First 91011121321 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I think that less educated, and possibly less sane people are attracted to the conservative party in the United States for unethical and bizarre reasons I've already mentioned earlier in the thread. While highly educated people may value conservative values simply for the sake of their individuality, freedom, or their wallet, the poor (who ironically suffer because of conservative beliefs) tend to be attracted to the Republican party because of zealous religiosity and outdated racist and sexist ideologies.

So it drags the whole party down. I believe this may be why libertarians are attempting to create their own third party, but I don't see how any political party can take control of a nation without the support of the working class.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Oh, and yes, I think the extremism of the two parties is counterproductive, unhealthy, saddening, and yet sometimes comical.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I think that less educated, and possibly less sane people are attracted to the conservative party in the United States for unethical and bizarre reasons I've already mentioned earlier in the thread.
    So the bizarre/contradictory homogenisation only affects the Republican party? If I am against expensive foreign excursions, religious bigotism and I want my vote to count, then I am also in support of unsustainable increases in welfare (including corporate welfare)?

Oh, and yes, I think the extremism of the two parties is counterproductive, unhealthy, saddening, and yet sometimes comical.
    The rhetoric can often be extreme, but the policy rarely is.
    It shows you how poorly constructed the US political system really is, if methods like the "southern strategies" actually work.

The outcomes of elections themselves also happens to feed back into political beliefs.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    So the bizarre homogenisation only affects the Republican party? If I am against expensive foreign excursions, religious bigotism and I want my vote to count, then I am also in support of unsustainable increases in welfare (including corporate welfare)?
    The homogenisation affects both parties, have you even read the entire thread? P.S. You sound like a libertarian.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

P.S. You sound like a libertarian.
    Really? I was testing your response.
    Why do you the feel to place individuals in tightly defined boxes? (this is a serious question)

PS, I have only read parts of the thread, but I have read all of your posts.

Banned

Architectonic, I agree entirely that it is irresponsible to use an experiment that fundamentally reveals 'People who support government support from people outside their family groups have better language skills' means 'liberals are smarter'; generally I would love to endorse the position that liberals are smarter than conservatives. But this isn't proof in any way that they are; there are so many fundamental errors in the study that it definitely deserves a 'bad science' stamp.

Studies like this which are poorly conducted and where the author finds the evidence to justify the conclusion in a biased way do nothing other than to create extremes of positions rather than encouraging people to understand the great value in pragmatism and alternative positions.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

It is more than that though, since in the second part of the study, Kanazawa had results that suggested that self identifying as 'liberal' did not necessarily mean support for all aspects of liberal ideology.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    It is more than that though, since in the second part of the study, Kanazawa had results that suggested that self identifying as 'liberal' did not necessarily mean support for all aspects of liberal ideology.
    Indeed, I would suggest that many (or indeed most!) people who would classify themselves as conservatives do support the distribution of wealth in some way (to a point) - as it were; everyone realises the optimum is neither none nor all; there is a happy medium somewhere.

I'm not necessarily trying to be provocative with this (I know it might seem so), but considering the actually methods and biases of the study work, what it would seem to imply is that the more extroverted you are then the more likely you are to favour sharing resources outside of your family group and that those who are more introverted tend to be the opposite

That seems intuitive in a way, I don't see anything necessarily wrong with it or right with my statement above. What they've really done is gauge opinion; I don't think they've linked anything to ability.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Or is it just proof that the conservatives in our country are dragged down by the dregs of society?

I think that's the truth of the whole conundrum. There are very intelligent conservatives. But their side gets stuck with all the Bible thumping toothless inbred retards.

It creates an unfair unbalance, but I think through sheer rhetoric they bring it on themselves.
    Couldn't you as easily make comments about the low class baby daddies who are democrats? I don't get it really.

If the study is true yay liberals. Still doesnt make liberal politics correct. If it's bunk then that's how it is, and isn't really surprising. If it's just going to end up another political tool then everyone gets screwed.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

It's important for people to know that liberals and conservatives aren't just two groups of people who share lots of common traits. The political bases of Dems and Reps include very different socio-economic groups within their own parties.

Low-income white people tend to vote Republican, low-income minorities tend to vote Democrat. However, people with an education tend to vote Democrat more often, and the more education they have (Masters, PhD) the more Democrat and liberal they are. But there is also an educated business class with high-income and that supports Republicans. However on average, liberal Democrats make more money.

Which group is more intelligent on average? Liberals. I mean, come on, there's high-profile conservatives that will openly use anti-intellectualism, just to appeal to their base. But there are plenty of smart and highly educated (two things which aren't always one in the same) conservatives.