but it's not something to be lauded. Stepping down in an orderly fashion is a lot more respectable.

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    That's outrageous.
    Peak oil, the wolfowitz papers, Chavez being a better President of Venezuela than Bush, the Hitler comment (which was about 10% facetious), or all of the above?

Hey I enjoy the argument, I don't think you're being unreasonable in a atypical way - I think the majority of the US population does hold your view (but at least your willing to discuss it at all). I get excited on certain forums because for some reason, it's generally unacceptable to talk politics in the office or at casual social events etc. This bizarre phenomenon helps fuel the ignorance of the average voting public in this country.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

but canny politician= intelligence= staying power

I doubt he'll fuck up- The OP seemed to be asking our opinions on the liklihood of war- not our opinions on the character of Hugo Chavez
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Just thought I would interject a point here. It's impossible for a news publication to not have a slant. Even independent, centrist views, are a slant. In fact, the moment you read something that you can't tell has a slant, you have found your own personal slant. So whenever anyone tells me that this or that has less slant than this or that, I can tell where there slant is. In fact, the only way slant could be avoided, is if every view was presented in its entirety and I have yet to read a publication which does that.
    We're all human, of course. But I made (or tried to make) distinctions between publications that are avowedly ideological, and those that attempt to present facts in an objective manner. Objective does not = "disinterested," though and that is something to keep in mind. It would be quite the relativist who would equate Reuters with, say, circa-1970 Pravda or circa-now Fox News Channel. We can make distinctions of degree.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by meanlittlechimp View Post
    Peak oil, the wolfowitz papers, Chavez being a better President of Venezuela than Bush, the Hitler comment (which was about 10% facetious), or all of the above?

Hey I enjoy the argument, I don't think you're being unreasonable in a atypical way - I think the majority of the US population does hold your view (but at least your willing to discuss it at all). I get excited on certain forums because for some reason, it's generally unacceptable to talk politics in the office or at casual social events etc. This bizarre phenomenon helps fuel the ignorance of the average voting public in this country.
    The Hitler comment I found offensive. I have spent an entire thread decrying authoritarianism in all its forms, and that just got my goat. I didn't mean to be intemperate.

Edit: I would hasten to add that the majority of people in America don't have an opinion one way or the other, and that is no good. Plus, as a libertarian, I am outside of the current mainstream of American politics.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    We're all human, of course. But I made (or tried to make) distinctions between publications that are avowedly ideological, and those that attempt to present facts in an objective manner. Objective does not = "disinterested," though and that is something to keep in mind. It would be quite the relativist who would equate Reuters with, say, circa-1970 Pravda or circa-now Fox News Channel. We can make distinctions of degree.
    I would be far more cautious of those that claimed they were trying to be "objective" than those that were clearly ideological. The slant is just hidden in "objective" publications. Take if from a former journalist, the point is never to seek the most objective source, but to find sources where you can identify and reason out the slant. In fact, I guarantee you would learn a lot more from reading two articles, one liberal and one conservative, on the same issue because you could obtain their particular slants and then be able to recognize it easier in later "objective" publications on that issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

@ Fox being "fair and balanced"