User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what you are asking.. rephrase? plz?
    Instead of putting the older children in charge of the younger one(s), have the older children do more chores and be more responsible for themselves so it frees up your time to teach the younger ones how to behave and also become self-sufficient.

From my experience, older siblings become petty dictators when given the task of managing the younger ones which doesn't seem to change as they mature.

If this is cause to have children taken away, I daresay the state would be raising about two thirds of the kids in the country, and the other one third would contain a higher than normal proportion of brats.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Instead of putting the older children in charge of the younger one(s), have the older children do more chores and be more responsible for themselves so it frees up your time to teach the younger ones how to behave and also become self-sufficient.

From my experience, older siblings become petty dictators when given the task of managing the younger ones which doesn't seem to change as they mature.
    Oh, I see, that definitely makes sense. I just can't imagine any single way to raise any child or multiples and group family dynamics are so.. dynamic. Parenting feels like a fly by the seat of your pants prospect.

I just realized that I might be coming off arrogant and know-it-all to some. I am very far from claiming to be a perfect parent, but I know a heck of a lot about being one, good or not. As far as me not automatically condemning the use of hot sauce, let me give you a little bit of my point of view.

I'm an INTP with leanings towards F. My daughter and middle child came out of the womb as an ESxJ. She could walk and talk by 9 months, and used those to assert herself in every situation possible. She, like most young children, selfish and impulsive, but she along with that she was super intelligent, a will of steel, and could shrug off any form of punishment known to man. I will tell you, if she had somehow picked up that saying the F-bomb was the thing to do, there would *have* to be some apple-cider vinegar involved to get her to stop.

Like I mentioned, getting her to 6 was rough for both of us. Now she's a very polite young woman. She's bossy, and she uses it to make sure to keep her siblings on track in an almost mother henish way. I can tell that her confidence is a bit shaken at 10 by what it's taken to get here, and it breaks my heart because I know that a well adjusted ESxJ woman is about the most amazing thing in existence. Now, I'm dedicated to letting her know that assertiveness and competitiveness are good things, now that she knows what good is.

I regret some of the mistakes I made so far, but I honestly don't know if there was a better way to do it. Mostly I sympathize with all parents who take their responsibility seriously.

MBTI
    ISTx

Our country is getting more and more pussified every day. This is another story that illustrates that. Using soap/hot sauce used to be a commonplace method of discipline for kids who lied/swore. I'm not saying that's how I would handle things if my child lied, but really, it's harmless at worst. This DOES NOT warrant the law getting involved. Custody rights in question? Give me a break.

*edit: The cold shower seems to be a bit much. It's not necessary in conjunction with giving the hot sauce. I can understand the hot sauce because it's a harmless discipline that doesn't leave lasting physical wounds/discomfort. Both together is like a torture chamber. lol

Regardless, IMO, this woman could do a much better job at disciplining her kids without hot sauce and cold showers.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ignite View Post
    Our country is getting more and more pussified every day. This is another story that illustrates that. Using soap/hot sauce used to be a commonplace method of discipline for kids who lied/swore. I'm not saying that's how I would handle things if my child lied, but really, it's harmless at worst.
    Thats kind of what I thought... At least that soap/pepper was normal if you swore.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Oberon

While the cold showers and hot sauce could have been abusive, I went through worse as a child... and I've read of far, far worse. At least this lady did no lasting physical damage.

MBTI
    ISTx

I was never beaten as a kid and rarely do I feel I was punished unfairly, but on one occasion my dad did tell me to go out and find my own switch to be spanked with. Today, if that got out, he would have been in trouble with the law, which is funny to think about because I have excellent parents.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Spanking with a belt was the main punishment when I was a kid. I always got the "This hurts me..." lecture. It probably did, he's INFP.

MBTI
    ISTx

My dad is an INFx.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

That mother strikes me as completely insane.