User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

I had to present this topic to my Foreign Policy class and we had a heated dicussion with a strong Israel supporter (he only supported Israel bcuz America did)... I was stuck in a Republican school!!
    So I ask the students if they had any solutions in mind and they said none, just leave it alone.. can't do anything about it... nothings been solved in the past won't be solved now...
    I wanted to slap everyone of them, or drop them into gaza and see how fast they would change their minds. But I had to let it go, feeling like I got NOTHING accomplished!
    The truth is on the side of the oppressed. -Malcolm X

sammy

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    Clever use of, "Oh, the poor, persecuted Jews!" After the Holocaust, then the world (and particularly the Western nations) really started to think the Jews needed a recompense.

Boy, did they get it. So, I wonder, when do the Palestinians get theirs, and whose ass do they have to kick, and then when does that person get their recompense, and so on? It could go on forever, but in the end, somebody loses out.

I don't know what asshole in the League of Nations (or was it later the United Nations?) actually BOUGHT INTO that Zionist movement, saying, "Yes, yes, of course, the way to end the suffering of these poor people is to make another group of people suffer! They're good sports. *chortle* They'll get over it."
    Hah, but it's never simple (unfortunately?)! I would, first of all, take a look at who is responsible for drawing the Middle East's countries' border lines. French and British. Then, take a look at who they placed as puppet rulers (in Saudi, Iraq and Trans-Jordan). Then....

It continues on. It's a classic case of "brothers betraying brothers" for their own greedy motivations.

The Zionist movement actually started in the 1800's, I believe. Their movement from Soviet Russia to other European countries was not viewed favorably, even by fellow Jews. If anything, more people wanted to be viewed as nationally tied to their country (so, they preferred to be considered German-Jews, not Jews living in German) than to have a separate land to maintain their Jewish "identity" so to speak.

There's a really good song by a band called Outlandish that I think is about this conflict. I like it, anyway. It's sad, and moving, and has good vocals and a good beat. I really like this band, too.

I youtube'd it, and now I see that it is definitely about this conflict. I was almost sure.

YouTube - Free Palestine - Sami Yusuf ft Outlandish - Try Not To Cry
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    There's a really good song by a band called Outlandish that I think is about this conflict. I like it, anyway. It's sad, and moving, and has good vocals and a good beat. I really like this band, too.

I youtube'd it, and now I see that it is definitely about this conflict. I was almost sure.

YouTube - Free Palestine - Sami Yusuf ft Outlandish - Try Not To Cry
    I love that song, very sad.
    It is about the Palestinian conflict, you're right.

I would, first of all, take a look at who is responsible for drawing the Middle East's countries' border lines. French and British. Then, take a look at who they placed as puppet rulers (in Saudi, Iraq and Trans-Jordan). Then....
    Yes, I know the British have been drawing the boundary lines in the Middle East for centuries, and that they were virtually in control of the area we now know as Israel when the idea of Israel was first proposed. This may be part of the reason the Israelis who migrated to Israel felt justified in staking a claim to the land. "Well, YOU never really owned it. The British did. And now they're giving it to us. You can't rightly say we're taking your land, because it was never really yours to begin with!" A valid argument, but it still doesn't justify pushing people out of their homes and taking the land by force. I realize religion and culture and the desire for a homeland played a big role.

The Zionist movement actually started in the 1800's, I believe. Their movement from Soviet Russia to other European countries was not viewed favorably, even by fellow Jews. If anything, more people wanted to be viewed as nationally tied to their country (so, they preferred to be considered German-Jews, not Jews living in German) than to have a separate land to maintain their Jewish "identity" so to speak.
    That's interesting. It's funny though, that there were so many Jews migrating to the newly-established Israel that the Palestinians started to riot and the British government had to put a halt to the immigration. For five years, only 15,000 Jews per year were allowed into Israel.

Let's keep talking. This is really helping my research project. It's helping me see how I can best organize my paper so that it's understandable.
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

I don't really have anything to add, other than I really like to hear Arundhati Roy talk.

YouTube - Arundhati Roy on the Palestinian / Israeli Conflict

(Video related to discussion.)
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by persianeyes View Post
    Education- Teach both the Palestinians and Israeli's that there is no "Victom" or "Persecuter", "good" or "evil" and there are more similarities than differences between eachother. There are many groups in America and Jarusalem that bring Palestinian and Israeli kids together to help them understand both sides. http://www.holtzbrinckpublishers.com...12318944TG.pdf
    This is a nice idea, and definitely a necessary part of any solution, but it's a much bigger issue than just the Israeli and Palestinian people. It's largely outside influences which stimulate the aggression. They've been in reach of peace a couple different times. I'd elaborate, but it's getting late and this topic hits a few sensitive spots for me. I'm backing out now....

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    This is a nice idea, and definitely a necessary part of any solution, but it's a much bigger issue than just the Israeli and Palestinian people. It's largely outside influences which stimulate the aggression. They've been in reach of peace a couple different times. I'd elaborate, but it's getting late and this topic hits a few sensitive spots for me. I'm backing out now....
    outside influences?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by persianeyes View Post
    outside influences?
    The political gains of other countries (both Western and Middle Eastern). The first example which comes to mind is the odd circumstance of the baseless protests on the Temple Mount last year coinciding with the UN conference evaluating possible weapon developments in Iran. I don't remember the death/injury count, but it was completely unfounded. The digging in question had begun at least a few weeks prior and was in no way in a position to undermine the Mount or Al-Aqsa Mosque. It disgusts me to watch the Palestinians being used as pawns by those who claim to fight their battles.

MBTI
    INFP

Gaza humanitarian crisis worst in 40 years: report - Yahoo! News

Food shortages, crumbling health services and a water and sewage system close to collapse are all part of the daily misery facing 1.5 million Palestinians in Hamas-controlled Gaza, a report by a coalition of British relief groups said.

The report painted a picture of an enclave held hostage by the embargo, which it said had worsened poverty and unemployment, crippled education services and made 1.1 million people -- 80 percent of the population -- dependent on food aid.

A senior U.N. official warned the dire conditions outlined in the report would be worsened by any escalation of Israeli military action in response to indiscriminate rocket attacks from Gaza.