User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Oberon

A side question: How many of the participants in this thread, having commented either pro or con, have children of their own?

I know Tigerlily's got kids... I was wondering about the rest of y'all.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    A side question: How many of the participants in this thread, having commented either pro or con, have children of their own?

I don't have any of my own, but I have taken part in raising many. I know it's not the same as raising your own, but I have some insight into how a child's mind works. Unfortunately, I may have even changed more diapers than some people who have raised their own children.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    How difficult is it to communicate and if the child chooses not to listen, remove privileges? Also be quick to compliment and approve of good behaviour.
    Its very difficult when a child quickly runs out of privilages to remove.

MBTI
    INTP

None of my own, though I do have eight nieces and nephews, as well as several honorary nieces and nephews.

Here's another question: how many parents have (or have had) more than three children under the age of twelve? How many with four or more children have full-time jobs?

MBTI
    INTP

No kids, but a niece and nephew. I'm also thinking about how I'd have responded to such a punishment as a child. And I do understand that childrearing is a difficult business.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I have three of my own, ages 7-12. They all responded differently to different types of discipline, the most stubborn of all being my middle daughter. The least correction need is my youngest daughter. She emulates her older siblings, who know how to act. And very little actual discipline has needed to be enacted past the age of 6. They're all generally polite, able to sit quietly when it's necessary and are respectful to other people and their property.

EDIT: For the record (again, I didn't see the vid), I'd never do the hotsauce thing. But then again, my kids don't curse, and niether do I. It's very confusing when you require your kids to not do things that you do. But I think it's going to far to state in all cases that all uses of that is abuse and will scar the child for life.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Yes, it's abusive. It only teached the child to avoid consequences.

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    This is actually less abusive than washing a child's mouth out with soap; I see nothing wrong with it (and teaching kids not to lie to parents about routine and/or important details is vitally important in its own right).
    One of my best friends told me about her mom shoving a bar of soap in her mouth when she was a child, and it was 17 years after and it still completely rocks her.

This is a Si comment to make. Let's pretend that I have a dozen children and fed them all hotsauce and cold showers. Would this make me a Great Example of motherhood? Let's pretend that I have one child and didn't need to feed it hotsauce and cold showers to get him/her to behave. Or if I have none. Do these mean I don't have enough experience to know when abuse is being enacted?

We all know that there are vast numbers of useless parents in the world. Don't make this a dividing line between those that have children and those that don't.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    We all know that there are vast numbers of useless parents in the world. Don't make this a dividing line between those that have children and those that don't.
    I'm just trying to get a sense of the perspective of the group, Metaphor.

As for the OP, I am inclined to withhold judgment on this matter. Parenting is hard, and those who've never done it may not appreciate how hard it can be. I doubt that I would ever resort to cold showers or hot sauce myself, but then I only have my own children to judge by.