User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Quality...

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

I think defining quality might be a little silly.... its like describing what is perfection....

I don't think it exists in the affirmative sense; that is, one does not know when one actually has quality (a priori anyway), but one knows when he or she does NOT have quality. When my ADIDAS sandals fall apart 1 month after purchase due to cheap glue being the only thing holding em together = NOT quality.

Therefor, I think that which is quality is merely that survives or outperforms, by comparison sake alone. The only reason Toyota cars are regarded as such great quality is cuz of really shitty Fords and Dodges

however, its not just a "popular" opinion of quality, either. Surly there is an objective, physical criteria for what "quality product" ought to be, but that varies so much......

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Hirsch63 View Post
    How do you define "quality" and how does your perception of it influence your purchasing decisions in food, durable goods or media?

When producing your own work wether as a student, employee or entrepeneur does the same standard of quality that you use when purchasing apply to what you produce for consumption of others?

Over the course of your working lifetime have you noticed a change for better or worse in the quality of products that you have familiarity with?

For those who have made a direct comparision, how does the quality of American goods compare with similar items produced elsewhere?

Okay then, is Quality irrelavent to your life? Is everything essentially disposable?

In the past month I've recieved over forty dollars in refunds for crappy food. One was bottled waters that tasted like floor cleaner got in there. Name brand salad dressing that tasted like pure vinegar, cold cereal with cranberries that had steams and pieces in there, cookies that hadn't been completely cooked.

I am also being billed for several doctor visits that I never had, in another state from that which I live. I haven't even set foot in that state for over six years.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

How do you define "quality" and how does your perception of it influence your purchasing decisions in food, durable goods or media?

When producing your own work wether as a student, employee or entrepeneur does the same standard of quality that you use when purchasing apply to what you produce for consumption of others?

Over the course of your working lifetime have you noticed a change for better or worse in the quality of products that you have familiarity with?

For those who have made a direct comparision, how does the quality of American goods compare with similar items produced elsewhere?

Okay then, is Quality irrelavent to your life? Is everything essentially disposable?
    Quality is something I think about a lot, especially since I view it totally differently as both a producer than I do as a consumer.

"Quality" is often in opposition to "value". When I'm a consumer I think of "quality" in an absolute sense meaning you just want the best product possible regardless of service. When I consider "value" I want the most bang for the buck, which means I will accept lower quality for a better price. Brand A lightbulbs cost $10 and last a year, while brand B lightbulbs cost $1 and last 6 months. Brand A has a higher quality while brand B has a better value.

When I'm a producer of something that I'm passionate about (often something artistic), then quality is of huge importance to me. That's because passion is a more powerful motivator than money is. When I'm working on something that I'm passionate about I simply want to deliver the highest quality work possible even if I could be making more money for my time producting a lower quality. That's because there is intrinsic value in doing the work itself, so money is not much of an issue. On the other hand when I'm working on something that I'm not passionate about I just want as much money as I can get. I.e. the work has no intrinsic value so I just want an external reward.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quality to me is about satisfaction. If I'm satisfied with a product, there isn't any need to get a different one.

If I'm satisfied with a piece of work I've done, it'd be because it's well-made, but it's kind of hard to describe quality when it can be arbitrarily measured in something like carpentry. Quality is something that's even harder to express in something like a paper.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Brand A lightbulbs cost $10 and last a year, while brand B lightbulbs cost $1 and last 6 months. Brand A has a higher quality while brand B has a better value.

In this hypothetical, which company do you sense will remain viable over the long term? Does this correlate with which company you belive has the "best" idea and the most innovative solution to your economy's long term energy usage concerns?

On the other hand when I'm working on something that I'm not passionate about I just want as much money as I can get. I.e. the work has no intrinsic value so I just want an external reward.

So (if I read you correctly) the work that you do is mostly about satisfying your immediate needs rather than taking responsibility for the long term (societal, environmental) implications of your product?
    Thanks for responding...these perspectives interest me.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    Quality to me is about satisfaction. If I'm satisfied with a product, there isn't any need to get a different one.

If I'm satisfied with a piece of work I've done, it'd be because it's well-made, but it's kind of hard to describe quality when it can be arbitrarily measured in something like carpentry. Quality is something that's even harder to express in something like a paper.
    So quality is about adequately addressing an immediate need, in preference to concious choice that might involve some compromise of personal satisfaction with a larger consideration of societal impact? How the product got in your hand and where it goes when you are finished with it are not a concern?

The criteria for a paper should be well defined and proper examples of method should be available for study...doesn't mean it's easy...
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

The concept of "quality" seems so hazy to me. I can't quite get my mind around it in practice. I've tried to replace my thinking about quality with thinking about integrity, which seems like a less amorphous concept to me. I still had to look up integrity to find the words to explain it, but these definitions corresponded to how I was thinking wordlessly about the concept:

Integrity: an undivided or unbroken completeness or totality with nothing wanting.
    Integrity is consistency of actions, values, methods, measures and principles.
    The common thread seems to be whether someone or something meets the goals it sets. That would mean, for example, that art with integrity is art that successfully does whatever the artist set out to do. That doesn't mean that I have to value those goals in the same way that the creator did. I can place greater or lesser value on the goals themselves, as well as whether the product met those goals.

What this means for me is that if a product is created for a purpose that resonates with me (some examples: sustainability, simplicity, durability, positive environmental impact, beauty) and is successful in meeting that purpose, I find the product to have integrity and I'll consider obtaining it. There are products created for purposes that don't resonate with me, so it doesn't matter how successful they are in meeting that purpose--I probably won't want them.

This is weird, trying to put words on an internal process that is usually wordless.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I've tried to replace my thinking about quality with thinking about integrity...this means for me is that if a product is created for a purpose that resonates with me (some examples: sustainability, simplicity, durability, positive environmental impact, beauty) and is successful in meeting that purpose, I find the product to have integrity...

This is weird, trying to put words on an internal process that is usually wordless.
    This is exactly what I meant by Quality as a wholistic expression .....of physically manifest responsibility. This sustains the system in which it exists allowing it to thrive in the long term for the benefit of all. You're just awesome.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

So quality is about adequately addressing an immediate need, in preference to concious choice that might involve some compromise of personal satisfaction with a larger consideration of societal impact? How the product got in your hand and where it goes when you are finished with it are not a concern?

The criteria for a paper should be well defined and proper examples of method should be available for study...doesn't mean it's easy...
    Quality can't be holistically defined because there are subjective views on what makes a product a quality product. Some people prefer to wipe with really tough toilet paper, others prefer pillow-like toilet paper. There isn't a one-size fits all for everything.

Quality is not about addressing an immediate need. I could be hungry, and I could want to have a PB&J. I could choose Jif peanut butter or something else. The Jif and the other will satisfy my hunger, true, however there are multiple factors involved. If I wanted biodegradable packaging, I could choose the product that would satisfy me the most for that, or I could choose one that tastes good. I would be most satisfied by a product that is tasty and biodegradable in these scenarios. It pretty much comes to an overall satisfaction about everything you could possibly want.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;