User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Planned Parenthood Provides Reproductive Health Care to Sex Workers is more like it. This woman is just extremely matter of fact. She knows she's not going to do any good by gasping and reporting and refusing to be sullied, etc. There are always pimps and there are always prostitutes, and she's just dealing with the facts. They're not there to get into the morality of the situation; they're there to provide services and not be all up in your business.
    I'd agree, with the caveat that these are younger girls and not adults. If an adult female wants to be a prostitute than she is free to go down that path (IMO) and I know clinics have a regular client base of area sex workers they are likely familiar with and operate on a somewhat matter-of-fact basis.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    Ok, I stand corrected, I didn't watch the full full version. My youtube has been slow lately but I'll give it a browse. Don't know why they would edit that out though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also added an edit to an above post to clarify a concept.
    Thinking about it, I might be wrong. What I looked at may have just been the cost of the services. She definitely knows what is happening but tough to say if she is accepting the bribe. They talked about how much the price of services was near the start and she said that it was a sliding scale so she doesn't have an exact value right now.
    Ne > Ti > Si >> Te > Se >> Fe > Fi > Ni
    5 so/sp
    Chaotic Neutral/Evil

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Planned Parenthood Provides Reproductive Health Care to Sex Workers is more like it. This woman is just extremely matter of fact. She knows she's not going to do any good by gasping and reporting and refusing to be sullied, etc. There are always pimps and there are always prostitutes, and she's just dealing with the facts. They're not there to get into the morality of the situation; they're there to provide services and not be all up in your business.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Pretty much these.

I would expect PP to provide a service and not ask questions. Much like I expect a psychiatrists/lawyers/priests and such to be confidential about crimes they discover through their professional practice.

Maybe passing information on to the authorities in secret would help (which she may have done), but rejecting them helps no-one.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    Pretty much these.

I would expect PP to provide a service and not ask questions. Much like I expect a psychiatrists/lawyers/priests and such to be confidential about crimes they discover through their professional practice.

Maybe passing information on to the authorities in secret would help (which she may have done), but rejecting them helps no-one.
    Yeah, this is BS. The woman specifically said there are certain things they are mandated to report, and then the lady went on to explain how they could evade that. This is beyond just "not asking questions"... Are some of you people being serious right now?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ignite View Post
    Yeah, this is BS. The woman specifically said there are certain things they are mandated to report, and then the lady went on to explain how they could evade that. This is beyond just "not asking questions"... Are some of you people being serious right now?
    And what do you expect her to report? That there's yet another pimp around? They'd be no evidence or anything.

If she helps the prostitutes practise safe sex, provides treatment and abortions, she'd be helping them out quite a lot. By saying she can't help them and/or reporting them, they'd move on somewhere else (and others in similar situations wouldn't go to PP for help). It's far better they get treatment there.

Someone did report this to PP and FBI, which is how they found out it was a sting, but hopefully they would have provided treatment anyway.

MBTI
    INtP

You won't see it on the news because it's not news. This is basically Lila Rose's job, setting up these videos. Here is the one from last year depicting a worker who didn't report a statutory rape case. The article is worthwhile; it goes into the quandry between putting the woman's health (and needed procedures) first, versus valid reporting of crimes which may put the patient at risk (or jeopardize or health care). Sticky wicket.

Pertaining to the current video, the employee shown is fired so the appropriate recourse was taken. What's all this handwringing about? I don't get it.

The people who make these videos are lucky. Give me a six figure grant, a hidden camera, and enough Burger Kings and I can show you how a simple fast food joint is actually interested in SELLING DRUGS. TO YOUR KIDS.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    You won't see it on the news because it's not news.
    Kind of like Sarah Palin's 'cross-hairs' map was not news? The determination about whether a story qualifies as news is largely dependent on the bias of the people who filter the news, which I presume is the point of the OP.

Somehow, I doubt the mainstream media would be as blase if, say, a merchant at a gunshow ignored a prospective client who bragged about having used weapons in gang wars.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Kind of like Sarah Palin's 'cross-hairs' map was not news? The determination about whether a story qualifies as news is largely dependent on the bias of the people who filter the news, which I presume is the point of the OP.

Somehow, I doubt the mainstream media would be as blase if, say, a merchant at a gunshow ignored a prospective client who bragged about having used weapons in gang wars.
    Both of these issues are receiving a wide range of media coverage. The difference in the two cases is that this was presented as a valid piece of news in and of itself, whereas in the other case the shooting was the actual piece of news and the Palin/right rhetoric was proferred as a partial explanation (wrongly).

Lastly, I'm not sure what your distinction about what "mainstream media" is. However, if anyone on Fox News uses that wastebasket term as if they aren't a part of this "mainstream media," cannot be trusted due to that simple misinformation alone.

MBTI
    INTP

Many disagree with you concerning the 'validity' of the news in question. Such opinions differ depending on the bias and perspective of the individual. The gun-show case would fit the narrative subscribed to by most journalists, and be presented as evidence of a larger problem (much like the Sarah Palin example). The Planned Parenthood case fits the narrative subscribed to by many people outside the field of journalism. If the 'mainstream media' (i.e. the majority of national papers and the regular broadcast news channels, which still outperform cable news such as FNC) coveres one, they should be expected to cover the other or lose credibility.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    You won't see it on the news because it's not news. This is basically Lila Rose's job, setting up these videos. Here is the one from last year depicting a worker who didn't report a statutory rape case. The article is worthwhile; it goes into the quandry between putting the woman's health (and needed procedures) first, versus valid reporting of crimes which may put the patient at risk (or jeopardize or health care). Sticky wicket.
    I don't believe this is any less newsworthy than most of the other stories news outlets cover. I think it's generally a good idea for people to be exposed to issues like these, where there's a lot of gray area.

Pertaining to the current video, the employee shown is fired so the appropriate recourse was taken. What's all this handwringing about? I don't get it.
    Did you not read the thread? I think it's obvious why people are upset about it.

Are people not allowed to comment just because she was fired? Are people no longer allowed to complain about Clinton or Bush because neither are president anymore?

The people who make these videos are lucky. Give me a six figure grant, a hidden camera, and enough Burger Kings and I can show you how a simple fast food joint is actually interested in SELLING DRUGS. TO YOUR KIDS.
    You sound offended.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."