User Tag List

First 51314151617 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    examples?

Do you mean things like saying global warming and evolution are true?? teaching politics directly? somewhere in between?
    Teaching only method, assuming that were even possible, is not practical.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    It depends; I don't really believe in humanities anyway, hence why I chose to study engineering.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    I've repped you with the information.
    Interesting....and surprising, for that major. I don't know enough about the area to speculate, though (some would say bias where others would say truth, I suspect). I still don't think most majors/schools/classes teach inappropriately biased materials, and certainly not intentionally....

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I don't understand what "method" is here. Are you just saying that everything is biased to left vs. right politics?
    -end of thread-

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

You guys are insanely closed minded if you don't think the humanities and the arts are valuable subjects. And you're accusing other people of brainwashing?

This kind of rigidity suggests to me a fear of anything that doesn't match your own world view, ironically.

Interesting....and surprising, for that major. I don't know enough about the area to speculate, though (some would say bias where others would say truth, I suspect). I still don't think most majors/schools/classes teach inappropriately biased materials, and certainly not intentionally....
    Key word. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Bear in mind that there are enough think-tank types who've written about this phenomena.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    You guys are insanely closed minded if you don't think the humanities and the arts are NOT valuable subjects. And you're accusing other people of brainwashing?
    My degree's in English lit. Of course, I haven't taken a line-in-the-sand position in this thread, either.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    It depends; I don't really believe in humanities anyway, hence why I chose to study engineering.
    This is not a black and white issue, there's a spectrum of objectivity vs subjectivity. It's possible to stick to only the method with mathematics and hard sciences (though I believe we do so at the expense of creativity). The closer you move to soft sciences (like economics) and humanities, the more subjective they become.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I don't understand what "method" is here. Are you just saying that everything is biased to left vs. right politics?
    I think they're talking about objectivity. You can teach someone that 1+1=2 without ever delving into things like politics. It's impossible to teach history in such a way.

What it comes down to is that some people have a problem with the personal opinions of some teachers (who I would agree tend to be more liberal than the rest of the population), so they want to sanitize the message of these teachers so that it is devoid of any personal opinions. I don't think that is possible, outside of the hard sciences.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Like they don't exist?

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

???
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte