User Tag List

First 81617181920 Last

MBTI
    yupp

devil's advocate: one day little johnny is going to be in rehab and he's going to tell the counselar that the whole reason why he's an addict is because his mom glared at him once when he was 6.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    The overwhelming agreement that the hot sauce IS abuse has me wondering about another situation...

My father told me a story about when he was about 12-13 years old. He tried smoking a cigarette for the first time... And his father caught him. His father made him EAT the entire cigarette, filter and all. And he never touched a cigarette again.

Is that child abuse?
    Yes, 100%. (FTR, I never smoked a cig in my entire life, and was never subject of such abuse. So I don't even think it's effective.)
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP

The overwhelming agreement that the hot sauce IS abuse has me wondering about another situation...

My father told me a story about when he was about 12-13 years old. He tried smoking a cigarette for the first time... And his father caught him. His father made him EAT the entire cigarette, filter and all. And he never touched a cigarette again.

Is that child abuse?
    This example IS child abuse; eating a cigarette can cause physical illness, and who knows what the filter will do to the intestines....

Seriously, though, can someone explain to me the substative difference between hot sauce and spanking? From some of these reactions, you'd think we discussing making children gurgle ammonia or something....its just a brief sensation of moderate pain, causing no lasing damage-exactly like spanking.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I think it has to do with the fact that you're forcing the ingestion of something harmful/painful, even if only mildly so, that makes it off-putting for some.

"Here is a substance that causes you physical pain, now you will drink it."

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I think it has to do with the fact that you're forcing the ingestion of something harmful/painful, even if only mildly so, that makes it off-putting for some.
    Hot sauce isn't harmful, though...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Hot sauce isn't harmful, though...
    I'm just generalizing. A lot of things are more emotionally harmful compared to the physical harm they cause.

I love hot sauce. I hope my kid ends up liking it too, so I doubt I'll ever use it as a form of punishment.

Is that child abuse?
    No.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ENFJ

I don't think swearing is unforgiveable, it's much worse to physically abuse your child, which I think this mother did. If my children swear, I tend to overlook it, not paying attention means not feeding the little troll. I think parenting is about leadership, and although I have been very frustrated as a mother at times, I don't believe in physical punishment. I do my best to lead by example, to explain why something is wrong, to choose my battles, and remove privileges if necessary. I also try to be as patient and calm as possible, meaning that if they're angry, I wait them out, but I stand by my decision. Of course I've lost it sometimes, and yelled at them. I think it's good for them to learn that my patience also has it's limits, if they push me far enough.
    Children are just people with less experience

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Is that child abuse?
    I forgot to reply to this.

Yes, that is child abuse. A cigarette can contain enough nicotine (a poison and effective pesticide) to kill a child.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Ya, everytime you make someone do something because you think he did something wrong it is called abusing your power.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]