Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I don't think it actually happens, and if it does, it's incredibly rare. Demeaning people with education is just a tactic used by anti-intellectuals.
    Yes, in my experience generally when conservatives complain about liberal brainwashing what they mean is that they don't want their children to be taught too much about evolution and science, nor do they want it suggested that minority races and women and homosexuals might have special concerns.

I don't see how that could be considered "brainwashing." If anything, I think that being an undergraduate, at least, even in liberal arts programs teaches you to examine why other people might believe as they do, and it exposes you to a broader range of types of people.

I don't know about graduate school, though, what the climate is there.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I thought this article was quite interesting, because I always presumed liberals had higher EQ, but I was surprised to see research also shows higher IQ.

Read article here.

Also, I know there are going to be swords and bloodshed following this post, so I'm gonna back away slowly and let you guyz finish.
    IQ is a class thing. Classwise, the liberals stand higher up in the social ladder.
    The conservatives equal the petite bourgeoisie only. Humdrum existence. Garden variety.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

IQ is not a class thing.

Give me a break, dude.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Oy, this topic. My field is plagued with these concerns, you know?

There is understood to be a strong left-wing bias in the field of sociology. It's a very frustrating thing to see someone who identifies themselves as right-wing observe an abundance of lefty sociologists and say "sociology must be wrong about all of this" instead of "left-wingers might right about some things". That of course is even assuming it's true that the bias is there.

I say, historically, the side that pits itself against academia tends to be the loser. What's sad is that the right wing, at least in the USA, has become gradually more at odds with academics. Psychologists, sociologists, anthropologists, and even fields as "hard" as climatology are getting more and more demonized by the right. Yes, one must treat these scholars to skepticism. But when it's become the norm that your beliefs are popularly rejected by the academics in their respective fields, it's probable that you are on a sinking ship.

Those who have a stake in the cause would be wise to fight this. Anti-intellectualism is among the worst things that can happen to an ideology.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Classwise, the liberals stand higher up in the social ladder.
    The conservatives equal the petite bourgeoisie only. Humdrum existence. Garden variety.
    Where?!
    Go to sleep, iguana.

ThatGirl

If the liberals do in fact have children with higher IQs, wouldn't it be because they didn't box their perceptions into linear thinking?

Meaning an environment without limitation to express and explore.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I thought their definition of liberal was very interesting, too: "the genuine concern for the welfare of genetically unrelated others and the willingness to contribute larger proportions of private resources for the welfare of such others."
    This is exactly how I would define it.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    If the liberals do in fact have children with higher IQs, wouldn't it be because they didn't box their perceptions into linear thinking?

Meaning an environment without limitation to express and explore.
    I don't think that it's just the children of liberals, it's people who define themselves as being very liberal as adults, and what their IQ was as children.

I was raised in a home that was mostly right wing conservative Republican, and working to lower-middle-class, to boot.

I did have liberal relatives though, damn them, teaching me not to refer to black people as "niggers" like my Republican Christian grandfather did.

He taught me to read though, and pushed me to excel in academics... if my IQ scores were above average, I actually have him to think, ironically enough.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Now that I think about it, this is probably what drags down the average IQ of the conservative side - all of these Republicans who are rabidly racist, sexist, hysterically religious, and anti-intellectual.

The Republican party would be nothing without them.

That is how the fiscal conservatives get poor, working class people on their side, btw...by appealing to their archaic, uneducated belief systems. Otherwise they might wise up.

I don't think it's a mistake that there are more Catholic Democrats than any other Christian group, despite the fact that Catholics tend to be anti-abortion and believe homosexuality is unethical. It's because the Catholic church educates their people and their priests and sometimes the curriculum is tougher in Catholic schools than it is in regular public schools.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Ever gone through undergrad and grad school? You'll know exactly why "liberals" appear to have higher IQs. There's a whole ton of brainwashing going on within these institutions of higher learning.
    I was liberal minded before university. I did see liberal leanings in my lecturers but then I took Arts. I doubt science, mathematics, law, commerce etc would have the same bias.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Yes! This is my sentiment exactly, but Chomsky put it far better than I could have. One huge problem with most liberals is that they don't realize that they've drunk their own brand of Kool-Aid. Because liberals would resent that they've drunk any Kool-Aid while conservatives seem to relish it. Liberal Kool-Aid is more subtle, but it's still there.
    I've never fully grasped this whole American phrase of "drinking the kool-aid".

Anyone care to explain it?
    Liberal kool-aid isn't subtle at all, IMO. I'm liberal and I very much resent people who make EVERYTHING an issue about race, gender, etc. to a point that it seems ridiculous and comical...there are people who are so afraid to be racist that they become white-hating-whites. There are feminists who are so terrified of very real and oppressive patriarchal behaviors that they take it to an extreme and start hating all men, it seems, even men who don't behave in that manner and have valid complaints themselves.

Then, you know, that whole crap like "rape jokes aren't funny" and my ENFJ sister is actually made *uncomfortable* by the show Family Guy because she said someone on that show clearly has repressed anger that they're turning into comedy...and I'm like, so what? Doesn't a lot of art, including comedy, begin as negative emotion, and isn't it healthy to channel it into art rather than being violent or a miserable person?
    All that stuff is 'too liberal' to me and it drives me batty. Same with people who see no purpose for guns at all, and don't see the dangers of communism.

I might talk about how much I hate libertarians and argue with more conservative Republicans, but trust me when I say there are Democrats I avoid.

My bff also left a particular college town because she couldn't stand the upper-middle-class hypocritical liberal elitism there...and she's a registered Democrat and very liberal.
    Agreed. I'm very liberal, previously die-hard liberal, but as I have matured I have been alienated by a lot of the hard-left ideology. But then anyone who sees the world in such a black and white way or who blindly adheres to an political ideology without ever questioning it, I find annoyingly ignorant and irrational.

So, yeah - there are liberals and then there are liberals
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Now that I think about it, this is probably what drags down the average IQ of the conservative side - all of these Republicans who are rabidly racist, sexist, hysterically religious, and anti-intellectual.

The Republican party would be nothing without them.

That is how the fiscal conservatives get poor, working class people on their side, btw...by appealing to their archaic, uneducated belief systems. Otherwise they might wise up.
    As appealing as it is to think of these people as low IQ, they aren't always.

For example, my dad's an engineer with a college degree and a high IQ and he's still bigoted against any minority group he can think of.
    -end of thread-