User Tag List

12311 Last

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Default Mother uses Hot Sauce to punish child - abuse?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...n7313415.shtml

Jessica Beagley, a 36-year-old mother of six, is seen disciplining her adopted son by making him hold hot sauce in his mouth. The reason for the severe punishment? He'd lied.
    I'm a little shocked by the fit people are raising over this. Do you guys view this as child abuse? Should the child be taken from her?

When I was younger my brother and I had pepper put in our mouths for swearing. Personally, as long as it wasn't some ghost pepper shit and just a mild hot sauce, I'm not entirely opposed to this and not sure why people are so appalled.

Thoughts?
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Umm.....not appropriate imo. It's not the same as spanking, this is purely just giving pain as retaliation. And for nothing worse than lying? That's excessive. I don't think the child should be taken away for this (alone) but certainly investigation is warranted since this could easily be part of a pattern of abuse. Or it could be a mom with "good intentions". Can't really say without investigating.

Throwing him in a cold shower is even more inappropriate and I would say that reaches abuse, if you're not there yet with the hot sauce. The combination is concerning. Again, psych evaluation of the mother and very close watch on the family is warranted, if not more. I'm not a social worker (and I think they often go overboard anyway) so I can't say what the "usual" response would be.

/not even close to being a parent
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

The impropriety depends entirely on the hot sauce used.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Cruel, harsh and unusual - I agree with the one person on the video. It's terrible. Is it classified as abuse? I'm not sure. It shows incredibly poor judgement.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I'm no particularly interested in watching the video, so that situation may or may not be abusive. Discipline of children all relies on the same principals: reinforcement of good behavior through reward, and discouragement through applying discomfort. People anymore don't feel comfortable in the application of physical discomfort.

This really don't matter much to me, because a creative parent can find many ways to correct behavior. But I also find that a lot of parents don't do anything to discourage bad behavior in their kids because causing discomfort is required in teaching. This is a very bad thing for the kids' well being.

MBTI
    STP

We have used apple cider vinegar for a short time for having a sassy mouth. Hot sauce can cause the throat to close up and can cause a huge amount of pain. Things like apple cider vinegar is just gross to some people and is enough of a deterent. In our case the fight against trying to use it was worse then the use of it so it stopped and we fell back to taking away privileges.

MBTI
    STUF

I was forced to take a bite out of a bar of soap as a kid, one wonderful side effect of that is a sore asshole. The taste wasn't even the worst part.

It can't be that bad, though, I mean, look how I turned out.
    Whoops.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

From a completely objective psychological reasoning it could work as reinforcment against those acts (although, who in the world doesn't lie?), but from a moral standpoint it could qualify as a lesser form of abuse (not severely damaging in terms of emotional or physical abuse, but still fairly bad). Honestly, grounding can work just as effectively since depriving kids/teens of fun things isn't harmful to them but it'll make them think next time before they misbehave. Using hot suace is just stupid.

figsfiggyfigs

That would be like a treat for me. I effing LOVE hotsauce. :drools:

MBTI
    INTP

This is actually less abusive than washing a child's mouth out with soap; I see nothing wrong with it (and teaching kids not to lie to parents about routine and/or important details is vitally important in its own right).