User Tag List

123 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    INTP

Default Multiculturalism : Good or Bad ?

After German Chancellor Angela Merkel last year, British P.M. said that "British multiculturalism has failed".

I think multiculturalism is destroying Western identity, and that too many ethnic/religious minorities in one place can create ghettos, what do you think ?

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Are you talking about immigrants or nonwhite people, because those are different issues. I think you're talking about immigrants?

Quote Originally Posted by redScorpion View Post
    I think multiculturalism is destroying Western identity,
    That's a bit strong, isn't it? Particularly when "western identity" in Canada is all about multiculturalism? (well, maybe not so much in Quebec though, with the language factor?)

that too many ethnic/religious minorities in one place can create ghettos, what do you think ?
    Just a tad racist here, don't you think? Being a minority doesn't automatically make you poor. There are more obstacles for immigrants (cultural shock, language, etc) and for minorities in general (racism, more often raised in poverty) to getting above the poverty line, but many make it. In fact, many immigrants do a MUCH better job entering the work force etc than many perfectly aryan, "western", welfare-type families. They will often work around the clock at some crappy job just so they can better themselves.

I am strongly against the possibility of any sort of parallel law system such as sharia law, though. I draw the "multicultural" line at human rights violations.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Generally, multiculturalism caused by voluntary immigration is good. Conversely, multiculturalism as a consequence of a large quantity of desperate/really poor masses towards richer country generally leads to degradation and the creation of ghettos.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Banned
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Are you talking about immigrants or nonwhite people, because those are different issues. I think you're talking about immigrants?
    About immigrants. Non-white culturally-integrated westerners aren't not a problem.

That's a bit strong, isn't it? Particularly when "western identity" in Canada is all about multiculturalism? (well, maybe not so much in Quebec though, with the language factor?)
    I'm not canadian, I'm French from France. The Canadian and australian multiculturalism is pure neo-liberal propaganda. The residents never asked for it.

Just a tad racist here, don't you think? Being a minority doesn't automatically make you poor. There are more obstacles for immigrants (cultural shock, language, etc) and for minorities in general (racism, more often raised in poverty) to getting above the poverty line, but many make it. In fact, many immigrants do a MUCH better job entering the work force etc than many perfectly aryan, "western", welfare-type families. They will often work around the clock at some crappy job just so they can better themselves.
    I'm not racist, i'm black, and I think too much same ethnic/religious people concentrated in the same areas, same schools can be a huge problem.

I am strongly against the possibility of any sort of parallel law system such as sharia law, though. I draw the "multicultural" line at human rights violations.
    Muslims immigrants are very huge in Europe, the sharia law will be a problem in the next 20 years, you'll see...

Banned
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Conversely, multiculturalism as a consequence of a large quantity of desperate/really poor masses towards richer country generally leads to degradation and the creation of ghettos.
    Yeah like we can see in France, the UK, Spain, Italy and most rich Europeans countries...

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Well there is a problem when the culture of the majority is ignored.

Multiculturalism is anti democratic. And it's a pipe dream.

Proof? Why do little Italy and China Town neighborhoods exist in every Canadian city??
    Because people like to be around what they understand and know.

This creates a nation that defines itself as what it is not instead of what it is..

Ask any Canadian what a Canadian is, and 75% of the time the answer you get is "Not an American"
    How's that for an identity??.
    The other 25% will say , I am Italian, Korean, Somalian, Dutch, Iranian etc etc etc..

Multiculturalism creates division and feeds racism and racial stereo types.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INTj

Forced multiculturalism is awful. It breeds only resentment and hatred towards those the government is trying to integrate into society. Usually, unless things are reaching into the realm of hate crimes, such situations should be left alone. Eventually, people will grow used to the new and foreign concepts and start to accept them. But ramrodding multiculturalism down the throats of the citizenry does, as Arclight said, "create division and feeds racism and racial stereotypes."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ego Reparate; Ob Me Non Deficiat.
    INTJ - RCOEI - sx/sp/so - Tritype: 683 (6w5-8w9-3w4) - True Neutral
    "Yeah, wisdom always chooses/These black eyes and these bruises"
    "Over the heartache that they say/Never completely goes away..."

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

What do you think immigrants should be legally forced to do to avoid multiculturalism, then? Or should all the "western" countries just stop accepting all immigrants? What should be done about refugees? people married to Western citizens? How will you ensure that immigrants separate and mix in with "proper" people rather than their own people (if we are letting them in, of course)? What should you do when they want to organize a parade to celebrate a non-Christian holiday?

(By the way, being a minority in no way implies that you're incapable of saying racist/bad things about other minorities. I've seen plenty of non-white people saying objectively racist things - towards other minorities. )
    -end of thread-

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

The forcing of multiculturalism is not on the minorities.. It's on the majority.

The minorities are encouraged to keep their culture. Hence multiculturalism.
    The majority is told their culture is offensive to the minorities and to "pack it in"

When I was in the UK.. people were told that The Muslims,Jewish and Hindus were offended by things like Christmas and such..
    So someone did a survey of Muslims,Jewish and Hindus to see if this was in fact true..

Of course it wasn't.

We still got our "seasons greetings" card in the mail form the council reminding us to be sensitive to others.
    Be sensitive by denying your own culture in the name of not offending people who have publicly stated they are not offended.
    Meanwhile the Christian majority is offended.. But they are told to quit whining.
    So much for multiculturalism.

What a load of crap.. It's forced idealism.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    What do you think immigrants should be legally forced to do to avoid multiculturalism, then? Or should all the "western" countries just stop accepting all immigrants? What should be done about refugees? people married to Western citizens? How will you ensure that immigrants separate and mix in with "proper" people rather than their own people (if we are letting them in, of course)? What should you do when they want to organize a parade to celebrate a non-Christian holiday?
    I personally think that Western countries should all immigration (except marriage and entrepreneurs, like in China). We don't need it, we have enough unemployed people in here. But if immigration there is, the immigrant should be tested on if he knows perfectly the national langage, culture etc.. and if he's willing to integrate and accept our laws. Muslim immigrants should understand that wearing a "niqab" and "praying on the streets" is not our culture and not tolerated.

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Multiculturalism creates division and feeds racism and racial stereo types.
    Exactly.