User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/persuade

I don't think bias is a problem. If you're an intelligent person, you will see the bias and filter it out. And since we're talking about college students, not high school dropouts, I think most, if not all, would be capable of filtering out bias. The complaints about bias sound more like butt-hurt than legitimate concerns.
    Well duh! My point is that since each one of us is paying for this service, we shouldn`t need to be filtering out any bias.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Well duh! My point is that since each one of us is paying for this service, we shouldn`t need to be filtering out any bias.
    This statement is a long way from your original claim of brainwashing.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

This statement is a long way from your original claim of brainwashing.
    I haven`t moved from my original stance. It is brainwashing.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

If you honestly believe higher education is brainwashing students, you have to present evidence of coercion or I won't be able to take your seriously. I'm getting the impression this is already a fool's errand.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

If you honestly believe higher education is brainwashing students, you have to present evidence of coercion or I won't be able to take your seriously. I'm getting the impression this is already a fool's errand.
    Stop twisting my words. Higher education isn`t brainwashing students. Higher education institutions are brainwashing students. A clear distinction and one that should be obvious had you gone to any of these institutions.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

You're right. Everyone should go get brainwashed by church and be a Republican instead.

FTR, anyone who was a strong conservative going into college that I knew was still a pretty strong conservative after a few years of going to my university - that includes the right wing ISTJ Christian girl I knew, the moderate INT conservative guy I liked for a while, and my wacked-out ENxx libertarian gun-nut friend.

My favorite math professor was a libertarian, and I'm sure some of my other professors were conservative, and I went to a historically black college, which you would imagine would be a hotbed of liberal extremism.

I couldn`t disagree with you more, marm. No one should be brainwashed. They should be taught and given as much unbiased information as possible.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I doubt there is much brainwashing in maths. I went to a very conservative private school and a public school and they both sucked at any sort of bias in my engineering major. You need to get into specific classes and/or majors to see what they are talking about. My liberal history teacher in high school showed a lot more bias than any class I took in college.(he didn't bother me but he was definitely biased) Hard to be politically biased with the first law of thermo.

I know people who had to deal with whack political agendas in "women's studies"

I like what my infp friend says about politics "it's just more us against them"

I`m not going to discuss my majors but they weren`t poli-sci, basketweaving, art, psychology, sociology or women`s studies.

Glad Chomsky got it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    I couldn`t disagree with you more, marm. No one should be brainwashed. They should be taught and given as much unbiased information as possible.
    I don't know where you were brainwashed - did you go to one of the Seven Sisters or some high ranking, obviously liberal elite Ivy League college or something? Is there a special agenda at certain schools I'm not aware of?

I'm pretty sure my American history teacher/lawyer (he only taught one evening class per week as a side job) was a fiscal conservative, seeing as that he was a Friend of Coal but he still taught us about the disparity in fairness in history, and what led to people forming unions - and I'm pretty fucking sure this guy was not a liberal. I'd bet on it.

Just because someone tells you something you don't like about human history or sociology doesn't mean they're trying to brainwash you to be a communiss.

TEH COMMUNISS ARE COMIN.