Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Default Liberals Appear To Have Higher Average IQs as Children

I thought this article was quite interesting, because I always presumed liberals had higher EQ, but I was surprised to see research also shows higher IQ.

Read article here.

Also, I know there are going to be swords and bloodshed following this post, so I'm gonna back away slowly and let you guyz finish.

It must be a coincidence!

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Interesting - this leaves me with a lot to think about. I never thought about the fact that in traditional hunter-gatherer cultures, 'liberalism' is non-existent - but now that they say it, it makes sense. One thing they don't fully explain is why evolutionarily novel = intelligence. Are there any psych students willing to?

As they say, the implications of this theory are far reaching:
    Incidentally, this finding substantiates one of the persistent complaints among conservatives. Conservatives often complain that liberals control the media or the show business or the academia or some other social institutions. The Hypothesis explains why conservatives are correct in their complaints. Liberals do control the media, or the show business, or the academia, among other institutions, because, apart from a few areas in life (such as business) where countervailing circumstances may prevail, liberals control all institutions. They control the institutions because liberals are on average more intelligent than conservatives and thus they are more likely to attain the highest status in any area of (evolutionarily novel) modern life.

EDIT: This guy questions the methodology and the bias:
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ironshrink/201004/conservatism-thought-disorder-in-need-cure

Psychology, which is unquestionably dominated by liberals, has developed an ugly habit of falsely maligning the political right. Through respectable-looking "research" we sling mud with flawed data and tendentious methodology
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

The stereotype is that intellectuals are liberal, so this is not surprising at all. I also wouldn't be surprised to find that conservatives are wealthier than liberals. How about a study with a surprising result?
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Also, I know there are going to be swords and bloodshed following this post, so I'm gonna back away slowly and let you guyz finish.
    That's a given.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

So what happens to them by the time they become adults and can vote?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I know what the ultimate meaning of this OP is, but I can read the title as an insult.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Interesting - this leaves me with a lot to think about. I never thought about the fact that in traditional hunter-gatherer cultures, 'liberalism' is non-existent - but now that they say it, it makes sense.
    Modern concepts were non-existent in pre-modern times? No shit! Someone should write a paper... oh wait...
    One thing they don't fully explain is why evolutionarily novel = intelligence. Are there any psych students willing to?
    They link to it:
    The theory of the evolution of general intelligence suggests that general intelligence evolved as a domain-specific psychological adaptation to solve evolutionarily novel problems. Their logical conjunction suggests a qualification of the Savanna Principle and leads to a new hypothesis about individual preferences and values.

If general intelligence evolved to deal with evolutionarily novel problems, then the human brain’s difficulty in comprehending and dealing with evolutionarily novel entities and situations (proposed in the Savanna Principle) should interact with general intelligence, such that the Savanna Principle holds stronger among less intelligent individuals than among more intelligent individuals. More intelligent individuals should be better able to comprehend and deal with evolutionarily novel (but not evolutionarily familiar) entities and situations than less intelligent individuals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    So what happens to them by the time they become adults and can vote?
    Among other things, they age and they vote - in favor of gay marriage, for instance.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Link fixed.