User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ignite View Post
    It's a burning sensation. It doesn't literally burn/harm the child.
    I'm not listening to a guy named Ignite on the moderate effects of burning......

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Also, my rant wasn't hysterical, but thank you for teaching me about the laws of punishment. I will be much wiser next time.:rolli:
    Given your history, please forgive me if I doubt it... but hope springs eternal, as they say.

ThatGirl

That was sarcasm. Did you see the rolling eyes? I don't need to be wiser next time.

And Oberon, I bet you never made any of those nice well behaved kids of yours hold hot sauce in their mouths.

Oberon

And Oberon, I bet you never made any of those nice well behaved kids of yours hold hot sauce in their mouths.
    No, I never have done that... but neither do I think this mother requires psychiatric evaluation. I mean, maybe in a perfect world she would, but there are other parents out there brutalizing their children with physical acts that do real permanent damage to their bodies. Finding and stopping these maniacs ought to be the priority. Our social services agencies have much better things to do than worry with a lady who punishes her kids for lying by making them take hot sauce.

That was sarcasm. Did you see the rolling eyes? I don't need to be wiser next time.
    See? I was right to doubt you. Oh well... there's always next time.

MBTI
    ISTx

I'm not listening to a guy named Ignite on the moderate effects of burning......
    Leave it to me to know properly

ThatGirl

Fair enough, and I agree. There are far worse things being done, that still doesn't make this act justifiable, because it is not the worst of the worst. It is still a dumb punishment and cruel in nature.

MBTI
    INTP

I got soap and Tabasco when I was a kid, for being snotty to my mom. I don't think it was a huge deal. My evil aunt made my cousin drink Dawn dish soap though. I told my mom and she freaked out on my aunt. So, I guess it just depends.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Thank you for sharing your parenting wisdom, TG.

One thing you might want to remember about punishment: In order for it to have any effect, it's got to be unpleasant.
    Another thing to remember about punishment - most of the time, it doesn't work. It only teaches avoidance of sanction, rather than proper behavior.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Another thing to remember about punishment - most of the time, it doesn't work. It only teaches avoidance of sanction, rather than proper behavior.
    And the easiest means of avoiding sanction is through proper behavior.

This thread reminds me of the spanking thread; many people seem to have an extremely broad interpretation of child abuse, which to me is just as bad as the 'tiger mother' idea.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    And the easiest means of avoiding sanction is through proper behavior.

This thread reminds me of the spanking thread; many people seem to have an extremely broad interpretation of child abuse, which to me is just as bad as the 'tiger mother' idea.
    Not always. Oftentimes, simply not getting caught is a better option - you get what you want, and avoid punishment at the same time. Of course, that only teaches that doing anything is OK if you don't get caught, and does not instill any sense of morality whatsoever.