User Tag List

First 8910111220 Last

Results 91 to 100 of 214

  1. #91
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    P.S. and I only have inklings about my professors political leanings because of having conversations and friendships with them outside of the classroom. One is still my friend on facebook. It's not like any of this was discussed as a math or history lesson, btw, before you become frightened.

  2. #92
    The Eighth Colour Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL
    Posts
    1,366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi Kanazawa article in Psychology Today
    The examination of the 10-volume compendium The Encyclopedia of World Cultures, which describes all human cultures known to anthropology (more than 1,500) in great detail, as well as extensive primary ethnographies of traditional societies, reveals that liberalism as defined above is absent in these traditional cultures. While sharing of resources, especially food, is quite common and often mandatory among hunter-gatherer tribes, and while trade with neighboring tribes often takes place, there is no evidence that people in contemporary hunter-gatherer bands freely share resources with members of other tribes.
    Oh dear.
    Also, what makes certain journalists think they can quote results of studies without actually citing those studies?

    The actual article is here: http://spq.sagepub.com/content/early...61602.abstract
    I might do a quick review later.

    edit-
    The genuine concern for the welfare of genetically unrelated others and the willingness to contribute larger proportions of private resources for the welfare of such others
    Contemporary US "Liberalism" does not have a monopoly on the above statement. Least by which, the fact that individuals themselves don't ever support homogeneous ideology.

  3. #93
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,907

    Default

    If you say some assertion about the way things are is a part of your beliefs, then you can say those who teach otherwise are biased against your opinion and are trying to manipulate their students away from your beliefs. So, if you are a creationist, you can say that schools only teaching evolution are biased manipulators. That would be a true thing to say. It just doesn't mean that's wrong in anyway, either.

    There's the problem.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  4. #94
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    I once read conservative people have bigger p-ness from childhood on. Maybe that's why there are so many of them ?
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    I`m not going to discuss my majors but they weren`t poli-sci, basketweaving, art, psychology, sociology or women`s studies.

    Glad Chomsky got it.
    I agree with your sentiment Metaphor.

    Education exists to teach facts and method. It doesn't exist to create opinion. Just like religion shouldn't get involved in politics the politics shouldn't get involved in education.

  6. #96
    The Eighth Colour Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL
    Posts
    1,366

    Default

    Actually, rather than a review, how about we discuss the possible biases and interesting findings of the study?

    Confirmation bias - have these sorts of experiments been tried before, but not published, because they did not find significant results?

    Social reasons - does the same effect occur in other countries with different cultural and political biases? Or is it simply a case of those with slightly higher intelligence conforming with the prevailing social norms at the age that their preferences were measured. Also, when were the questionnaires conducted? Beliefs can change over time and be shaped by current events.

    Methodology of measuring intelligence - which test was used? How well does the PPVT reflect general intelligence? (or choosing a few synonyms on a multiple choice questionaire or the Differential Aptitude Test for that matter, which is also verbally based.)
    In fact, Kanasawa himself points that the composite g factor is only an indicator of general intelligence.

    A similar study by Harvey and Harvey in 1970, which was used the aformentioned DAT, found (n=393):
    The more intelligent the student, the less likely he was to hold Militaristic, Anti-Communistic, or Super Patriotic attitudes, and the more likely he was to have a strong Belief in the Bill of Rights.
    A fifth ideological dimension, Economic Liberalism, was found to be negatively correlated with intelligence: the more intelligent student was more likely to be an economic conservative. Intelligence was negatively correlated with Authoritarianism: the more intelligent student was less likely to manifest authoritarian predispositions. Intelligence was significantly correlated with political information and cognition: the higher a student's intelligence, the more sophisticated as his level of political cognition and political information. All three information variables, Knowledge of Political Facts, Understanding of the Political System, and Understanding of Partisan Politics were significantly positively correlated with intelligence. Sense of Relevance of Government and Sense of Citizen Duty were also significantly positively correlated with intelligence.
    Also, why is intelligence only useful for evolutionary novel problems? Why is Liberalism as Kanasawa defines it evolutionary novel? Or can it be argued that most problems in modern human life are novel?

    Also, Kanasawa made the following interesting statements:

    Quote Originally Posted by S1
    correlation between measures of intelligence at Waves I and III (taken seven years apart) is not extremely high (r = .5844, p = .00001, n = 13,943)
    Quote Originally Posted by S1
    A comparison of standardized coefficients shows that adolescent intelligence has a larger effect on adult political ideology than any other variable in the model except for religion (Catholicism, Protestantism, and other religion).
    Quote Originally Posted by S2
    However, even though more intelligent GSS respondents are more likely to identify themselves as liberals (Table 3, Column 1), they are actually less likely to agree with the statement ‘‘It is the responsibility of the government.’’ (r =-.236, p = .00001, n=5,849) or the statement ‘‘The government in Washington ought to reduce.’’ (r = –.167, p = .00001, n = 5,814). Net of the same demographic controls as in Table 3 (age, sex, race, education, earnings, religion, and survey year), intelligence is significantly negatively associated with agreement with the first statement (b = –.147, p = .00001) or the second statement (b = –.067, p =.00001) in multiple ordinal regression equations.
    The full statements were relating to "income difference between the rich and the poor". The GSS is the General Social Survey, conduced by the National Opinion Research Center at the University of Chicago.

    Quote Originally Posted by S2
    Net of the same control variables, intelligence among nonblack respondents is significantly positively associated with agreement with the statement that the government has a special obligation to help blacks (b = .054, p=.001), and intelligence s significantly positively associated with the likelihood that the GSS respondents of all aces state that their federal income tax is too low (b = .052, p=.001).
    The above contradictions are interesting. More taxation, but the federal government should not be the one redistributing income? Except for blacks?

  7. #97
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Or is it just proof that the conservatives in our country are dragged down by the dregs of society?

    I think that's the truth of the whole conundrum. There are very intelligent conservatives. But their side gets stuck with all the Bible thumping toothless inbred retards.

    It creates an unfair unbalance, but I think through sheer rhetoric they bring it on themselves.

  8. #98
    The Eighth Colour Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL
    Posts
    1,366

    Default

    Or is it proof that the idea of individuals supporting homogenous ideological values is a myth? Or that talking about "conservatism" and "liberalism" is often meaningless?

  9. #99
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    You state that as though you think you're saying something deep. Of course conservative and liberal don't mean the same thing in every country. In fact, in some countries what is considered liberal here is conservative there. To me that's just a given.

    The article is clearly about the United States.

  10. #100
    The Eighth Colour Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL
    Posts
    1,366

    Default

    I don't understand. How do my comments not apply to the discussion of beliefs of individuals in the USA?


    Do you think the trends of attempting to homogenise beliefs into the aforementioned ideologies has had a healthy or unhealthy effect on politics in the USA?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-14-2016, 03:45 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-03-2014, 07:00 AM
  3. [ISFJ] ISFJs are annoying to have as friends?
    By Hecuba in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-28-2013, 10:23 PM
  4. Beautiful people have higher IQ`s!!!!!
    By knight in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 08-02-2011, 10:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO