User Tag List

First 56789 Last

It is good, but it depends on the country of origin and their laws. Both multiculturalism and assimilation stems from the country of origin. If the country of origin won't allow for such, than multiculturalism and assimilation won't happen.

Take Lima, Peru for example. It has quite a Mestizo population... compare it to say San Francisco and New York... and you'll see a startling contrast. The immigrants actually become part of Lima, Peru... and with open arms because the laws and practices cater to such. Take the Chinatown in Lima, Peru as another example, it is relatively small compared to the Chinese that live outside of it.

Violence and Identity

If there are three civilizations extant, Indian, Chinese and Western, then Islam is a failed political religion.

So if we belong to Indian, Chinese or Western civilizations, we have a secure identity. But if we belong to Islam our identity is insecure.

However a sure way to establish our identity is through violence and this is what we see in Islam.

Well, my family is a mix of Thai, Cambodian, Danish, and Norwegian. Some Chinese. I guess I can say I have firsthand experience with multiculturalism. I'm going to say it's good. Because I myself am awesome. I could be somewhat biased, but there is some truth to it. I am, in fact, not just different than you, but better. You're basically screwed that you're not like me.

Seriously though. This is a retarded thread, and deserves that kind of retarded response.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

wow... apparently my entire existance is flawed in a way

I live in a very mixed neighborhood, with neighbors of all different races who get along perfectly fine... my SO is half Indian and I'm a mix myself... I haven't seen ANYTHING detrimental to "western culture" occuring around here :rolli:
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP

Everyone in this thread seems to have their own definition of multi-culturalism, and assumes that everyone else shares that definition.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Everyone in this thread seems to have their own definition of multi-culturalism, and assumes that everyone else shares that definition.
    It's never been properly defined.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post

I live in a very mixed neighborhood, with neighbors of all different races who get along perfectly fine... my SO is half Indian and I'm a mix myself... I haven't seen ANYTHING detrimental to "western culture" occuring around here :rolli:
    I live in a very mixed city when it comes to its own population .

Sniffles

Being opposed to multiculturalism doesn't necessarily mean one is opposed to diversity.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post

Nobody said nuthin' 'bout races... we're talking about cultures.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

my neighbors on one side throw fiestas all summer long, complete with a live mariachi band a few times... I also got a great recipe for tortillas off of them
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett